This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

LR not showing Fuji Film Simulations

Discussion in 'Post Processing Forum' started by shoessar, May 3, 2018.

1. shoessar

shoessar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

May be I am doing something wrong. I updated yesterday to laterst LR and I am not seeing "Fuji Film Simulations". Any idea?

2. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

They have changed the layout of Lightroom. The simulations are now at the top of the right panel in the Develop module instead of at the bottom.
    Jump onto Youtube and find a tutorial on how the new version operates.

3. shoessar

shoessar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Richard I will check this out soon

4. John Beardsworth

John Beardsworth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Look in the Basic panel, above white balance.

5. ru2far2c

ru2far2c Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I thought I saw somewhere recently that LR did a new updates that will allow you reinstall your presets. I think it was Jared Platt on FB that was showing how to. Don't use LR so I'd check other places to see if the problems been fixed.

6. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

I have a question relating to the above answer. I use Lightroom Classic CC and I have a new Fuji X-T2. I am good with Lightroom but still learning my way around with Fuji. I love the film simulations but just finding this reply on this forum was a welcoming surprise. I thought I was going to have to find a whole new post processing editor now I have Fuji. I went out as you said to the top of the develop module and found the presets. These aren't the Fuji presets are they? Help me get started.

Is there an easier way, a different post editor, to do edits that allow you to use the simulations?

Or, is Lightroom the best choice?

Do I have to be more selective of the simulation I select BEFORE I shoot or can I can the simulation option in post in an editor?

Lastly, I shoot in RAW. I have also tried to set camera to shoot RAW and FINE but don't see how I can use the simulations. I am sure just getting over this road block to learning Fuji will happen soon.

Many thanks for your help!

LuAnn

Charzes44 likes this.
  7. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Whilst in the profiles section click browse and all should be clear! They are absolutely there!

I believe that film simulations are not available in RAW but only in JPEG.

8. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

Can you explain, Mike where this "profiles section" is you are talking about?

Thanks for the reply!
    LuAnn

9. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

I just found the profiles!! Thanks Mike I will check this out.

Do you use Lightroom for photo editing Fuji files? Or, do you use another editor. I heard about Fuji X Raw Studio and Irident but don't know how good they are.

Kind regards,
    LuAnn

10. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

LuAnnT,

There are a couple of posts in this forum about the „best“ raw converter for Fuji files. You can find an advocat for each single program. In my eyes many seem to like Capture1 for the best results with fine details. I use LR since version 2 and I’ll stick with it since it has very good DAM functionalities and I know my way around in the development module. On top I like the convenience of making a round trip to PS.
    LR struggles in some cases with the X-Trans sensor when there’s lots of foliage present in the image. Search for “worm” effect. “Waxy” skin is another topic people raise once in a while. I’m absolutely OK with the results that LR produces because I’m not so much a pixel peeper. Some images I run through Iridient X Transformer before working on them in LR but I’m still not 100% convinced that it produces better results than LR only. Especially high ISO images are not handled so good in IXT. Maybe it’s just me, too lazy to fiddle out all the different settings...If you’re into 100/200% views, test by yourself.
    There is no thing like the perfect software. Every tool has it’s pros and cons. I guess all offer free trial versions so you can check them out.
    Personally I like that Adobe has pushed the profiles to the top of the panel. Though I find the implementation not perfect. Especially having all the Adobe profiles on top and no easy way to get rid of them. One tip: If you find yourself using a profile quite often (for me it’s ProNegH for portraits), create a preset with that profile and apply the profile during import. A more advanced option is the import of 3D LUTs (through CameraRaw). Not easy and I’m still trying.

Good luck
    Oli

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    Mike Gorman likes this.
  11. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

Lu Ann, I use Lightroom and find that it does all I want. There is a lot of chatter about how bad Lr is, but I don’t see that at all. The only other editor I’ve used is Photo Ninja and I’m not impressed!

Brian1940 likes this.
  12. Greybeard Photography

Greybeard Photography Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I may be stating the obvious here but sometimes this does cause confusion.

When you take a photo you choose between creating JPEG file and/or a RAF format files. Both will have film simulations associated with them - you have no choice.

In the case of the JPEG file the film simulation is "baked in" to the file and can't be changed later.

The RAF file contains RAW data (which is film simulation neutral) but also previews and thumbnails (with the film simulation baked in) and EXIF Metadata which includes a record of the film simulation.

In order to make use of the RAF file at full resolution the raw data must be post processed (perhaps with LR or one of many other tools) and some raw processors have implemented a version of Fuji film simulations.

Unless you use X raw studio you won't end up with 100% exact Fuji film simulations but most agree (perhaps with the exception of Acros) that LightRoom is close enough.

13. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you,Oli for your reply it was the exact information I was looking for. Cheers! LuAnn

14. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the feedback Mike. Very helpful and what I was looking for. Cheers! LuAnn

Mike Gorman likes this.
  15. MassillonFun

MassillonFun Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi LuAnnT,

There are some here that get all psycho against Lightroom, however there are many of us (mostly quiet because to say so usually starts a mob scene) that still think that Lightroom is the best choice, especially financially, among all the other main choices.
    Lightroom has film profiles available that try to match the Fuji camera profiles. Some do pretty much, and some don't pretty much.
    In the Lightroom Import choices, there is a choice to import Raw and Jpeg files as separate files.
    If you make that Import setting, and then shoot with your camera set to Raw +Fine, in Lightroom you will see both the Raw file (that you can apply the Lightoom profiles to) and also the Jpeg files that have the actual Fuji camera profiles applied, next to each other.
    Please note that in the EVF, you will be seeing the scene with the Fuji camera profiles applied. This is both good and bad. It is good because you get a preview of what you will be able to do with the Raw file, and bad because you will have no idea of what the Raw file will look like until after you download it.

16. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I think that should be chatter about how bad LR WAS not how bad it is. The last couple of updates to LR have largely fixed most of the initial issues that it had with Fuji RAW files which generally centred around the dreaded watercolour effect where LR turned photos with small details (grass or tree leaves in particular) into mush. Many people persist in simply repeating old stories that no longer apply.

Jonimages and Mike Gorman like this.
  17. (c)ow

(c)ow Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Just to mention: the preview can be turned off in camera.
    I wouldn’t call it “bad”. You can do almost anything with a RAW file. And isn’t it the goal when working with RAWs: having a “raw” image without any pre-defined look? (To be fair: out of camera RAWs aren’t really “raw” because the camera software already altered them plus the RAW converter tweaks the image when rendering in a certain way, depending on the applied profile).
    Working with RAW means starting from nearly scratch and have the full range of possibilities, e.g. dynamic range whereas with JPG + camera film sim. you define the look and restrict the headroom. It’s personal preference if you use the beautiful OOC JPGs or like to work in the RAW file. So in my eyes no good or bad...

18. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

Absolutely agree Richard!

19. LuAnnT

LuAnnT New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks everyone for your comments. As a new user of the Fuji X-T2 I just needed to hear what your opinions were on editing. I attend a quarterly Lightroom User Group meeting at our local college on a quarterly basis. Adobe staff is there listening and giving feedback to the photographers in the group about updates and future plans that they can talk about. It’s a massive undertaking to update Lightroom as it is an internationally used and loved app. I have used Lightroom since 2013 and now use and like the cc version.

With the film simulations on my camera I had noticed when I started to edit as usual in LR that the color was very dynamic and something I had never seen with my Nikon photos. So I just wanted to get started on the right foot. The more you do photography the more critical I find myself getting with the details like color. So I must be getting better at this.

Thanks for your input your comments pro/con are all very beneficial and I appreciate the feedback.

Happy shooting!

LuAnn

20. Mike Gorman

-Return to Top-

LuAnn, I think you are very lucky to have such a user group, I wish I had the facility to attend something similar!