This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Manual Flash units with output control. Any?

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by pharyngealized, Feb 16, 2017.

1. pharyngealized

pharyngealized Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi guys. I've been using an old quantaray flash with a wireless remote.
    It has Full and 1/16 intensity switch.
    I wonder if there are any other flashgun units manufactured that have a physical dial or some other switch to have a wide range of control, say, from 1 to 1/64.
    Thank you.

2. MariusM

MariusM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nissin i40

pixelstate likes this.
  3. pixelstate

pixelstate Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Nissin Range are a good value option and pretty full featured. I have been using Cactus Wireless Trigger (V6II) and Cactus RF60x flashguns... these work very well and have good manual exposure range and HSS

4. SnapDawg

SnapDawg Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Some of the old Metz flashes like the BCT-40 MZ series give you manual settings down to 1/256 but I wouldn't use them on a modern camera due to their high trigger voltages (300+V). However, I found them safe to use on my Yongnou CF-603 C-II remote triggers.

5. George Komiotis

George Komiotis AKA Photogeo180

-Return to Top-

I use Yongnuo YN-560 iii flashes and a YN-560 TX (Canon version) flash controller.

On the X-t1, this combo allows full manual remote control of the flash units, no TTL though. I believe the same applies when you have just a YN-560 iii mounted on the hot shoe, if you need only one on-camera flash.

+ Output level from 1/1 to 1/128 (with 0.3 and 0.7 increments)
    + very easy to set and change multiple units from the controller that is mounted on the hot shoe of the camera (i.e. you don't need to access individual flash units)
    + (very) cheap
    + excellent value for money

- color balance shifts slightly at different output settings (you need to re-set your manual WB setting if color accuracy is crucial)
    - some issues with warranty and support in the US (many importers, not very clear where you need to ship for warranty service)

6. lawsofphysics

lawsofphysics Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As mentioned above. The Yongnuo YN-560 flashes have buttons that let you manually cycle the flash duration from 1/128 to 1/1 .

But they are not flash guns. They have a ISO 100 GN of 58. They do not support TTI.

Yongnuos are inexpensive ($77) but fairly robust. I banged them around on light stands, dropped them, etc. I had to replace one unit due to this sort of mis-hadling. At that price they are almost consumables. Otherwise they are extremely reliable as long as their batteries have a decent charge.

7. pharyngealized

pharyngealized Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you, chaps. I need to specify, I am looking for an old inexpensive flash that has a dial or a switch to regulate intensity of the output.
    I have small transceiver units, no TTL... just manual. I find that even 1/16 on my Quantaray is often too bright for certain situations.
    Did anyone manufacture flashes in the past that had something similar to a dial in nissin flashes?

8. leond

leond Member

-Return to Top-

While it's really intended to be used off camera, the Lumopro LP180R goes from full to 1/128 power in 1/3 stops.