This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Member location

Discussion in 'Forum Cafe - Everything Off Topic' started by beegeeuk, Dec 7, 2017.

1. beegeeuk

beegeeuk Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I understand and respect the desire for some members not to disclose their location in their bio but I'm always interested to know where a picture was taken, especially the landscapes.

jknights likes this.
  2. spudl

spudl Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Totally agree, also nice to have a quick line about equipment and settings used.

3. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, and I want to know why the men-in-black always want to know where I am.

My location in my bio is not directly correlated to the landscapes I post.

Shadowside likes this.
  4. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't really understand why some people are reluctant to say where they are. It's not as if you have to give the full address. Something like "London" or "UK" will suffice. Although it is nice to know where an image was take that is, as @Narsuitus just said, not necessarily the same as where somebody lives. But I'm surprised how often people ask for help buying and don't say where they live!

jknights and Irene McC like this.
  5. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

Privacy is a funny thing, not only do we vary in how we value/protect it, but we vary in how we define it as well.

I respect the right to not disclose one's location and enjoy the little mystery it brings lol

Also, as noted earlier, I travel extensively so my 'location' is not a reliable indicator on any of my images :)

6. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Totally agree - and I too would want to respect another privacy. But it limits how much somebody can be helped if they ask a location dependent question but can't/won't say where they are!

7. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I understand the desire to protect one's privacy, but the region information often isn't the core problem: If you somewhere disclose your full name (e.g. via your email address), then an address search will often yield much more detailed information.

The region info by itself would need to be combined with other personal data to reveal a person's identity.

OTOH, specifying the region where you live often helps understanding potential conflicts like misunderstood humor or cultural conventions which can lead to unnecessary conflict. So, by specifying your location, you make it easier for the mod/admin team to do their job and keep this community a peaceful one.

jknights, rkeifer and Topsy like this.
  8. Irene McC

Irene McC Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't mind people not disclosing where they LIVE, but if they post travel photos, it certainly helps to know where the pic was taken (same with landscapes... but then maybe that's too close to their home?)

beegeeuk likes this.
  9. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Sure, it probably isn't a good idea to post images that provide hints about the location of your home - just as it's somewhat irresponsible to post holiday photographs if you gave clues about your home location before. That could be considered an invitation for burglars (provided burglars are Internet-savvy ;) ).

There's no golden solution to this problem. I prefer to leave the info of where I live rather vague. This gives me the opportunity to be a little more liberal in posting photos of other locations.

10. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I expect certain assumptions are made based on nationality (let's not call them stereotypes). And not just nationality, but your fellow citizens are going to judge you by which part of the country you live in. I would prefer to keep a bit of ambiguity in my identity in hopes that my words will be interpreted with fewer preconceptions about who I am. And sometimes I would prefer that my photos be judged more by what there is to see, than by the words I've used to describe the photo. Some photos demand a caption. Some photos are enhanced by the background story. But I would like to think that some photos can stand alone as something to look at without needing to be explained. Wasn't there an artist who would paint a picture of a shoe, and then paint the word "shoe" on it?

Based on the assumption that no one can look at an image and read words about it at the same time, I tried posting several images without captions, but I usually got complaints and requests for more information. Which I was glad to provide to anyone interested enough to ask after they had seen the photo. I wish there was a good way to make a caption available, but more in the background. Like in an art museum where you see the big painting first, and then, if you are interested, you can go read what's on the little card.

More recently, to satisfy the curiosity of forum members, I've decided it's just easier to go ahead post a caption with most of my photos.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  11. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have mine on East Sussex UK, if I go over to say Shoreham then I`d say taken in Shoreham. East Sussex is a fair sized place.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    beegeeuk likes this.
  12. Hugh Jammer

Hugh Jammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd say Hove.

DaveX likes this.
  13. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A nice big place is Hove :)

14. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

I'm not going into detail as I wouldn't do that. But how about postcode, partner, former partner, age range of you and partners. Previous town and postcode.
    I'll leave it there and certainly won't post. But it's all there on the internet after a couple of minutes.

15. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have always said, the internet can be good, but it can also be very bad.

CWRailman likes this.
  16. Hugh Jammer

-Return to Top-

Sorry Dave, I'm coming across as a bit creepy, and I'm not! I was just seeing if my cautiousness at revealing any aspect of where I live was justified. And I think it is.

DaveX likes this.
  17. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Hate to say it but it is possible to locate someone with reasonable accuracy using a lookup. If you are wanting to remain incognito then you need to stay off the internet and switch off your mobile phone.
    Secrecy is not possible in this modern day. The military satellites can easily read the car number plate that you are travelling in or the newspaper headlines.

I have long ago asked people to put in a state/county and country location in their profile as it helps us help you if you need service or good deals information.
    It is your prerogative to comply or not.

Micky and DaveX like this.
  18. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That`s ok, just goes to show what the internet can do.

I am fine with having the county in my profile if it helps the staff.