This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Memories are made of these

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by jamie allan, Feb 11, 2018.

1. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If anything is a reminder of the power of the captured image I think this is it. My dad has just turned 90. He's in the early stages of dementia and as part of the programme to keep his mind active my sister has produced some 137GB of photographs to go through. She has scanned at least 5000 images of the extended family. For the last 30 years she has has worked on the genealogy of my family. Here's a couple of me from 50 years ago.
    Aged about 12
    Jamie 1.jpg

A confident 14 year old
    Jamie 2.jpg

Memories are made of these.
    Indeed.

2. David Winskill

David Winskill Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A great project Jamie and hats off to your sister for all the hard work.

My mother also had dementia and I'm sure that having thus wonderful resource will be of much comfort and benefit.

Best wishes

David

jamie allan likes this.
  3. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's a huge amount of work, but worth it for present and future generations.

Have you considered a self-published book? I used Blurb, but there are other services which allow you to layout the photos, write captions, etc. Then have a book printed - as few or as many as you can afford. They are somewhat expensive, but a book can have the advantage of attaching informative captions to the images, and also they reduce the risk of loss by spreading duplicate images to multiple locations. If you can endure tedious hours spent in Photoshop, you may be able to do some restoration, as well. <Please login or register to view links> shows a preview of a book I made for my family if you want to see what I'm talking about. My sister did the geneology and I scanned the family photos and put the book together.

jamie allan, watertight and trainer like this.
  4. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

One of the issues she's had is that, like many people who took family photographs, the negatives were mostly thrown out. Added to that my family cameras for a while were Polaroid instant cameras - in fact the second image above is from one of these cameras which I cropped. So it's been mostly paper scans.

5. spudl

spudl Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I feel hours of Photoshop coming on! I actually love restoring old family pictures, hard work but satisfying.

6. Third Son

Third Son Premium Member

-Return to Top-

These are terrific! My Grandfather was from Dundee Scotland but I know very little about him. He emigrated to Belfast NI and met my grandmother. They came to the US in the 1920's I believe....I wish I knew more....

7. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Yes, that's just the way it is. Out of all of the family photos I was able to find, the only negatives/slides I was able to scan were the ones I took myself. While scans from paper prints lack the detail and flexibility we photographers crave, if that's all that remains, we have no choice but to do the best we can with what we've got. The end result will be far from museum quality, but the point is to try to capture some fragment of our ancestor's character, their reality, their world, and make it available to the next generation.

roscoe-dapper-raw.jpg roscoe-dapper.jpg
    My mother's father.

8. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

Paul,
    If you are interested in your family's UK history there's a good amount of government archive you can access online. My sister has researched our extended family back almost 200 years. Her research has thrown up some bizarre facts.

9. jrw85705

jrw85705 Member

-Return to Top-

Having scanned in over 2500 photos and a couple thousand negatives over the last couple of years I think this was one of the most rewarding I have done with my photography. For years my wife asked me why are you saving all your negatives from the 60’s and 70’s (when I was doing my own darkroom work). I just said I wanted to keep them.

Finding photos of family I have only heard of and some I barely remember was great. For our last “Cousins” family reunion I made a 32-page photo book for each and spares for their kids and you would have thought I’d given them gold. And in each book was a DVD with a DVD with every photo, negative and slide I'd scanned so they had everything. One cousin called me up as said “I’ve never seen pictures of my Dad when he served in the Pacific during WWII. I can’t wait to show these to my two sons.”

It’s a lot of work but so well worth it. Here is one of my maternal grandparents from 1920. It can't be judged on it's quality but by it content. He died before I was born and she's showing a side I never saw.

Netta and Butch.jpg

10. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is the stuff that cameras were made for. That sounds cold, but I am pretty emotional on this concept.
    I see there's another newer thread started - a spinoff of this one.
    Anway, thank you Jamie for putting this on the table.

11. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Wonders are made of these as well. This is a photo of my father with my older brother. My father was killed in an automobile accident 3 years after this photo was made and 4 months before I was born. So it makes me wonder what he was like and how a split second in time can change everything. All this on one small piece of paper snapped 72 years ago.
    [​IMG]

12. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

[​IMG]

My father and mother, early 1952 (I was born in April). They would have been about 20-21. Mom passed on in 2013; dad is 87.

jrw85705 and leoda1945 like this.
  13. Finder

Finder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am the guy in the green sweater and matching hat.

[​IMG]

leoda1945 likes this.
  14. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

My mum on the left and my dad's sister(my aunt) taken in probably 1947-8. This is the oldest photograph I have of her.

Auld Hughie 1_0068.jpg

My dad - probably from the mid/late 1960's. Apart from him wearing a silly hat the thing of note is the blue Morris 1000 van in the background. That's not his but one of the same make. I'm one of 7 kids and each summer my dad would clear out his tools, put in a single bed mattress in and pack us 7 kids as well as luggage into the back and we'd head off a couple of hundred miles on holiday.
    Auld Hughie 1_00491.jpg

jrw85705 and leoda1945 like this.
  15. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Those were the days. Us kids riding unsecured on the flat tray of a Land Rover on the freeway. Three adults and three kids travelling several hours each way in an Aunts Hillman Imp. Going to Scout camps with about 6 or 7 boys in the Scoutmasters car. Going to and from Rugby games with the whole team on the tray of the coaches 5 ton truck. We survived.

16. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I was the first kid, so mom fussed over me (ask my siblings - the referred to me as "The Prince" :p ).
    She made this "baby book" that survived the decades, and I inherited when the day came.
    So did the 1945 vintage rocking horse that was recorded in that book! (Repainted, and rockers gone.)
    [​IMG]
    Jees, my wife just dredged this up ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    jamie allan and jrw85705 like this.
  17. jrw85705

jrw85705 Member

-Return to Top-

Your remark isn’t cold at all. If you are getting paid for a photo shoot, of any kind, then all your expertise goes into your work but at a gathering of family and friends I will take the best shoot I can but I take it. If it’s slightly out of focus or not quite centered or there is a tree growing out of Uncle Joe’s head it doesn’t matter as long as I have recorded the memory.

And after I have looked at all of my family’s old photos I am so grateful they didn’t throw out the “not so great” shots. We are lucky to have programs that let us fix some of them. And thanks to everyone who has shared. The old photos are my touchstone to many of the people in my life who are gone now and I can share them with the new members of the family.

This is one I discovered after my Dad has pass away, taken around 1929 of his baseball team. I call it “Eight Players, Three Bats, Two Gloves, One Ball and a Dog.” My Dad is the second from the left in the back row.
    Baseball-1.jpg

trainer, leoda1945 and jamie allan like this.
  18. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yeh, the lesson is . . . show people your best photos, but don't throw away your snaphots ;)

jrw85705 and mikEm13 like this.