This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

MITAKON SPEEDMASTER 35MM F/0.95 MK II FOR PHOTO AND VIDEO, (FUJIFILM X-T2)

Discussion in 'Lens and Accessory Reviews' started by KKMFOTO, Feb 12, 2018.

1. KKMFOTO

KKMFOTO Active Member

-Return to Top-

Most photographers have one time or another lusted for exotic lenses like the Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95. But for most people, it stops there. With a price tag of 10.000$, it’s out of most people’s reach.

But you can get the Mitakon 35mm f/0.95 MK II for a fraction of the price, if you own a Fuji X, Sony E or EOS M mount camera. Shenyang Zhongyi Optical and Electronic Company (ZY Optics) makes this wonderful lens, with the seldom feature of an f0.95 aperture. The design and look is not so different from the Noctilux either.

The first version of the Mitakon 35mm f/0.95 did not get so high praise in reviews and feedbacks online. But with the MKII version, they have both reduced the size and weight (680g to 460g), and gotten the sharpness wide open up a notch or two. Zhongyi claims on they website that they have improved the image resolution by 30% compared to the previous version, so don’t go looking for the older MK I version if you are on the look for purchasing this lens.

There is also no denying that this is a wonderfully designed lens. I really like the matte black Finish and vintage and robust design. It really matches great with the look of my Fujifilm X-T2.
    dsf2864-small-1.jpg
    Here are is an overview of the lens specifications, and video samples in (From 1:15) Remember sound on select high resolution:)

You can read more on this lens in my blog if you like: Please login or register to view links

My YouTube: Please login or register to view links

2. wackou

wackou Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's an excellent review! Btw, what stabilizer did you use in video?

KKMFOTO likes this.
  3. KKMFOTO

KKMFOTO Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks
    I used an Please login or register to view links for both the lens shots and the video samples.
    (Affiliate link)

Cheers

wackou likes this.
  4. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Excellent review. Thanks.

KKMFOTO likes this.
  5. KKMFOTO

KKMFOTO Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you ;)

6. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

I saw your video on YouTube last week. Good review of what looks like a very nice lens.

Tempted for filming purposes when I have some cash I can throw at it as that shallow DOF looks ossum!

KKMFOTO likes this.
  7. specLegacy

specLegacy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the silver version of this lens. Looks great on a black X-Pro2, IMO, though I've seen others refer to this as being a SLOB (silver lens on black body).

I wrapped an O-ring on mine just in front of the aperture ring. This adds a bit of friction on the ring, so it doesn't move as easily. A simple rubber band would do the trick as well. I like the O-ring because it's a bit thicker than the aperture ring, which makes in even less likely that the aperture ring will get nudged accidentally, and the lens rests on the O-ring when I put the camera down on a table, which means the bottom of the lens is less likely to get scuffed.

KKMFOTO and rayvonn like this.
  8. KKMFOTO

KKMFOTO Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you :) I like the lens a lot!

9. KKMFOTO

KKMFOTO Active Member

-Return to Top-

The silver version also looks great, and I think it has an even more retro look on a black camera!
    The o-ring trick I will definitely try out! Thanks for the great tip!

Cheers!

10. Third Son

Third Son Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Excellent video Kjetil!

KKMFOTO likes this.