This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

MOD : securing aperture ring – Fujinon XF 35mm F1.4 R lens

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by yukosteel, Jun 14, 2018.

?
  1. Ring is too loose

42.9%
  2. Rotating effort is about what I need

57.1%
  3. Ring is rotating too stiff (what?!!)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've listed this mod on forum in 2013 but that data is lost. Today I've performed it for another XF 35mm F1.4 R sample, and added more detailed steps and pictures.

Please login or register to view links

sXIZ76804B.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  2. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

sorry i couldn't vote since i don't have this lens but wanted to make a statement in case the manufacturer monitors this forum

from my perspective ANY problem with a product should be referred to the manufacturer if one expects it to be corrected or prevented from happening, and i suspect a lot of issues are being discussed here rather than discussed directly with the factory. i have yet to read a post that started with "the Fuji rep reported that .....xxxxx etc "

wow...... i've only been casually following all these 'rubber band' and 'toothpick' DIY mods .... is this yet another case of a possible manufacturing defect ?

Q's :
    1. are you implying this is a lens that needs to be taken apart and jury rigged by slicing an eraser to work properly ?
    2. how much does it cost, new and unmodified ?

by the way...nice shot of the tear down, but i would have turned it upright so the "made in Japan" logo would have been more prominent to anyone viewing //LOL//

3. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is not a manufacturing defect it is a design decision made after feedback from professional photographers. However, some users prefer a stiffer aperture ring and the OP has provided a useful service for those who would like to adjust the aperture ring rotation resistance.
    Personally, I don't have an issue with the aperture rings and find it useful to be able to adjust them with one finger. Others find they accidentally change the f stop so, this is a remedy for them and only them.

4. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Tx vague_logic
    i understand what you're saying. it sounded to me like a DIY fix for a loose fitting aperture ring.
    - i will watch to see how the survey progresses. in the meantime, do you have any links to any of the pros who prefer a stiffer ring ? would seem like a no-brainer that everyone (Pro or not) would want the aperture to stay set when they set it and not be easily moved

i wouldn't want one that rotates too easily and personally i don't care at ALL for a ring with no markings. i never understood why they would make a blank ring since putting on numbers seems like a very small increase in production cost. (they don't need to be hi-precision-laser-cut with hand painted numbers, etc)

- the extra cost to make one with well damped detents is another issue, so i could understand that for the higher end lenses. the ergonomics and tactile feel of zoom rings, aperture and focus rings is what usually tells me the quality level of the lens i'm holding

on the down side, the more familiar i get with the fuji line the more i see too many cameras in too many colours for too many price points, and that might eventually dilute the overall quality of their products. hope it's not true, because that is a major failing of many Japanese manufacturers competing for the Japanese consumer : trying to cater to a fickle buyer who cares more for form over function :-(

5. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Try this for a gallery of Fujifilm's "X" Please login or register to view links. These are the people who get prototype products to test and comment on before the design is frozen for production.

The only unmarked aperture ring are on variable aperture zoom lenses where it is not technically possible to mark a fixed position.

6. FujiMongol

FujiMongol Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I find it okay as it is, but if it was just a notch 'stiffer' then that would be okay for me too.
    Just wondering if several lenses of this type all over the globe have same stiffness? Is there only 1 place where they make them? I don't know.
    I certainly would like to see the proceedings. I'm a good tinkerer and it has my curiosity, and maybe I would give it a try just to see.
    Where do I click to see the proceedings, clicking the blue text brings me nowhere?

Okay I googled on it and found it:
    Please login or register to view links

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  7. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

While I prefer the feel/resistance of the F2 lenses the 1st gen 1.4 rendering is better imo.

OP - do you still shoot the 0.95 manual lens? I seem to recall you were all about that glass.

8. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for let me know, corrected the link.

I had chance to use 7 different samples of Fujinon XF 35mm F1.4 R. All samples had same aperture rotation stiffness, except the very old sample that just experienced more rough shooting conditions and required lubrication. It's is not a factory defect but made by design. How ever newer WR lens (like XF 23mm F2) design and ring sealing making it more stiff to rotate.
    I've modded XF 35mm F1.4 just to the same level of friction as XF 23mm F2 lens so they both work consistant now.

9. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Yes, I'm shooting with Mitakon 35mm F0.95 MK-II a lot : ) I like that it's a bit wider actually - closer to 32-33mm.
    BTW, all shots of linked article are made with that lens.

Shortly I plan to make a comparison article of XF 35mm F1.4, Mitakon 35mm, and also 7artisans 35mm F1.2 (which I also recently modded for click aperture).

It's more challenging to implement click stops for Mitakon lens, so I typically just add rubber band on top of aperture ring to make rotation stiffer.

liggy likes this.
  10. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm always amazed and the individual ingenuity exhibited on this and other sites. Thanks to the OP for sharing a possible solution for something that bugs me.

I just reviewed the aperture detent action on all my Fuji lenses and a few of my old MF Nikkors. I have to say that I prefer the action on those Nikkor lenses.

However, my takeaway from this exercise is that if the action of the aperture ring on a Fuji lens is the result of "feedback from professional photographers", then a different group of professional photographers were consulted on nearly every lens. I would like to request that Fuji please stay with the recommendations from the group that consulted on the XF 35mm f/2 lens.

I use my cameras often on the street and in travel. In those situations I work mostly in and out of a bag. I frequently hand my camera to another person to get a different viewpoint or even to include the photographer in a snapshot. I generally don't have to worry about the aperture ring on either the 35mm f/2 or the 23mm f/2 being bumped off setting in those cases. The 14mm, 18-55mm, 35mm f/1.4, are especially problematic to unwanted aperture changes. The 23mm f/1.4 and 56mm f/1.2 are also aperture rings that I have to watch, but some of that I put on those heavier lenses offering up opportunities to mash the controls.

IMO Fuji has been particularly remise in establishing early the right detent feel on the aperture rings. The 14mm was one of the first lenses where I started reading the varying opinions on good/bad detent. However that was about the time I joined the Fuji X family so possibly that's when I first started paying attention. I started much before that with the Fuji X100 and I alway thought that the original X100 was the camera that got the detent strength correct. Since that was the beginning, from my perspective they failed to carry that experience through to the XF line.

At the time I bought my 14mm, the controversy had quieted down somewhat and with some reports of improvement. I still think the aperture detent touch on the 14 is too light, especially on a UWA lens where one is likely to zone focus and has the additional action of the convenient manual focus clutch ring.

I know when you use words like "touch" in a description you are entering into very subjective territory and argument is an expected outcome. When you do side-by-side with a preferred outcome, you start refining a defacto standard and now it pays to measure and repeat. Fuji may have measured, but they haven't repeated. If the variance I've experienced is the result of them trying to get it right, and the 23mm f/2 lens is the most recent lens I've purchased then I hope that action represents the end-point of that design journey and we just write off the 35mm f/1.4 as needless startup design decisions when they had the X100 precedence to follow.

yukosteel likes this.
  11. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

I’m looking forward to that comparison. I really enjoyed what you have done in the past with the Mitakon.

yukosteel likes this.
  12. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Same happened to me. Initially I was fine with Fujinon XF 35mm F1.4 aperture ring, while also using adapted Nikkor lens left after switching to Fuji and feel the difference.
    But purchased Fujinon XF 14mm F2.8 changed my mind - aperture ring was even more loose there. Also my sample purchased directly from Japan had a little wobbling of aperture ring.
    That time I've modded XF 14mm, and it become very different lens for me, so I decided to tune XF 35mm F1.4 as well : )

It's great that Fuji are making experiments and satisfy different groups. They are actually listening to customers and are actually doing a lot.
    The aperture rings of early XF lens are more loose than WR versions, but it's great that many shooters like that, in many cases rotating ring with one finger is more convenient.
    But personally I like the consistent behavior and similar aperture ring stiffness among all lens in use.