This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

My Fuji Cameras Are Possessed

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by ronsxpro, Nov 13, 2017.

1. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My XP 1 suddenly displays a red composition square when using the 50-230 lens once I zoom out from 50mm and if I take an image the subject is not where I had it in the square. It only does it with that lens as my 100-400 works normal on it and I've made no changes to the camera. The 50-230 works fine on my XT10 but the XT10 will go into silent shutter mode occasionally when using the 100-400 on it. No adjustments were made to either camera they just suddenly started these quirks. Both cameras are set on single AF. Should I call a priest, wave a chicken over them or is there something I'm missing?

2. fujixacros

fujixacros Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In order to exorcise your X-Pro1, or at least try to do it, and maybe for some lenses,
    could you please , if the phenomenon can be recorded on somes pictures or movies, bring first some visual elements ?

And in a second time, but only if it is possible for you, specify us some technical details such as the version of the firmware of the body and lenses, the settings of the camera body, if the focus is automatic or manual , if the 50-230mm is version II... etc

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  3. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Can't record the XT10 going silent occasionally when the 100-400 is on it and imagine the green composition square green at 50mm turning red beyond 50mm. Also imagine centering a subject in the square and in the taken image it appears in the lower left as an example.
    All firmware is up to date according to Fuji.
    The 50-230, on the XP1 does the same thing whether M or AF and I also noticed the framing square, beside turning red, also stops at the 75mm mark and won't frame for any focal length beyond that.
    Does the version II have a II on it? If it does then mines a first version.
    Both of these anomalies just started as the 50-230 worked fine on the XP1 until last week when it started and I've made no adjustments to the settings of the camera.

4. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On your X-Pro1 are you in OVF? You need to be in EVF for long lenses on the X-Pro1, I have just tried a 50-230 on one of my X-Pro1s no problems in EVF. What I found with my 90mm on the X-Pro1 was the camera automatically selected EVF when I fitted it but the 50-230 doesn't.

5. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Does the same in both.

6. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This square (rectangle?) defines the focus area. If it turns red, there is no focus confirmation. Are you saying the camera can only focus at 50 mm but as you zoom in it can no longer focus?

This is normal if the subject is too close to the lens. Minimum focus distance increases as you zoom in.

7. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You are using a confusing term "composition square" which sounds like it ought to mean the OVF bright-lines that indicate the borders of the framed image in the optical viewfinder, however these are white, sometimes red, never green, in my experience. The shape that is either red or green usually is a focus point indicator, green when in focus, red when not in focus.

The camera that goes into silent shutter mode is behaving normally if you have the shutter set to choose between the mechanical shutter and the electronic shutter on it's own. The camera will choose the shutter type that suits exposure needs unless you use the menus to tell it to stick with one shutter or the other.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

There are many reasons why your camera may be failing to focus with a particular lens mounted. For instance, if you have your 50-230 set for manual adjustment of the aperture and it happens to be stopped way down, so that the image is being grossly underexposed with the camera set to adjust exposure manually, then this might defeat the autofocus, especially on the old X-Pro1, which is dependent on CDAF. It is possible to have the camera set so that the EVF looks bright even while the image is being underexposed. The OVF can allow the same problem. With the camera set to manual exposure, underexposing the image severely can prevent CDAF from working properly by starving the sensor of the light it needs to focus by. Zooming in with a variable focus lens will make the aperture get smaller, reducing the light available to the sensor. Is your shutter speed set high? Is exposure compensation way over on the minus side?

Make sure that you are exposing the image properly and that there is enough light for the camera to focus by.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  9. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

This post makes it sound like you are talking about the Optical Viewfinder bright lines, and not about a focus square issue. I don't have the 50-230, so I don't know how it interacts with the X-Pro1 OVF. With my 55-200 mounted on my X-Pro1 the bright lines turn red, just as you describe, when I zoom in to about 75mm. It may be that the 100-400 has a more advanced interaction with the OVF. It is a newer lens.

It is not a good idea to use the optical viewfinder at long focal lengths. Your camera is trying to tell you to use the Electronic Viewfinder instead.

10. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No the image is in focus just not where I composed it.

11. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks that solved the possession of the XT10 as the shutter was set on both and is now set to mechanical.
    When I say composition square it is the larger outer square that changes size as the lens is zoomed in and out of its focal length range and used to compose the image in the chosen focal length. The inner focus confirmation square is not affected as the images are in focus just not where I composed them in the focal length square.
    Thanks for the help on the shutter!

12. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The problem is with both view finders. I'm starting to think it is a contact issue as it was working fine for over a year and just started doing this a couple of weeks ago. I've cleaned the contacts but that apparently was not the problem.

13. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm familiar with the issue you describe and the images are all properly exposed so that is not it. I appreciate all the help you are offering but this is baffling as it just started after working perfectly for over a year. I may try resetting the camera to factory specs and see if that works.

14. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

There is no "composition square" when you are using the EVF, so this doesn't make any sense. There are two different magnifications of the OVF, each of which has a bright-line display for the mounted lens focal length. It is normal for this bright line rectangle to turn red when you have a lens with too-long a focal length mounted. There is however no such rectangle in the EVF; the EVF simply shows you what the sensor sees, which is always exactly what the lens presents to the sensor.

I still do not understand what problem you are having with the electronic viewfinder when the zoom is mounted. Can you describe it in more detail?

15. FMW

FMW Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You may need to update your firmware. That would be my suggestion. I had to do that with my E1 to handle the XC lens properly.

16. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not certain which camera you are referring to as my XP1 has a small center square, which is the focus confirmation square that turns green when in focus and red when not in focus, and a larger square, that changes size as the lens is zoomed in and out, to indicate the area of coverage for the focal length selected in both the ovf and evf . That larger outer square is what I'm referring to as the composition square as it indicates the amount of degrees of coverage at the focal length selected. To compose outside of it would not record an image. The larger square is the one that turns red at the 75mm focal length and will not change after that to indicate the correct focal length beyond 75mm. Not certain what else I can tell you except either my XP1 has a different evf/ovf display than others or we are talking about two different cameras.

17. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

As stated before all firmware is up to date according to fuji.

18. ronsxpro

ronsxpro Premium Member

-Return to Top-

At this point I want to thank everyone for taking the time to suggest potential fixes for the issue I'm having with my XP1 and 50-230 lens and a special thanks to beakhammer for the shutter fix on the XT10. Since I can't describe, any further, the issue with the XP1 and 50-230 and it was a sudden occurrence I'm going to write it off to the lens and camera losing contact through either a firmware or mechanical issue ( I suspect a mechanical through one of the lens contacts). I don't see any further reason to waste anyone else time at this point. Thanks again!

19. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

The reason I am confused is because the X-Pro1 has an electronic viewfinder, as well as the optical viewfinder. It sounded like you were saying that the electronic viewfinder was not working right with your 55-230, in addition to the problems you were having with the optical viewfinder. If that is the case then you are probably right about this being a firmware or contact issue.

The frame lines in the optical viewfinder are meant to turn red as you zoom in; that is normal behavior. However, there should be no problem using the 55-230 with the electronic viewfinder on your X-Pro1. Use the switch on the front of the camera, beside the lens, to switch between the optical viewfinder and the electronic viewfinder.

20. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No - it really doesn't. The ELECTRONIC viewfinder does not (and indeed cannot) have a larger square that changes size as you zoom. The EVF simply displays exactly what is hitting the sensor - it could never show more than that. As you zoom the image simply gets more magnified (what you see is what you get). It's the OPTICAL viewfinder that shows the framing guideline and it has always (as long as I recall anyway) shown up as red when you "over zoom" against the realistic value of the OVF. The OVF only has two different magnifications. So beyond a certain point the framing guideline gets too small to be usable. At that point I would always use the EVF and the problem goes away.

Having just tried with my XP1 and 50-230 I can confirm that the framing box turns red at around 70mm. So there's nothing unusual about yours I don't think. Likewise the subject moving aspect is normal - it's a property of parallax correction. It's more noticeable when the subject is close to the camera but again perfectly normal. Net I think the good news is that I don't think there's nothing wrong with your camera.