This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

New from SE Michigan.

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by lucky7, Jun 12, 2018.

1. lucky7

lucky7 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Hey, all! Usually I skip these intros, but what the heck, I'm checking in from the Detroit area. Bought an X100F about 1.5 months ago, and I think I'm gonna get rid of my 6d and just shoot the X100. I'll keep the lenses to shoot my EOS film cameras, but I haven't touched my 6d in.....1.5 months, ironically. Haha.

Already have a soft shutter release for it, I'll have a Gordy strap and a vented hood by the end of the week. When I ditch the 6d, I'm planning on getting the Lee Seven5 starter kit, shutter release and an L bracket. Probably a 3 Legged Thing to top it all off as my old Manfrotto 488RC2 won't accept an 'L' bracket and is a bit excessive to say the least..

2. Mark2009

Mark2009 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the Fuji disease! I was bored 3 yrs ago and bought a used xe1, since then have sold and upgrade, x100 series stuff and xe, xt.......was a over 20yr canon shooter, sold it all...welcome to the club

lucky7 likes this.
  3. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome. It sounds like you’ve a good solid plan accessory-wise. I just recently re-purchased another X100F because I stupidly sold my previous one. Fortunately I kept all the accessories just in case (he he). It is surprising what can be done with a fixed focal length when you give it a go. Enjoy your new camera.

lucky7 likes this.
  4. lucky7

lucky7 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you. When I bought my 5d all I had was a 35mm f2 IS for nearly a year. I fell in love with the FL, and if I could only have one lens, that'd be the one. I really am excited to see what I can get out of this little camera.

Thanks! I've been shooting Canon since '07 - Rebel XTI > 5d > 6d. The little X100 is refreshing.

5. sccjim

sccjim Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the group! I was born and raised in Detroit. Lived in Livonia, Northville, Howell, Monroe and now retired in Florida. I was a hardcore Nikon shooter for 40+ years until I bought an X100T and rediscovered the joy of simply shooting. I now have the X100F and all the Nikon gear has been sold. It's such a feeling of freedom.

lucky7 likes this.
  6. dpm321

dpm321 Member

-Return to Top-

Another welcome from a "former" Canon shooter. I eased into Fuji with an X-E1 a few years back and graduated to the X-T2 about a year ago. After shooting Canon for over 40 years, my DSLRs are now gathering dust in the closet. I spent some time shooting the X-T2 and 5D Mk III side by side for comparison and, while I can see differences while pixel peeping, they don't mean much for my final use (prints smaller than 16 X 20). Since I shoot primarily landscape and travel, the weight difference is a huge plus. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

lucky7 likes this.
  7. AndyH44

AndyH44 Active Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the World of Fuji! Ex-Detroiter myself from the SW side. Had many relatives living around the area as well.
    You will love the great images that can be produced from Fuji cameras with little to no PP. 90% of my images are SOOC with either my X-E3 or X-T10. Watch out for G.A.S. as it tends to plague Fuji owners! ;)

lucky7 likes this.
  8. lucky7

lucky7 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, all!

9. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome, sure you will enjoy the forum, look forward to see some of your photos

lucky7 likes this.
  10. Blazer

Blazer Fuji Commander

-Return to Top-

Hello Lucky and welcome to the X-family!

lucky7 likes this.
  11. Brent Dacus

Brent Dacus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No worries.. no need to skip anything here. We are all in to help, have fun and love fuji.. Welcome...

lucky7 likes this.
  12. lucky7

lucky7 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks again!

While we're all here, I have a couple points. I wen't to play with this camera last night, and I learned a couple of things.
    -First, the built-in ND isn't as powerful as I imagined it would be. I know it's only 3 stops, but at f16, I thought I'd be able to slow things down a bit more.
    -Second, f16 is SOFT.
    -Third, at f16 I noticed a couple of spots on the sensor......and a few, what appear to be dead pixels. BUMMER.

[​IMG]

I completely ran out of time/light as I drove 2 hours to this location only to find I couldn't get where I wanted to go....Lol. Also, the clouds completely disappeared when I got there. I still wanted to shoot a little bit.

So I want the Lee Seven5 kit even more now, and I will probably shoot at f8-11 from here on out. While it was a long drive, and I didn't get as nice a shot as I had hoped, I learned a whole bunch. Previous landscape shooting experience was with my 5d (12mp) and 35mm f2 IS USM.

Usually I tend to shoot documentary/journalist style shots. Or it seems that's the style I've ended up with. Lol, something like that. (these are all shot recently with the X100F)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ianpiper

ianpiper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sounds like you have a sensible plan. I started with an X100 (a while ago now) and was so taken with the usability and quality of the camera that I used it non-stop (as you seem to have) for weeks.

Years on, my investment in Fuji is fairly well cemented. I was a long-term Olympus user (bought my first OM-10 in 1979) but Fuji stuff has a way of getting into your DNA, so I'm more or less completely based on Fuji now.

On a few specifics:

• I bought the JJC vented hood for my X100T. The JJC stuff is really excellent quality, and a fraction of the cost of the Fuji product.
    • The Lee SevenFive range is perfectly sized for mirrorless cameras like the X100s. I bought the X100 adapter, which is more or less a must for using these filters with the X100 range.
    • I use the 3 Legged Thing Airhed 360 on a Gitzo Mountaineer. This is a brilliant combination if you want high quality with low weight.

lucky7 likes this.
  14. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Regarding the Seven5 adapter, if you already have the Fuji or JJC lens adapter/hood, instead of getting the Lee X100 adapter that (i believe) screws directly onto the lens threads, get the Lee 49mm adapter ring. Then you can leave the Fuji/JJC adapter on and easily switch back to the hood or other threaded filters. For me it seems better to be unscrewing and screwing onto the adapter instead of the lens. It works for me anyway.

lucky7 likes this.
  15. lucky7

lucky7 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I just got the JJC hood about 2 hours ago. Looks good! Bought a pinch-style cap to go on it - so far, so good. I'll take a look at the Gitzo, but I doubt I want to spend that kind of money, haha.

Noted, thanks.