This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

New XC 15-45mm sample

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by pcovers, Feb 11, 2018.

1. pcovers

pcovers Member

-Return to Top-

I am very surprised by the quality of the images from this lens. Here are just a couple of examples at 15mm as close as I can focus. Even at f3.5 the out of focus colors are creamy and colorful. I've taken a few comparison shots using my 16mm and this lens at 15mm. Aside from the obvious big advantage of having f1.4 on the 16mm, the image quality is only slightly sharper on the 16 vs the this lens at 15mm when both are set at f3.5. It is a cheap plastic build like the other XC lenses, but certainly not a slouch. Nice that they designed in a very close focus capability.

DSCF8025.jpg DSCF8028.jpg

terrapin44, JonPB and Jim D like this.
  2. Globares

Globares Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for sharing. Maybe that's the lens which will help me wait for XF 16/2.8 :)

3. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Looked into the specifications of this lens...disappointed that it's compact only when collapsed; but still much bulkier that my LM 28/2.8+adapter...my 1C1L ideal.

4. pcovers

pcovers Member

-Return to Top-

That's a $2k lens. Tough to match that design (size, elements) with an XC lens.

5. Jim D

Jim D Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice images coming from a 200$ wide angle zoom .....oh , auto focus ...

6. jrscls

jrscls Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Please post more samples. I only have primes right now, but I might consider this lens for travel.

7. bacil

bacil Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Is the lens out already?

8. randomshotsfired

randomshotsfired Member

-Return to Top-

This lens is such a bargain, you can even look at this lens as a 15mm f/3.5 wide angle lens for under $300, that happens to zoom. And its only 137 grams light.

9. pcovers

pcovers Member

-Return to Top-

Thought $300 list price, I would bet these will sell for $250 or under from some resellers. A used one for probably $150. I think it will become quality bargain for those that don't turn their noses up at the very good XC glass. I have had the XC 16-50mm and it too was a very sharp lens. The issue is obviously the plastic body feels cheap. The lens outperforms the feel though.

If the only way for Fuji to get it at the smallest dimensions possible was to build in the power zoom, then I get that. But if it could have been as small without th PZ feature, I would have preferred manual zoom. While the PZ works fine, I feel a little disconnected from where I want to stop within the focal range. If it was essential for some design reason, ok, if it wasn't but they did it because they thought the user experience would be better.......not.

10. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd trade power/auto any day for a decently constructed metal lens. I don't mind a plastic skin but the innards had better be all metal and robust.

Used plastic lens had no place in my bag...won't buy one just because.

11. terrapin44

terrapin44 New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for sharing the photos. I really don't need this lens but looking at the photos, I think it would be a great inexpensive travel lens or for walking around town.

12. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use the XC 16-50 on my XE-2, its my travel combo and never worry about the lens breaking, in fact its proved very robust.
    Just think of how many everyday items are made of plastic ( a lot including cameras are actually polycarbonate) they don't just fall to bits on a whim

In fact don't recall of even hearing of one breaking, every intention of getting this new lens too
    Fuji were my choice of camera because of their size and weight, these lenses just enhance those features

Pedro1948 likes this.
  13. 321estrellas

321estrellas New Member

-Return to Top-

Did you get the lens with the X-A5? If so, I would be very interested to know how the camera performs, especially in the autofocus department.

I might be crazy but if the reviews are good with the 15-45, I just might replace my 18-55 with it...