This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

NFC E-Ink tags for dials and button labeling

Discussion in 'Suggestions for X-Camera Updates & Improvements' started by Francisco Veiga, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Francisco Veiga

Francisco Veiga Member

-Return to Top-

Since Fuji cameras have a highly customizable button and dial interface it doesn't make sense to label them with ink, but with small E-Ink displays powered by NFC one could update the interface labeling, I think it would be a nice touch that could add to usability.
    E-Ink displays only use power (and small amounts at that) when they change the image displayed, making them the perfect technology to implement customizable labels, small E-Ink displays can be fitted to the top of buttons and dials and no wired connection with the cameras motherboard would be needed thus not adding to much complexity to the manufacture of the camera.
    What do you think? Would it be worth it?

2. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

This sounds like an interesting idea - theoretically. In practice, I've never seen an e-ink/NFC tag that had a smaller diameter than 12mm. Fuji camera buttons have a diameter of ~6mm. ;(

3. Francisco Veiga

Francisco Veiga Member

-Return to Top-

I admit that I was sloppy on research for this thread, it just occurred to me that it could be (eventually) a good upgrade to usability.

4. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do you know where to get these? I would be interested to see how they work.

5. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

@ojporqpojrewpo Please login or register to view links The linked page essentially shows the available NFC antenna designs; the smallest round antenna has a diameter of 12mm.

As for the why and how of NFC and e-ink displays, I'll have to refer you to G**gle.