This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

NIK 2018 out - $ 69

Discussion in 'Post Processing Forum' started by Musicophile, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Musicophile

Musicophile Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links

Please login or register to view links

I'll give it a try. Right now it's available discounted at $49. I'm still using SilverFx quite a bit.

2. SithTracy

SithTracy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Curious how it will work out. I admit, I am interested, but lack confidence in the future of the product.

3. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The obvious question is why you lack confidence in the future of the product. The Nik software is so widely used that I would think that DXO would want to take advantage of that large base and try to attract many of them to their new software.

Musicophile likes this.
  4. GDRoth

GDRoth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If we already have it installed (from past years) should we buy the new version?

PS: I love it and will buy if needed...........

5. Musicophile

Musicophile Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I presume the old version won’t be updated any more. Until it stops working you can certainly continue to use the old version.

6. waxhouse

waxhouse Member

-Return to Top-

7. GDRoth

GDRoth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

They make it sound like they made some improvements...............They also talk about instructional videos coming...........I think I'll buy prior to July 1 to at least support DXO going forward.

8. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Got email with introductory discount offer of Euro 49.99, valid until 1st July.

9. ChiDN

ChiDN Fujiholic Cub Fan

-Return to Top-

Think I'll jump in but disappointed when they said they would continue free although that wouldn't make that much sense in light of their Chapter 11 reorg. It's my avocation so I guess I can roll the dice.

10. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have used Nik Collection products sporadically over the years and have the free version installed however, with my current workflow I hardly ever feel the need to use it. I post process in C1 Pro and if needed branch out to either Affinity Photo or Topaz Studio. Compared to the latter two products, the price DXO are asking for the new Nik Collection seems to be on the high side. So, I won't indulge at the offer price though, will pay attention to any detailed reviews before considering if it is worth the money.

11. pointreyes

pointreyes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I got it for the introductory price of $49.99.

For Windows 10 Pro at least, it still does not support 4k displays. :( It did see the latest versions of Adobe software for being a plug-in.

I'm better off using PhotoLab with U-point at this time. I did let DxO know about 4k scaling not working. Hacking the Nik Collection to scale to 4k is a headache.

12. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

Does anyone know what the new DXO version have that the free version before DXO bought it does not have? I am wondering why I should now buy the DXO version.

rayvonn likes this.
  13. SithTracy

SithTracy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think I read DXO filed for Bankruptcy. I am concerned with the continued development if the company is struggling to survive. Wondering if they added much to this new paid release or if it is a repackage of the last bit of Google code. I'll wait a bit to invest in it. Look forward to reviews, especially from folks that paid for it in the past under NIK or Google.

14. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

The problem is that when you look at DXO's web site there is almost no detail about what actual improvements in the processing are incorporated. There is lots about updates and compatibility but nothing about the underlying engine. I suspect that users of the new product may notice little or no change in the output from the new Nik. If that is the case why not continue with the free version.

I've moved past Nik now anyway and I doubt I will go back. The new LR CC offers plenty of abilities with its LUTs and I find Tonality does what Nik SFX did better in almost every way except the U point feature.

15. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

It is a chapter 11 style bankruptcy. In the part of the world it would be called administration. The company still exists and is trading whilst be restructured and will presumably emerge from the bankruptcy in sound financial shape. It is not bankruptcy as in closed down and no longer exists.

16. mnscott

mnscott Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I attempted to download the 30 day trial version yesterday. The download function did not work however, so no joy there. I would have just purchased it except I already have the free Google version, which is running just fine for me, and I wanted to make sure this bug fixed DxO version ran ok on my Windows 10 machine before purchasing. I'm not having any issues with the Google version anyway. I'll try to download again in a couple of days. Anybody else have trouble downloading the trial version?

17. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

According to several reports on the 4/3 forum boards from people who bought the new version, they have not yet found any difference between the free version and what you currently get.

18. AnthonyM

AnthonyM Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For me the big difference is that the new version works without crashing Photoshop. That is worth something.

rayvonn likes this.
  19. pointreyes

pointreyes Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Three years ago the bad answer to this issue was used from tech support. Just change that 4k monitor to 1080p - good grief that kills the quality of the screen output. Instead the software should scale out to the OS setting. At least tech support did mention that they will forward the issue to the technical team - I seriously hope the technical team does get it and that they get the software to the 2018 level of monitors.

I do have another solution if I don't want to hack. I did that two years ago because I got tried of forcing software to scale to 4k. I remote desktop into another computer which will scale on the 4k monitor at 1080p. That remote computer has the second installation of the software.

20. Brent Dacus

Brent Dacus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The software that could. Just passed around and around.