This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Non-Fuji lenses on GFX--the Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

Discussion in 'GFX 50S' started by F2Bthere, Jun 29, 2018.

1. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

We keep having small discussions around this issue.

I propose that we have one thread where all observations, experiences and links can be compiled to make it easier for future seekers and for those of us with an interest to follow.

It doesn't belong in the Fuji GFX section and I think it would be a distraction in the adapted lens forum (not to mention most new users will come to this forum first).

If folks agree, we can ask the moderators to make this thread sticky.

2. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My first contribution which is, at best, a small data point.

I do not (yet) own a GFX, but Amazon dropped the adapter price and offered me a coupon on top of that. How could I resist an adapter for a camera I don't own when it was over 35% off ;)

I wandered into our fantastic local camera shop and took a few quick shots wide open with a Nikon 105mm f2.5 and a Zeiss 85mm f1.4. I observed no dark corners and the fall-off seemed in line with the lenses normal behavior.

The lenses worked well. I found the 105/2.5 especially handy and easy to focus quickly and accurately. The 85/1.4 was fine but because of its "special" characteristics, the focusing was not as good as the 105/2.5. To be fair, stopped down a stop or two it probably would have done better, but I didn't try this.

This was a very casual test. No brick walls. No evenly lit surfaces with pixel value comparisons. No lens charts for accurate center and corner sharpness tests.

It shows promise and bears further investigation. If you own either lens, it is worth trying, but I wouldn't buy it for the GFX until someone does further testing.

3. Peter H

Peter H Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just bought a Novoflex adapter to use my Leica Macro-Elmarit R 60mm on my new GFX.

I’m delighted to say it works flawlessly. It’s such a fantastic little lens and the GFX brings out the best in it. A great combination.

A side benefit for me is that it has settled my 110/120 dilemma. In satisfying my urge for a high-quality macro capability, and at a relatively give-away price, I can go for the 11o f2 as my short tele lens with all the benefits that brings, without feeling I ought to have the 120 f4 instead. I now feel I have the best of both worlds and my internal rationalisation demons can take a walk.

F2Bthere likes this.
  4. Mattes

Mattes New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi.

I am using older Minolta Rokkor lenses on my GFX. Longer focal lengths (58 mm f/1.4 and 135 mm f/2.8) don't show any sign of vignetting. My shorter lens (35 mm f/1.8) shows a hard vignette which could be cropped by using the 2:3 format. Since Fuji does not offer a 28 mm equivalent yet (and I prefer fixed focal length lenses over zooms), I am using the 35 at the moment, usually stopped down to 5.6 to 11.

BR
    Matt

F2Bthere likes this.
  5. bobbyzfx

bobbyzfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Matt, Fuji has 23mm f4.

6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If he is looking for a 28mm equivelent on a GFX, he will be wanting something more like 35mm.

7. Mattes

Mattes New Member

-Return to Top-

Exactly. Rumor has it that a 35 mm f/2.8 will be part of the next iteration of the lens roadmap, expected to be published July 19th.

The 23 mm is only f/4 and too wide for my taste - although technically excellent.

Best regards
    Matt