This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

One lens I miss in the portfolio...

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by Viewfinder, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Viewfinder

Viewfinder Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

...is definitely a 16-80mm (preferably) or a 18-100. The zoom ratio of 1:5 would nowadays allow outstanding IQ, better than 18-135, still compact and versatile: an ideal travel zoom.
    Agree or disagree?

2. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm not aware of strong lenses in the range you suggest.

The 18-55 is a strong lens, remarkable for its class.

My guess is that pushing it to 80 would create significant optical compromises with little up-side. For those who want a solid, handy performer: 18-55/2.8-4. For those who want a larger zoom range and are willing to sacrifice some image quality: 18-135. For those who want a fixed 2.8 zoom: 16-55/2.8. I just don't see a very big segment who would prefer an in-between lens. If they could produce a really strong performer that didn't need software correction, I would agree. I just don't think there is any precedent and I consider it unlikely.

What I love about Fuji is that they have avoided the path of mediocrity without becoming slaves to exclusive snobbery. They just create one solid lens after another. They have added a couple inexpensive zooms, and even these don't suck.

Nikon, by contrast, has some outstanding lenses, some workmanlike lenses and a huge array of lenses which serve little good purpose because their image quality is poor and they are merely designed to sell to ignorant consumers who think "this one goes fro 24-300 and costs less, I'll buy it!" Failing to realize that the lens is cheaper because it is riddled with compromises and they would be much better off with more modest zoom range and better quality images, even at the same cost.

Leica makes only very expensive lenses, which limit their usefulness to a broader audience.

My fear is that a lens like this 5:1 zoom becomes a first step down a path which compromises the brand.

The place where I can see a benefit is to look towards the Sigma 18-35/1.8 and the 50-100/1.8. Those lenses are groundbreaking in terms of speed for a fixed zoom and have surprisingly good rendering, too. Creating something like this would be quite significant.

3. Viewfinder

-Return to Top-

These are all excellent lenses in this range (also popular and rather affordable) and I don't see any reason why Fuji could not make one (at least) as good:
    • Nikkor 3,5-5,6/16-85mm
    • Sigma 2,8-4/17-70mm
    • Olympus Zuiko 2,8-4/12-60mm

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  4. Earley Man

Earley Man Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you read the Lenstip reviews on these lenses you will see why Fuji, with their often repeated statement regarding their emphasis on lens quality, have not produced a lens with the same or a similar focal length range.

5. specLegacy

specLegacy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Zuiko 12-60mm was my most-used lens on my Olympus DSLRs. Very versatile range. For me, the extra range at the wide end is much more significant than the reach at the long end. That said, a lens like this would probably end up close to the size of the 18-135, which would personally put me off. Size is the main reason I also haven't picked up the 16-55/2.8. If they can do a zoom that starts at 16mm, f/2.8-4.0 aperture, the same physical size as the 18-55, I'd be very interested.

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  6. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think my standard for strong lenses might be different from your standard for excellent, which is fine :).

7. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

My Nikon 16-85 DX lens is my almost perfect does everything I want lens on a APS-C camera. If Fuji produced an equivalent with maybe a constant f4 I'd be lining up at the camera store before opening time on the day the lens came out.

Viewfinder likes this.
  8. Viewfinder

-Return to Top-

Let me quote Please login to view linkswhich is known for reliable in-depth lens reviews:
    • Nikkor 3,5-5,6/16-85mm
      "...still one of the best standard zooms available for Nikon crop cameras. It is very sharp throughout the range...The level of distortion and lateral CAs is comparatively moderate for such a lens..."
    • Sigma 2,8-4/17-70mm
      "...delivers very solid performance, with very good to excellent resolution in the image center and very good border and corner resolution"
    • Olympus Zuiko 2,8-4/12-60mm
      "It produces very sharp and contrasty images throughout the range. Vignetting, distortions and lateral chromatic aberrations (CAs) are all well controlled...Highly recommended!"
    Also there are several "full format" lenses in this range which are very, very good. If Fuji produces a 18-135mm with a zoom ratio of 1:7.5 accepting the much greater given optical limitations of such a lens I don't see any hurdle for Fujifilm to produce a quite outstanding zoom lens with a 1:5 ratio (~16-80 or ~18-90). And definitely a better IQ than a 18-135 can (naturally) deliver

9. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

To me the best feature of the 16-85 is the 16. That extra 2mm of width over a standard 18-xx lens makes all the difference in many tighter situations.

Viewfinder likes this.
  10. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think that a zoom in this range with a reasonable fixed aperture (3.5 or 4) would be useful, but is hardly a priority over other holes. (Native 1:1 macro, a long prime and a pro level UWA zoom, all of which are on the current lens map)
    Once those are out, I think turning attention to quality, affordable zooms is not a bad idea. I would love a lens that could help bridge the gap between my 18-55 and my Nikon 75-150 3.5 or could be used in place of either or both.

Viewfinder likes this.
  11. R. S. J.

R. S. J. Member

-Return to Top-

When I used Nikon I used to carry a 16-85mm and 80-400mm in a Domke 803 with padding from a Billingham , good combination, I had four other lenses that never saw light of day, I totally agree with you Richard.
    R. S. J.

12. Eric

Eric Active Member

-Return to Top-

I completely agree. When I shot Canon I used the Sigma 17-70 as my everyday lens and it was great. I particularly liked it for travel. I would love a Fuji 16-80, f4 WR LM wth a decent close focus ability.

Viewfinder likes this.
  13. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Member

-Return to Top-

I have to say, my Nikon 16-80 F2.8-4 VR is stunning on my D500, and as mentioned, would love an equivalent for the X-T2

Viewfinder likes this.
  14. Viewfinder

-Return to Top-

A 16-80 for APS-C made by Fujifilm, WR with very good IQ and f3,5 for less than $1000 would for sure be a good-selling highlight amongst the Fuji Zooms

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  15. Brian1940

Brian1940 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Along with many I always thought the XT1 with the 18-55mm a great combination. Then I changed to the X-Pro 2 because I loathe EVFs. I usually print to A3+ with the odd A2. I find very little difference from a print between the two cameras in the real world. Hence the X-T2/X-Pro 2 with a very small crop to 80mm would give anyone about 40 mbs of file to play with. It's only a few years ago 12mbs of file was considered " professional" by most.

I'm not an expert re menu settings etc but I might even suggest the bright line finder on the X-Pro 2 could be adjusted to suit a la Leica Q, which "zooms " by cropping.

And as for the 2mm on the wide end.......take two steps back.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  16. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My personal wish list is for Fuji to make a similar to Canon DO compact lens (70-300mm), which is less than 4" long. More and more times where I hesitated to take Fuji 100-400mm out for a shoot. Too damn long & too heavy. (Must be getting old) :)

Wishlist.jpg