This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Pawn & Junk Shop Finds

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by beakhammer, Nov 5, 2015.

1. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-

check this out:

2. scampagni

scampagni New Member

-Return to Top-

Didnt realise the 1.8 was too and yeah, you right,

3. palane

palane Member

-Return to Top-

The radioactivity isn't a big worry,its not intense and of minor danger with direct exposure.A pentaxian I bought my K1 from repairs these regularly,and has since they were invented.He's going strong running his camera shop in his mid 70s!

imagesfromobjects likes this.
  4. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Craigslist definitely qualifies as a junk shop.
    I still have the Zenit in a box addressed to you. If it sits around here for a few more weeks I should be able to properly test the shutter, when my "Phochron" shutter-tester arrives.

5. imagesfromobjects

-Return to Top-

Thanks, man. No rush! I've got enough gear to keep myself occupied here
    Thanks, man! No rush, I have enough keeping me occupied for now. The C-41 powder kit from FPP has really swayed me toward almost exclusively film anymore, so another body is always appreciated.

Life handed me a couple.... uhh... "surprises", so my A7 fund is down to zilch, but will be in the works again soon. The next analog gear I invest in is going to be MF, for sure. Based on my criteria - small, simple, cheapish, good IQ - I've narrowed it down to either a GS645S or GS645W, so that may actually come sooner than an A7. They seem to go for between 3-400 dollars on EB, almost exclusively from Japan. Unless anyone on the forum laying around they would like to part with. @robert ?

6. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Those little Fuji RF cameras are great, but I think you would like the Mamiya M645 a lot too. Mine cost $105 from KEH in "excellent" condition. Everything works. Then I tracked down a waist level VF for $79, but with patience I could have got one for more like $30 on an e-bay auction that I just missed. The basic prism finders can be had for as low as $40. The basic lenses run around $100, but I got one in a camera shop for $60. The Mamiya M645 and Mamiya 1000s are real bargains. These early models don't have detachable film backs, but that's an advantage in my book. You can get a complete setup (Camera, viewfinder, lens) for between $200 and $300, and they have many of the advantages and capabilities of the SLRs that you are used to using. The other cheap option, that can give real quality results, is one of the little folding cameras that I have been using. Keep an eye out for Voigtlander and Zeiss models from the 1950s.

7. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

@imagesfromobjects Also, I am beginning to think Mamiya lenses are among the very best made. I am using these Mamiya 645 lenses to shift stitch with, and they are easily resolving 100mp plus images.

8. imagesfromobjects

-Return to Top-

I'm into it, but like I said - I REALLY wanna keep it simple. I've seen lovely images from Mamiya, and know a couple folks personally who swear by them. I'm just sticking by my M.O. of never wanting to own a camera I can't carry with me everywhere, and although I'm not going to rule out a Mamiya (or Pentax 645) they are a little too bulky for my introduction into MF. If I happened upon one at a good price, or if someone just let me borrow theirs, I'd jump at the chance. But for now, I believe the GS are the ones for me.

It all started with this thought of "someone really needs to make an MF that's a couple notches above a Holga, dammit", because I like the form factor there. Heck, I even like the lo-fi/lomo thing sometimes! But, seriously - it doesn't have to be a Hassalblad, just a decent point-and-shoot with a GLASS LENS which uses 120. Then I stumbled upon the Fuji 645's and have been obsessed ever since. Extensive reading, research, Flickr droolage... I'm settled. My only quandry concerns whether I'd prefer shooting exclusively at a 35mm or 28mm equiv (S and W, respectively) because I really love both FOVs. Leaning strongly toward the S (35) variant, because it's the more versatile of the two, and I've taken to shooting with a 35mm in portrait orientation a whole bunch - which just happens to be the default for the GS645S.

But, hey - you wanna send me a Mamiya, I wouldn't turn ya down : )

9. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Hah, I am poor right now. Your point about size makes sense. Another option, that I fiddled with in a store, is a small Fuji 645 viewfinder camera that has a zoom lens. Pretty damn cool. The folding cameras are teeny tiny, but it's zone focus or no-focus for many of them. The ones with coupled rangefinders start to be costly (or broken).

10. imagesfromobjects

-Return to Top-

Stumbled across Please login to view links (<-link) the other day. This is all GS645W, absolutely stunning.

11. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

The local charity thrift was smoking hot today, and everything was on sale as well.
    Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex model 1c (late 1950s) in perfect working order. Even the light meter seems to work.
    This has the less-expensive Novar Anastigmat 75mm/3.5 lens; it's a triplet, but it's still a Zeiss and looks to make nice images.
    Oh yeah, it came with the original leather case and box, and there was an exposed roll of film inside, Kodacolor print film (C-22 process).
    Ikoflex sm.jpg

But hey, there's more: A Balda Super-Baldinette, with Balda Baldanar 50mm/2.8 lens. This is another low-end triplet, but this is a cool camera; the whole lens moves in and out instead of front-element focusing and the coupled rangefinder is very clear and bright. Again, everything seems to work.
    Balda Super Baldina sm.jpg

But wait, there's more: This Ansco 6x9 box camera came with an unexposed roll of mystery film inside!
    This camera has two mini ground-glass viewfinders, one for portrait and one for landscape mode.
    There is a lens in there, behind the 1-speed shutter.
    Ansco sm.jpg

12. adnan w

adnan w Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ikoflex was a score Man!
    Triplets I find quiete charming at wide open and swirly distance.... perfect for square format.
    Stop 'em down just a touch and they sing.
    That's a beautiful camera.

This one from a Japanese triplet
    [​IMG]

beakhammer and JamesMc like this.
  13. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Auto Chinon 200mm f/3.5 m42, perchance a Robin flew into the garden as I was testing it for the first time.
    Very decent lens, great build, sharp, nice smooth focus, has some CA but easy to remove in post.
    XT-10 Velvia

Robin - Chinon 200mm Test pics-34_resize.jpg

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  14. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Back to the local thrift for 1/2 price Monday, and picked up a Canon 50mm/1.8 FD lens for $15. I discovered how much I like this lens recently when the traveling lens copy of the Canon 50/1.8 came to me in the mail. Not only does it have great rendering, really sharp but still with a light touch in the way it renders tones, but the range of f-stops, from 1.8 to 22, is very useful as well. I have an FX-FD adapter that provides a way to switch the Automatic aperture setting off. Now I can mail it back to it's owner with a lighter heart. FD lenses are often really nice, and affordable as well.

15. JamesMc

JamesMc Active Member

-Return to Top-

Today I picked up a box of random camera and miscellaneous bits and bobs for GBP £25.00 from my local saleroom, I was the only bidder so got a bit of a bargain.
    Nikkormat 35mm film camera, needs a bit of TLC, the shutter button is stuck down, but overall in very good nick, came with a Hanimex 28mm F2.8 lens in great condition, I could sell the lens on and recoup my costs.

The jewel in the crown though was a hidden Nikon Nikkor-P Auto 105mm 1:2.5 Pre-AI lens. Great condition, paint a bit scratched but focus ring and aperture ring work great.
    Well worth the £25.00 gamble.

Sample pic from Fujifilm X-T10

_DSF7700_[NIK_105mm]_[moredet_med].jpg

16. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Oh man, that's a great find. I used a Nikkormat exclusively for 25 years. It's only a matter of time before I pick one up. I'm just waiting for a deal like yours. That 105mm has a great reputation too.

JamesMc likes this.
  17. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

So far so good with the Ikoflex. I tested the shutter and speeds are running a bit slow, but are consistent, so the camera is perfectly usable. I will clean the mechanism eventually. Everything else about the camera seems in A-1 condition. I ran a film through it and all the mechanicals (double exposure protection, etc.) function fine. The leather case is perfect, and the original box isn't even faded. The light meter seems to be 100% accurate. I think this camera has been stored in a dark, dry place since 1972 or before, unused. The clue was the roll of exposed Kodacolor-X film still inside. C-22 processing for that film ended in 1972.

18. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh man what a score! I've been drooling over the Nikkor 105 2.5 for a couple of years now.

JamesMc likes this.
  19. JamesMc

JamesMc Active Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you, It's a lovely lens. currently on loan with my brother now ;)

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  20. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

This week's 1/2 price-sale at the thrift shop produced this perfect Minolta SRT-200 with MC Rokkor 50mm/2 lens all for $15. The shutter speeds are accurate and everything works. It's a clean camera. I like this pared-down basic model with just a match-needle light-meter and DOF preview. The SRT-series are my favorite Minolta bodies, all-mechanical and made of metal.
    SRT 200 sm.jpg

JamesMc and Tara Elizabeth like this.