This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Pawn & Junk Shop Finds

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by beakhammer, Nov 5, 2015.

1. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Here is another Mercury setup. This is a Mamiya-Press 75mm lens, with a Russian 3.5cm viewfinder and German Range Finder in two of the cold-shoes, and a 6x7 roll film back out of sight on the back of the camera. The M-Press lens is mounted directly to a Mercury-made bayonet mount, since these lenses come mounted in a shutter, just like a large-format lens, but they also have their own focusing helical.

Mercury M-Press 75 sm.jpg

JamesMc and Tara Elizabeth like this.
  2. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Nice find.
    The lens is a great find. Should be sharp.

3. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Here is a shot converted from 6x9 negative of Fuji Pro 400H and made with the above camera and lens. I think the lens needs a bit more shimming.
    Merc Fir sm.jpg

JamesMc and Tara Elizabeth like this.
  4. jknights

-Return to Top-

Nice one.
    I wish I could find stuff like that where I live in Spain.

5. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Snowy Trees? Or funky DIY cameras? Snow can be found in the Pyrenees and the rest of this stuff all came off the Web.

6. jknights

-Return to Top-

Funky cameras!
    Snow is not a desirable component as it doesnt tend to exist at 25C. I prefer 25C to 25F.

7. bcirwin

bcirwin Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The other day my wife found a couple of 120 format colour positives which had been well preserved. I scanned one and it seemed to me to be evocative of Jeff Wall's work (but not his values). I find it very moody and that feeling is enhanced by the fact that I know nothing about the subject of the photograph or the story behind it. Maybe you'll feel the same.

Wallish Photo.jpg

8. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

I found this interesting Ansco Agfa B2 Speedex folder the other day, at Monument Camera in Tucson. This one is essentially the first version of the German-made Agfa Isollette, but was assembled in Binghamton New York in 1940 or so. It is nice and simple, with no double exposure prevention mechanism. Everything works well, except that, as always with Agfa, the bellows have pinholes that need patching. I like this camera a lot, so may order replacement bellows for it ( Please login or register to view links ). The Agfa lenses are stellar and the mechanisms on this camera are in very good condition. A couple of the unusual features of this camera are the 85mm lens (longer than usual for a 6x6) and top plate, which was made from a solid chunk of Bakelite-like plastic. The rest of the camera is made from the usual combination of formed sheet metal and some extremely durable leatherette skin. Ansco B2 Speedex 2sm.jpg

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    JamesMc likes this.
  9. Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I found a Pentax Spotmatic SP II that came with two lenses: 1) Takumar Super Multi Coated 55mm 1.8 in almost perfect condition 2) Auto Tamron (adaptall to M42) 135mm 2.8 in very good condition. Some people rave about this lens. Everything for 49 Euro. I already had the older Super Takumar 55mm 1.8 but always wanted a Super Multi Coated version to see if the newer coating makes a difference.

beakhammer likes this.
  10. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Yesterday's junk shop find. This is a camera I was actively hoping to stumble on, and there it was: a Voigtlander Vito BR.
    Vito BR sm.jpg

11. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

My Spotmatic has the most preternaturally perfect shutter speeds of any camera I own. It's as precise as a brand new camera.

12. Alex Cremers

Alex Cremers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

They also had a very good looking Voigtlander Bessamatic with a 50mm 2.8 Color Skopar lens. 49 Euro, which is not too much for a Bessamatic in good shape. I decided to take the Spotmatic instead. BTW, I just removed the leather case of the Spotmatic and, damn, the battery leaked. Too bad... but I don't shoot analog anyway. ;)

13. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Light meters tend to be pretty far out on those old Spotmatics anyway. Mine works, but is 2 stops off. I don't know if it can be adjusted, but I don't bother with it.

14. jamie allan

jamie allan Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've mentioned quite a few times that I regularly check eBay for things photographic. In particular I tend to look in the Film Camera section. You can find cameras selling cheaply with lenses attached that you'd pay significantly more for on their own. I happened across this lot and bid a speculative £30 and ended up winning the bid at £27 (approx $40). Apart from a bit of dust on the outside of the items they are in very good condition. The camera even has a roll of film in it.
    eBay Purchase.jpg
    The lot consisted of :-
    Konica TC SLR in working condition (as far as I can tell though batteries are needing replaced)
    Konica 28mm f3.5 plus case and square lens hood
    Konica 40mm f1.8 plus pouch
    Konica 135mm f3.2 plus case
    Konica 35-70mm f3.5 with rubber lens hood
    Konica Extension Rings 3 - never opened
    Komura Telemore95 for Konica T3
    Konica AR to 55mm reversing ring
    55mm to 55mm reversing ring
    Remote Cable Release
    Hoya PL 55mm
    Boots CdS-9 light meter - missing battery and no detail as to what it is.

I've already got a 28/3.5 and 40/1.8 so I'll give these to my son-in-law who's looking to buy a Sony A7 but I'm really interested in the 35-70 and the 135/3.2 . I may well also get the necessary batteries - 625PX - to get the roll of film completed.

So the moral of the story is - if you're looking to get into adapted lenses for your Fuji mirrorless check out the Film Camera section of eBay - you never know what you may find.

beakhammer likes this.
  15. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Lovely! I paid a little less for my Konica AR at my local thrift store, but only got the 40/1.8 and the 28/3.5 lenses with it.

You know where to send the film cameras when you are done ransacking the lenses.

16. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

beakhammer,
    Your welcome to them if you want them. Over the last 4 years of buying and using legacy lenses on my Fujis I've amassed 2 Konica TCs, 1 Konica FS-1, 1 Konica FT-1 and a Praktica MTL-3 - as well as the Zenit previously posted. The two TCs and the Praktica could be used to hammer in nails if no other use was found for them - they are robust.
    Here's a couple of shots taken in my very wet back garden last night - it was overcast with rain so I upped the iso. These are out of camera jpegs and all I've done is brighten and slight sharpen for the web - no crop.
    Hexanon 135 f3.2 @ f8 1/125 iso1600
    Hex 135 32 Clematis.jpg

Hexanon 35-70 @70mm f5.6 1/125 iso1600 - the bright bokeh in the upper left corner is caused by a white wall behind the clematis plant.
    Hex 3570 Clematis.jpg

17. Tara Elizabeth

Tara Elizabeth Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Gorgeous shot above. The Konica 135 3.2 was the first vintage lens I bought and I love it.
    Hexanon addiction is a real thing.

jamie allan likes this.
  18. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

Tara,
    Yes I'm beginning to believe that. Every time I buy one I say 'that's it' but then I start looking for the elusive inexpensive 85mm f1.8. I think that's what keeps me looking on eBay.

Tara Elizabeth likes this.
  19. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not exactly a Pawn or Junk Shop find, I was at Please login or register to view linksyesterday and saw a young lady and what appeared to be her parents testing out a few of the vintage 35mm film cameras. I believe she had a Minolta in hand and a Nikon on the counter when I saw the scene. She was about to purchase her first camera and it was to be a film camera and she was demonstrating some of the functions to her mother who was probably a bit surprised by the price. I looked into the show case and saw three Pentax K1000 selling for $248 each with 50mm lenses which as I recall is about what they sold for when new. There seems to be somewhat of a resurgence in young folks trying film these days.

jamie allan likes this.
  20. jamie allan

-Return to Top-

I've got to say that I'm really impressed with the Hexanon 35-70 zoom. I've had a number of zooms on my DSLR/CSCs in the past but never one with such a short zoom range. I don't know if that's the difference but I find this lens very sharp. It's the constant f3.5 version which has got a quirky build. At close focus at 35mm the inner lens barrel protrudes from the outer and as it extends from 35 to 70mm the outer barrel then extends to form a lens hood. As you go from close focus to infinity the outer barrel further extends until it is about 20mm further than the front element. The inner barrel has the normal Hexanon 55mm filter thread but the outer lens barrel has a 62mm filter thread on it and the lens comes with a rubber 62mm collapsible hood.

Tara Elizabeth likes this.