This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Pentax DA lens on Fuji X?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by runswithsizzers, May 14, 2017.

1. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've been searching the forum and reading about my options to mount my Pentax DA prime lenses on my Fuji XE2 body.

I know I'll need an adaptor that provides aperture control, because the DA lenses do not have an aperture ring.

The lens I want to adapt is the Pentax DA 70 mm, but I'll have the Fuji kit zoom (18-55) mounted most of the time - switch to the 70 mm for a few shots, then switch back to zoom.

Let's say I were to buy something like the Please login to view links - is it practical to mount the adapted lens for a few shots - or is it a big hassle involving a lot menu settings, which have to be reversed when going back to a native Fuji lens?

For example, once I set the camera's menu to "shoot without lens" or whatever it's called, can I leave that setting "on" or do I have to turn it back off when I go back to the Fuji lens? Do I have to enter information like focal length or something every time I mount the Pentax lens?

Once the lens is mounted, can I can set the aperture on the adapter, and leave the XE2 in Aperture Priority - or am I limited to full Manual, only?

Is Focus Peaking reliable to manually focus the lens, or do I need to enable the split range-finder thingy (I believe my XE2 has that option)?

Are there any other steps I will need to take every time I want to use the adapted lens that might make the process of switching back and forth between the adapted lens and the kit zoom slow and annoying?

2. StephenL

StephenL Pixel scutcher

-Return to Top-

I can't speak definitively about that lens, but generally I leave the camera on "shoot without lens" all the time and use aperture priority with focus peaking. If you only have the one manual lens just leave the menus set for that focal length - it is ignored by the camera once you fit a Fuji lens.

3. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Cool, thanks!

4. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's prefectly OK to leave it "on" all the time
    You don't need to. It helps to identify your lens in the metadata. If you have only one legacy lens, you can set the FL permanently: XF lenses indentify themselves, no user action required. Otherwise, I recommend a LR add-on called "lenstagger" which uses the well-known ExifTool to set the metadata precisely
    Yes you can leave SS and ISO in auto mode
    Up to you to decide. Some like it, I don't
    Yes: keep the camera faced downwards; don't change lenses in bad weather conditions or otherwise unfriendly environment; keep the lens mount and inside of the adapter perfectly clean; keep the lens mount cap perfectly clean: all to keep sensor cleaning as less frequent as possible

5. DanGleabols

DanGleabols Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

In a nut shell, you can leave shoot without lens on. It makes no difference, when using native lenses. The only menu switching you may wish to do is changing the setting which records the focal length used in the exif when no lens detected. But if your just using one manual lens then you'd only do this occasionally!

6. RogerLund

RogerLund Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would just do something like this.
    shrug

7. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Stephen, Dan, and Dirk, thanks for your helpful replies!

8. NewmanX

NewmanX Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Keep the adapter mounted on the Pentax lens. Then when you change over, effectively you're changing just one, and not unscrewing the Pentax, then removing the adapter.

9. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's one big reason why Fujifilm is so amazing, you can swop between native and adapted lenses instantly with no settings needing adjusting or any hassle.
    After mounting an adapted lens I just flip the front focus lever on my XT-10 to manual focus and then press the rear dial button to instantly zoom into fine focusing mode