This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

'Poor man's FLOG' setting in X-T2

Discussion in 'Videography' started by Stephen Beat, Nov 20, 2016.

1. otsws

otsws Member

-Return to Top-

My non-scientific response here, Internal looks the best. Yeah, I have found even with the Sony's and GH5 that Log images held more noise.
    F-Log I thought I wanted and now all I want is a decent rec 709 image, I still find the X-T2 crushes those blacks just tad much. I really like the mid range push with Astia and at this point I'm gonna stick with this, this week. I have a three day shoot with serval clients.

2. Taranis

Taranis Member

-Return to Top-

Yeah, unless you have access to 10bit or more, you might find it a good idea to finalize your image in-camera.

3. Taranis

Taranis Member

-Return to Top-

Just a quick comparison to show you the positive side of F-Log. There might be times when you really need all the DR you can get. First one is Poor Man's F-Log, second is real F-Log. In both cases highlights are just below clipping point.

DR_Poorman.jpg
    DR_F-Log.jpg

Much more shadow detail in the real F-Log. It's worth mentioning that I could push the shadows of the in-camera version, and got almost as much detail as in F-Log, but there was less color information there, and the whole image looked a bit HDR-ish while F-Log remained natural. I did this test with other demanding scenes too, and always came to the same conclusion. F-Log has it's problems but it's better to have it than not. However, once we get it in-camera (let's hope we will), I'll sell the BM Video Assist 4K in a heartbeat.

4. otsws

otsws Member

-Return to Top-

Yep, big difference right there. I'm sure if F-Log was available as an internal option myself and others would be shooting this way. I was very close in getting an external recorder however my style now is to be minimal these days. I used to cary around 60 kilos of equipment on shoots, now it all fits in a should bag and love this direction. In fact when I was shooting yesterday two people came up and said, great day for taking photos, I love how we can now be seen as a small, rather than a large production when out shooting now with our Fuji equipment.

I wonder which direction Fuji will take the video side of there top end product. Looks like the X-T2 has hit a brick wall with improvements so will there be a new camera next year or is this the best we can expect, time will tell hey!

5. otsws

otsws Member

-Return to Top-

Hey I ment to ask Taranis, what are you editing in? and how are you grading.

6. Taranis

Taranis Member

-Return to Top-

I use Resolve for color grading since version 11. I used to edit in Premiere but now I try to do everything in Resolve, it's getting better and better. The grading process depends on the source, it's a hobby for me but I do help out friends who have different cameras, so there is no single way I could describe.

7. otsws

otsws Member

-Return to Top-

Cool man, Ive been looking at Resolve for editing and looks good.

Cheers, Simon

8. Taranis

Taranis Member

-Return to Top-

Earlier I posted some banding comparisons. The F-Log version looked pretty bad there, but I realized that I didn't press record on the camera before pressing record on the video assist. For some reason you have to press both or weird things happen.

This is the wrong version: Please login to view links
    The noise has this ugly horizontal pattern, and the image is not that crisp.
    This is the good version: Please login to view links
    Noise is still there but more "blocky" and subtle.
    After a bit of cleanup: Please login to view links

I analyzed F-Log samples from 4 different people, and 3 of them recorded F-Log wrong, judging by the noise pattern.

9. otsws

otsws Member

-Return to Top-

I'll have a look when I'm back home.

I've been away all this week and shooting with the Provia Film Simulation for a client. Gota say, this is really the best basic Film Simulation straight outa camera although the blacks are a bit crushed for my liking at times.

Think I'm gonna stick with Provia for a while now, I did start with this and then worked my way through the other Film Simulations without much success for me.
    I really wish there were a few extra creative functions/adjustments in the X-T2 to dial in or out these profiles to my liking.

Good Shooting.

Simon

10. Taranis

Taranis Member

-Return to Top-

The difference is not that visible when watching the monitor in bright sunlight, if this is the case, crank up the saturation until the artifacts show.

I did comparisons when I got the camera, I always prefered the colors of Pro Neg STD or Pro Neg Hi over Provia. I think I only used for Provia for some landscape photos, it's great for those.