This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Post Processing X Trans files - Anyone using Alien Skin Exposure X3

Discussion in 'Post Processing/Software Forum' started by llevine, Jan 24, 2018.

1. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm a long time Lightroom user. I shoot with the X-T2 and the GFX50. The X-T2 has the X-Trans sensor and the GFX50 uses the traditional Bayer sensor. Recently I was told that I should look at Alien Skin Exposure X3 for my post processing or possibly as a plug in for Lightroom and Photoshop. Does anyone have any experience that they can offer? Thanks.

2. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thomas Fitzgerald suggests X-Transformer-> Luminar as a "better" method to handle RAF processing. his site has a video addressing that topic.

I've not seen any tests re Alien Skin Exposure 3 and just downloaded the 30-day trial today. My first experience with it but recall others seem to use it quite a bit, Kevin Mullins for one. Seems fast, lots of functionality, much better UI than Luminar and LR, but it ain't cheap. It does have DAM on the front-end. I was using RAF -> X-Transformer -> DNGs with Thomas' suggested "Luminar" formula; didn't see anything really nasty.

3. LoneTreeBeer

LoneTreeBeer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think that the recent interest in Alien Skin may be due to the videos that Kevin Mullins is (has) been posting - he is a very strong advocate for Alien Skin

4. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I bought Alien Skin Exposure 3 and I haven't looked back. It has a workable DAM, excellent tools (especially with the addition of gradient layers recently) and a fantastic set of film simulations and other presets. It also, for me, scores over Lightroom in that there's none of this flitting between modules - everything is done in the same interface. It seems to process RAFs without any issues at all and I'm extremely happy with the results. The only area in which it's lacking, for me, is that I can't find any plugins for uploading content to Flickr and Smugmug, which is the only reason I still have Lightroom on my system. Nonetheless, I recently reimplemented my entire library system to an ASE-friendly structure and I use it exclusively for ingestion and organisation, only later importing (and leaving in place) whatever I need in Lightroom. As soon as I can find an easy solution for publication to the web services LR will be gone from my life forever (and I speak as someone who has used LR since it first appeared and has put 100s of weddings through it!).

One more thing - of course the purchase price seems steep, but it really only represents a year or so of LR subscriptions and don't forget it also replaces a lot of the functionality of Photoshop as well.

jknights and bobjar like this.
  5. LoneTreeBeer

LoneTreeBeer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

What does ASE friendly mean??
    Also, does Alien Skin manage libraries (my main quest) or just post-production?

6. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

Alien Skin Exposure-friendly.

Depends what you mean by libraries. Alien Skin's DAM functions are based on your folder structure. For instance - in my Pictures folder, I have 2 subfolders - Film and Digital. When I ingest I simply choose the relevant subfolder and Alien Skin will import my images and arrange them in dated sub-folders (you have to set it up to do that). Works for me.

7. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There is a 30-day trial. Take a look and decide.

8. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Exposure 3 has a SmugMug export path, did not see Flickr. Others available too.

9. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

Where's that then? I couldn't find it and the forums say that you can set custom export parameters for SmugMug, but you have to publish independently of ASE3.

10. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

upload_2018-1-25_12-55-59.png

Under File Quick Export - drops into a folder on desktop as indicated. Guess a lawyer would say exporting was accomplished, however closing the deal with importing to SmugMug has not. :)

Glad we sorted that out.

Tim Sewell likes this.
  11. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

OK will give it a test and see how I cope with my assignments on Friday and Saturday.

12. Tim Sewell

-Return to Top-

You've got me thinking now, actually, about writing an Automator script (I'm on a Mac) to watch the target folder and upload to SM automagically. If I can find the time I might give it a go, since the incessant rain and cold currently engulfing East Sussex is leaving precious little time to actually go out and take photos!

13. llevine

llevine Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I actually heard about Alien Exposure X3 from Tomash of Fujilove. I had also heard about Luminar and decided to give both a trial. (I am a longtime Lightroom user). I also heard that Luminar had some issues with X-Trans files but this, supposedly, has been fixed in their 2018 version. The workflow of Alien X3 seems very interesting. I have to try out the interface with Smugmug as that is where my website is. Thanks to all for the good information.

14. djsuth

djsuth Member

-Return to Top-

Well, I decided to have a look at the free 30 day trial for Alien Exposure X3 but it doesn't work for me - it won't render any images in it's browser. Anyone else had this issue ? I've had a good look on the internet but not come across any solutions.

15. iqall

iqall New Member

-Return to Top-

I don't have this problem but could it help to add a bookmark? Please login or register to view links

16. Brent Dacus

Brent Dacus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have it. I general I like it. Its noted to be slower on retina screens. I have spoken with support about the slowness on 5 k they are working on it. I did also discover a Keyword import bug. If you try to import Large keyword files it choked. I think the fixed that in the last bug release.