This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

RAF - SD - iMAC issue - help?

Discussion in 'X-T2, X-T1, X-T20, X-T10' started by wmiller549, Jun 19, 2017.

1. wmiller549

wmiller549 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've been at this digital photography thing for a couple of decades now, but I've never run into this issue.

Took some shots yesterday with my X-T2. I shoot Jpeg+RAW and slot 2 as 'back-up'. I download the files to a folder on my desktop, then open them in whatever software.

I put the slot 1 card in the reader. All of the Jpegs are there, but there is a 25 RAW files missing in the middle of the string. I tried the back-up card from slot 2, same thing. I tried both cards in both the internal and external card readers. No luck. Those 25 RAW files do not appear on either card on either reader. I KNOW the missing RAW files exist on both cards because I can do in-camera RAW modifications.

So the files are not 'missing' they are just not recognized by my computer. There is nothing unique about the missing files compared to the other recognized RAW files. I'm stumped.

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions?

2. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Might you have changed from Uncompressed to Compressed RAW?

Asmguy likes this.
  3. MonkeyDavid

MonkeyDavid Active Member

-Return to Top-

I don't have an X-T2, but on the X-T20 and X100F there are some modes that are JPG only...(like bracketing mode, if I remember correctly).

Asmguy likes this.
  4. Asmguy

Asmguy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

deleted by poster

5. vague_logic

vague_logic Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Don't know the answer though suggest trying to download via USB cable and the iMac's "Image Capture" utility.

6. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When you say you "download the files to a folder on my desktop" are you dragging the files from the SD card in the Finder ? Or are you using some kind of import software like Image Capture?

7. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Card reader might be an answer. You can then interrogate the card to ascertain if the files are there!

I always use a card reader and never have a problem, of course a Mac cannot display the compressed raw thumbnails, but they import from the hard disk to Lightroom no problem!

8. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ok, a few questions.

1. You stated that you can Accomplish in-camera RAW conversion of the missing images, when you select one of those images, in the info, is it actually a RAW image? Click on DISP/BACK to get to a screen that includes that info.

2. In the computer, by they do not appear, do you mean you do not see a preview of the image, or no file at all. Compressed RAF would preview in finder as an icon that could give an impression that the file is missing. So not looking at icons or previews, but just file names, are RAW files missing?

3. For the associated JPEG images (but missing matching RAW) what sort of image captures where they? PANO? Auto film sim?, etc etc

9. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

By the way, from your post I take it you are in the camp that brings your images into your computer via the MAC Finder or Windies File Exployer and then launches a post processing application, as opposed to launching the post processing software then importing the images.

Now, if you change your workflow for this one odd situation, if you launch Lightroom, and import, does LR see the missing images?

10. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

I was wondering the same thing - that is, can Lightroom see the RAF files?

11. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Yes.

12. wmiller549

-Return to Top-

All the RAW files are compressed

13. wmiller549

-Return to Top-

The RAW files that do not appear on the card are shot with the same parameters as the ones that do appear.

14. wmiller549

-Return to Top-

I've never connected to camera directly to the computer. I'll try that next.

15. wmiller549

-Return to Top-

I insert the SD card in the reader and then drag and drop the files into folders on the desktop. One for Jpegs. One for RAW.

16. wmiller549

-Return to Top-

I've tried using the iMac card reader and an external card reader. The same files are missing on both SD cards using both readers.

17. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

I know Lr can see RAF files in general - my question was: Is it possible the Lr Import function might be able to see files on wmiller549's SD card that the Mac OS Finder cannot see? Unlikely, but ... ?

18. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So,

1) All your RAW files are compressed RAF?
    2) You can see some, and not others?
    3) You are using a MAC of some form, so Apple Operating System?
    4) By missing, do you mean absolutely no file, or no decent preview (does a icon come up in place of a preview image)

And an additional inquiry similar to one I just asked another member. If you put that SD card back into your camera, and preview one of the images that is not showing up on your computer, IS it actually a RAW file? (sequence thru the DISP/Back button to get to a preview display that shows that info). AND, is any special Drive Mode set that is JPEG only (assuming your display settings includes that check box) Multi Exposure, Advanced Filterers, PANO?

19. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

An issue is the Finder and other file management apps in MAC OS, currently cannot display a compressed RAF. It will display an icon in the place of the preview.
    LR on a MAC computer can.

Just checked my Windows 10, and Windows File Management can.

20. wmiller549

-Return to Top-

Thanks all for the kind efforts to help me resolve this issue.
    I figured out the problem. I'm a dumbass, that's the problem.

It helped when I bothered to check which pics actually had the missing RAW files. I forgot that I took a mid-day break at the hotel. During this downtime, I reprocessed in-camera a number of RAW files, changing highlight and shadow tone, film profiles etc. The result was 25 Jpeg's with no corresponding RAW files. I didn't have 25 missing RAW files, I had 25 extra Jpegs.

The fact that I was downloading my SD cards before finishing my first cup of coffee this morning had to be a contributing factor.
    Sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks again.

Asmguy, Richard_R and rybolt like this.