This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Rapid battery drainage...

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by Mik9, May 16, 2018.

1. Mik9

Mik9 New Member

-Return to Top-

Hello, Fuji-X Braintrust-

Recently, after updating my FW to 4.01, I noticed my camera would at random times noticed my camera would not turn on. I'd remove and reinsert the battery and would get a shot or two before noticing the battery was dead. This happened a few times and I started thinking it was the FW though can't find anyone with the same issue. So, I charged both batteries this morning, didn't shoot all day. i took the camera out this evening to take a shot my my dog getting sprayed with the hose, and battery is dead. Any ideas? Batteries are OEM and purchased with the camera just after the release date.

Mik9

2. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You are turning your camera off after each use????

3. Mik9

Mik9 New Member

-Return to Top-

Yep. Always. It's the first thing I check. Also, I don't have any battery-hungry features enabled other than High Performance Mode, and that has never been an issue.

4. mokeiyong

mokeiyong Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It is recommended to reset the system after every fw update. It has been reported in the forum, some users experienced glitches after fw update (especially big updates) perhaps due to some uninitialized variables. A simple reset will get the job done, but before doing so, please note down your settings :)

5. Mik9

Mik9 New Member

-Return to Top-

Yikes. Okay, thanks. I'll try that tonight. Probably good to go through and redo some settings anyway.

6. ZaltysZ

ZaltysZ Active Member

-Return to Top-

Not xpro2, but still might be related. I have xe2 for 2 years and had 2 cases when the battery was drained completely by itself. In both cases camera with a fully charged battery was packed in the bag and left there over night for the trip next day. I made sure the switch was in off position, however I think shutter button could be depressed overnight due to tightness/position of the bag as I use soft release button accessory and it sticks out more. Note that on/off switch doesn't crudely break/connect power to circuits, it simply signals the user intent to controller inside the camera, and probably just puts the camera into deep sleep state.

Arjay likes this.
  7. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

If you use an overly tight camera bag in combination with a soft release, the shutter release isn't just in danger of being depressed, the same can also switch on the camera. This is because rotating the soft release will also rotate the power switch! Consequently, the camera will cyclically switch on and off if you set Auto Power-Off to any other value than Off.

Solution: Get a camera bag that doesn't exert pressure on the camera's shutter button.

8. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is exactly right, found it out much to my dismay, it can also damage the shutter button switch.
    Also a tight camera bag will soon have the eyepiece off a non updated/repaired X-Pro2

9. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

interesting problem but regarding the reset.

re : It is recommended to reset the system after every fw update."
    -- recommended by who ?

this would seem to be a no brainer instruction specifically stated by the manufacturer on the firmware itself if they felt it was required. they should know what, if anything, is happening to the camera settings when a firmware update is installed.

maybe this is related too ?
    - whenever i do an IOS upgrade to my Iphone, it appears that it is 'reset', but settings are preserved. wouldn't the same thing happen with a camera firmware update, even if it's not specifically mentioned by Fuji ?

10. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I've never heard of any such recommendation, and I never reset my camera after a FW update or a battery exchange.

Resetting should be the first troubleshooting option whenever your camera acts up or shows unstable operation, but other than that, I don't see a need to reset my camera.

The very early firmware versions of the X100 and the X-Pro1 would wipe any user settings, which would be equivalent to a factory reset. But that's a thing of the past for all current Fuji cameras and firmware versions.

11. JRick

JRick Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Arjay
    did you read my entire post ?
    I didn't say "it was ....."
    ....the OP did :)

12. pszilard

pszilard RemektekMedia.com

-Return to Top-

Haven't seen this on my X-PRO2, but my X-H1 went funny and I had it replaced under warranty. Is it feasible to return to Fuji for checking? Could also try to reinstall latest firmware.

13. Skylark

Skylark Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I've seen a few people mention a reset solved random issues that couldn't be pinned down, probably worth doing that one or two times and see if that helps.

14. Mik9

Mik9 New Member

-Return to Top-

Tried the reset method. Didn't work, unfortunately. I did notice that a battery I had installed after charging all night would not power the camera. Anyone know how many charge cycles these batteries have in them?
    I can't imagine it being the battery, but who knows...

15. Mik9

Mik9 New Member

-Return to Top-

I have a Billingham which provides ample room. I've never had to cram my camera in it's compartment. Many times, I've just placed it in the top of a roll top backpack w/o issue.

16. Mik9

Mik9 New Member

-Return to Top-

Just wanted to follow up...

Issue persisted and I finally decided to reinstall the firmware (4.10). Being an IT guy, this should have been my first step. That said, still no luck. Camera turns on once or twice, and I can take a few shots, turn off camera, and then it wont power back on. This is frustrating since not many people seem to have this issue. If anyone has some magical solution, I'd love to hear it, otherwise I'm going to wait until FW 5.00 to be released. If that doesn't resolve the issue, then looks like I'll be sending it to Fujifilm. Balls.

17. Mike Gorman

Mike Gorman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You need to send it for repair ASAP don’t wait for FW 5.0!

18. Mik9

Mik9 New Member

-Return to Top-

You're probably right. Taking steps to sent it back now. Just had some hope since the camera was 100% fine before "upgrading" the FW. Hoping since it's out of warranty that the cost won't be ridiculous.

19. Chuck Carstensen

Chuck Carstensen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Glad to see you are sending the camera to Fujifilm.

20. rixpix

rixpix Member

-Return to Top-

If it were me, I'd want to be certain the batteries are in good condition and certain they are in fact fully charged and before I sent my camera away. Have you tried known good batteries or the batteries you are trying in another camera ?

Oh ... and I'm assuming things are not frigid where your camera is.