This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Recommendations for reasonably priced 27 inch monitor for MacBook Pro 13 2018

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by Musicophile, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Musicophile

Musicophile Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My old 2009 27 inch iMac is getting a bit slow.

Im thinking of getting an external 27 inch screen to go with my 2018 MacBook Pro 13 (basic model, no dedicated GPU).

From the reviews I’ve seen unless I want to spend >$1000, I can either get a 4K but no full Adobe RGB coverage screen (eg LG) or a BenQ with excellent color rendition but only 2K resolution.

Any recommendations?

2. MarcBC

MarcBC Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

My 2010 Mac did the same, however, a replacement by Apple hard drive at £150 fixed the issue completely. As long as you have backed the machine up to a separate drive via the time capsule it restored itself with no issues in very little time. I was about to spend serious coin on a new machine but Apple ran some diagnostics and made the suggestion themselves. I am very happy with the repair and Apple service.

3. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If the old machine has a regular HD then an SSD will definitely be a huge upgrade as far as speed goes.

As far as monitors go I am using a Dell U2713HM. It's not 4k but colors are very good.

4. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

To me it is important to be able to calibrate the monitor's R, G and B channels individually, to get the right colour balance for printing, and also to set the gamma level with a calibration device and the calibration software. That's why for my 2017 MacBook Pro 13 I got the NEC Multisync 27, here:

Please login or register to view links

This is in Canadian dollars, so it would be around $1,000 US. As I use this monitor daily for any and all computer uses, the annual cost over its expected lifetime is reasonable. Many of the Fuji lenses and most camera bodies cost more, yet are not used nearly as often. NEC also has excellent tech support to help with any calibration issues, via a live body on the phone.

5. Musicophile

Musicophile Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I already switched to SSD some years ago tHieb is how it survived as long.

However, when I recently switched to the X100F with compressed raw, Capture One just became a bit too slow.

And now for the first time I wasn’t able to update to the latest OS any more. So it is time for the IMac to retire as a multimedia center in the living room and use the new MacBook as my main machine.

Hence the need for a monitor.