This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Rio Grande del Norte National Monument

Discussion in 'Landscape' started by merlinus, Jun 17, 2017.

1. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

Here is the first batch of photographs from our trip yesterday to this area. The magnificence and vastness of the landscape, the incredible rock formations, and the roaring river were astounding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seamus3900 likes this.
  2. pluton

pluton Member

-Return to Top-

Beautiful country, sharply photographed. I have put Rio Grande Del Norte NM on my list of places to visit!

merlinus likes this.
  3. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks very much, Pluton! Lots to see, and photograph, in this area...

4. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This might be an artifact of downsampling the image for web, but there are several faint lines running vertically and horizontally that consistently appear in the same place in the image. For example, look at the top right corner in the images with blue sky in them.

Did you use the same camera/lens combination for all images? I think #4 looks different from the rest.

5. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for your feedback dem, but I cannot see what you are referring to on my monitor, even at 1:1. Yes, #4 was taken with a different camera (same one as #3, 6, 7, and 8), and #5 with a different lens than #1, 2, 9, and 10.

6. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I see it on #1 and #2, only - but I didn't notice it, at all, until you mentioned it.

On #1 there is one very faint, light colored horizontal line running full width just above the highest point of the rocks, and also 4 faint, equally spaced verticals.

On #2 the situation is similar - the horizontal runs off the right edge of the image just about where the ascending diagonal of the cliff edge runs into the right edge. I see 4 faint verticals - the moon is between the first and second vertical, closer to the second one. The second vertical is about two moon-diameters to the right of the moon, and the horizontal is about 1.5 moon-diameters below the moon.

They really do not detract from the images in any way because the lines are almost invisible, but I can't imagine where they came from ...

BTW there is another interesting place where you can get to the river called the John Dunn Bridge, which is about 15 miles northwest of Taos.

7. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting... I can barely make out these lines. 'Tis a puzzlement! They definitely are not visible in LightZone, which I use for pp.

I am familiar with the John Dunn Bridge, as that is where most of the Taos Box rafters put in. There are also hikes down into the Gorge southwest of Questa (Big and Little Arsenic and La Junta, trails which I have hiked in seasons past).

8. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If the lines appear only when you upload the images to the website, then I would not worry about them. I think they are just artefacts produced by the website software when it resizes the images to have 1200 px along the long side. If you resize your images yourself to this size before uploading them, then they are not altered in any way and displayed as they are.

Welcome to the forum.

9. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

If the lines "are just artefacts produced by the website software when it resizes the images" then I would expect them to appear in many photos, posted by various members. So I went looking, and sure enough, I found some in the thread titled "Deer Creek Canyon" - which is also by the same member who posted these photos - merlinus. Furthermore, when I go to another website where merlinus has posted photos - Merlin Emrys - I can see the faint gridlines on his photos there. That site seems to be hosted by SmugMug, which I use myself, and I can't find any gridlines on my photos posted there. I checked one or two other SmugMug galleries - also grid free.

I think we can rule out resizing software as used by FujiX-Forums and SmugMug. The appearance of the lines very much resembles the kind of grid overlay which can be displayed by either the camera's viewfinder or editing software.

Previously, I said I didn't notice the gridlines except in #1 and #2, but today I can see them #5 and #10, as well. I do not see the artifacts in #4, which merlinus says was taken with a different camera. So if the same editing software was used for #4, then I'd say the evidence points to the camera which was used to take 1, 2, 5, and 10.

Merlinus, do you have that camera set up to display a grid in the viewfinder?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    merlinus likes this.
  10. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

After testing, it seems very clear that my pp software is the source of the gridlines, however faint they may be, and have posted about it, with examples, at their forum.

Many thanks to all those who have alerted me to this situation, and hopefully it can be resolved quickly. Otherwise I will have to change my pp software.

None of my cameras are set up to display gridlines.

11. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

12. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

I don't see any sign of the grid lines on that one!

So, I assume photo #4 was not only a different camera, but different post processing as well? And the shot linked to here is the same image as #2, but with different pp?

merlinus likes this.
  13. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

The one I uploaded to my website was the original of #2, SOOC with no processing. #4 was a different camera, but with the same pp software (LightZone) as all the others. Perhaps LZ processes the jpegs from that camera differently, or the gridlines do not appear on all the LZ-processed jpegs.

I have since processed #2 with different software (RawTherapee), and there are no gridlines. So clearly LightZone is the culprit, and not my camera or lenses.

Thanks hugely for your assistance!

14. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If you adjust the curves to stretch the tones in the sky, this will produce the following pattern of luminance noise in the SOOC image:

XT1F2642.JPG

and Lightzone:
    XT1F2642_lzn.jpg

I do not see any hot pixels in the original file that might have triggered these lines. It is something weird in Lightzone.

merlinus likes this.
  15. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

Very interesting!

Someone responded to my post at the LZ forum saying he had experienced the same thing, albeit only occasionally. Looks like I will be using RawTherapee until the developers fix the issue. :(

16. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

Heard back from the main developer, Masahiro. Here is what he had to say:

"This issue was already reported on github ( Light white grid appearing on editing photos · Issue #162 · Aries85/LightZone · GitHub ), but I haven't found the cause yet. :(

All I have found so far is that the lines appear only when "Fit within 2048 x 2048" was selected in Preferences > Save > "Resize To" and saved file format was JPEG or 16-bit TIFF."

So for now I have changed "Fit within" to "2560x2560" as I prefer jpeg but larger than 1536 or 1024, and hopefully that will get rid of the gridlines.

17. merlinus

merlinus Member

-Return to Top-

Looks as though this workaround is perfect!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 6:22 PM