This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Sad day - no more f11 magazine

Discussion in 'General Photography Discussion' started by Richard_R, Aug 13, 2017 at 8:01 AM.

1. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Got this email today.

After six years and 66 issues of publishing f11 Magazine, I have made the incredibly difficult decision to place the magazine in suspension. There are no new issues planned at this stage.

The idea of a magazine about photography and photographers - rather than cameras and accessories - found a loyal and appreciative audience around the world. I like to think that our approach was more cerebral than many other titles, and that we were able to rise above the perils of pixel peeping, equipment worship, and the banal. Our mission was to expose the work of photographers, display their collections, and describe their personal journeys. We were never short of content as we made the world our home.

Unfortunately, the concept of a magazine free to readers and funded entirely by advertising support proved much more difficult to sustain as a business proposition. I'm investigating other options to keep the title alive in some form, but this will take time and dialogue with others - hence the decision to suspend publication at this point. It's my hope that a successful outcome from one of these conversations will expose the magazine to a much larger potential audience, while at the same time ensuring its financial viability with a new business model.

If you have been a reader, a commercial supporter, or simply a believer in our approach to content and community I thank you sincerely for your encouragement and participation. I know not what the future holds for f11 Magazine, for photographers and aficionados, but I'm personally proud of the content and quality that a small team has been able to produce consistently. We've been on time, on topic, and appreciated for 66 consecutive issues - and that's no small achievement.

Once we have a meaningful update to share, I'll be sure to let you know. Equally, if you have any thoughts that you'd like to share with me, please feel free to get in touch: feedback@f11magazine.com.

If you have never read f11 magazine it is well worth visiting the web site (Please login to view links) and downloading a couple of back issues.

liggy, Fujiphotog, YogiMik and 2 others like this.
  2. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Had the same email myself having only just subscribed. I will have to look at the back issues now, hope they will remain available.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017 at 9:39 AM
  3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

All 66 editions are on line and I am sure that they stay there.

leoda1945 and Topsy like this.
  4. Topsy

Topsy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks.

5. Beaumont

Beaumont Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Subscribed, and took a look at a magazine. A pity they have ceased publishing. Let's hope they can start up again.

6. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Have just seen that in my mail as well. I have all the various issues stored away.
    This is a great loss as the photography and images from the magazine were very good.

I think they should have been able to attract more content from around the world but the standards of images were always very high but were from 'local' Oz and NZ photographers with only the occasional contribution from USA and Europe.

7. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think the f11 magazine concept was a bit too similar to what has been done for decades by Please login to view links, and while they are well established in the artistic realm of photography, I believe even Lenswork has had some degree of difficulty in keeping afloat.

8. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

I also got the disappointing notice, hopefully they can restructure and establish the commercial viability they need to remain n print - so to speak.