This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Short history of Street Photography

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by rsn48, Feb 13, 2018.

1. rsn48

rsn48 Member

-Return to Top-

I've posted this video a few times in dpreview and those that hung in and watched the whole thing have enjoyed it. I consider this to be the best video on the evolution and history of street photography on the net. This video starts out pretty pedantic (translation: a bit boring, not to bad though) so don't give up early. Vendula Ralkova is the presenter and she is a prof (hence the pedantic nature of the opening) living in Vancouver. This was a free lecture open to the public, it became so popular she offered it several times after this initial presentation. What follows is copy and paste from her bio with a link I'll provide at the bottom of this post.

Diploma in Professional Photography, Langara College, graduated 1995
    Bachelor Degree (Major Photography), Emily Carr University, graduated 2006
    Master Degree on scholarship, Contemporary Fine Arts Academy, Milan, Italy graduated 2008
    Internship at Magnum Photos Agency in Paris, France – cooperation with Josef Koudelka on his catalogue raisonné

Teaching at Shadbolt Centre for the Arts in Burnaby since 2009
    Teaching at Focal Point since 2009 until 2012
    Teaching at Emily Carr University continuing studies since 2011
    Teaching at Simon Fraser University continuing studies since 2012

Her bio is my way to say she knows her stuff. When you watch this video, you'll learn why Leica is such a dominant camera in street photography. So go get a pop and chips or popcorn, as you ready to watch her lecture (lots of pics, early on no pics), this video is 65 minutes duration.

You have two homework assignments: one - on a piece of paper create two columns, first one is "sharp" and the other column "not." Every time you see an image, but a mark in the appropriate column.

The second assignment is to learn how to pronounce Henri Cartier-Bresson like she does. Vendula speaks 5 languages and I'm guessing one of them is French. Pronouncing Henri's name as she does will give you "creds around the street photographer's water cooler."

A link to her website that I so freely copied and pasted:

Please login or register to view links

HeikkiP and trainer like this.
  2. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

I watched her whole video, right to the end. She explained the history very well. Thanks for posting the link.

Her pronunciation of "Henri Cartier-Bresson" is with a slight Russian or other Eastern European accent. She pronounces "Bresson" as if it had a "g" on the end, as "Bressong", rather than the more nasal pronunciation used in France or Quebec, but it is barely noticeable.

3. rsn48

rsn48 Member

-Return to Top-

But can you pronounce it like here.

4. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I haven't watch video, yet . . . Very impressive bio, . . . study, teaching, . . . seems it consumed her whole time . . . just wondering, when she's got time to shoot for living to get a real experience . .

5. Fujiphotog

-Return to Top-

I grew up in Quebec, and took daily French lessons while working for the Feds in Ottawa, so I can pronounce his name the same way as Henri would have.

6. Fujiphotog

-Return to Top-

She doesn't mention it on this video. She says the purpose of her video is not to teach us how to create street photography but how to view it. I would guess that teaching is her profession, not taking photographs for a living.

7. redshifted

redshifted photographer

-Return to Top-

Google can be your friend :cool:...

Please login or register to view links

8. rsn48

rsn48 Member

-Return to Top-

In the year 2018, I'm amazed at how many folks just don't use Google that well. I have three hobbies, photography being one of them, model Railroading and fishing being the other two - new to fishing. So I'm over helping a buddy - Lt. Colonel - in the Canadian Forces, a bright guy and generally with it. So we are discussing how to solder and he tells me the hard time he's having. So I had him google - model railroading, how to solder videos - and of course up pops many videos with instructions illustrated. Again we were building a "yard ladder" and he was having a hard time, again I said google - how to build an N scale yard ladder, video - and you can guess the results.

Vendula was from Czechoslovakia, that's the accent you are hearing. You learn that if you tabbed on the link I provided.

9. Martin E

Martin E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks, watched it last night, interesting. By the way it's the correct pronunciation of 'Atget' that I really struggle with.