This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Should you use a hood when shooting indoors with natural light?

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by comma, Dec 5, 2017.

1. dem

dem Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The good thing about the hood is that it stops the front element from bumping into table corners, door handles and such.

Fujiphotog likes this.
  2. Fujiphotog

Fujiphotog Amateur photographer.

-Return to Top-

That is one of the advantages. I also look at the issue more generally, with these questions:

1. What do you lose by using a lens hood?
    2. What risks do you take by not using a lens hood?
    3. How would you balance the first two.

For me, I lose nothing by leaving a lens hood on my lenses.
    I risk image degradation and front element damage by not using the lens hood.
    It is not worth the risk to fail to use a lens hood.

Of course, other photographers may have other answers.

jknights likes this.
  3. comma

comma New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for all the input guys.
    I guess personally I've always wanted my kit to be as small as possible. A lens hood just always seemed clunky to me. For the photography I've done, I've never seen any visible improvements when using a hood (maybe I didn't look close enough).
    And I actually have the opposite problem as a lot of you. A lens hood tends to cause me to knock my camera into MORE things instead of preventing it.

I understand it doesn't hurt to keep it on, but there are probably a lot of things that wouldn't hurt but that just add unnecessary bulk. Was just curious if anyone regularly shot without a hood.

Seems like the answer is no. Thanks again!

Secondary question. Since a hood for my 35mm 1.4 costs almost $100. is there a good aftermarket solution you guys would recommend?

4. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

I
    I use an ebay vented metal hood (Leica-like). I think it cost me $6.00 with free delivery. It works a treat on my XP2 :)

Fujiphotog likes this.
  5. comma

comma New Member

-Return to Top-

Cool! Do you by any chance have a link? I want to make sure I get the best aftermarket one for the 35
    Thanks!

6. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

I think that this is the same place I bought from, it didn't ship quick but it did ship free :)

Please login or register to view links

There are plenty there though, just search for "XXmm vented metal lens hood" and you will get a huge selection.

Enjoy :)

7. trainer

trainer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I use hoods all the time. Interestingly I saw a video of Annie Leibovitz shooting the queen of England with quite a bit of lighting kit and many assistants. I was very surprised to see that she did not have hoods on nor did I see flags. I guess what surprised me was that she wasn't using them when having one on really has no detrimental effect.

8. comma

comma New Member

-Return to Top-

For some reason for me they are just annoying and seem to get in the way.
    My thinking has always been the opposite, but I am not a professional photographer.
    I have seen no real positives to using it for my photography so I see no need in keeping it on.

I understand that it might help from bumping the lens, but if I'm bumping the front element of my lens into something while I'm shooting, I'm also doing something else wrong :)

That being said, I'll probably try using them a little more.

Some of the vintage nikon ais manual lenses I use never even came with hoods