This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Small wide angle package

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by Danny B, Sep 13, 2017.

1. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The speed booster is probably the way to go. I should have gotten one a long time ago. Yes, it adds a bit of length and bulk, but there are a lot more good affordable options when you can use SLR lenses at their designed field of view, plus you get a bonus extra stop of light. I like my Minolta MD Rokkor 28mm/2.8. It renders well on the Fuji sensors. The older MC Rokkors are nicer in terms of build, but they are a lot bigger and heavier, and sometimes may lack the better coatings of the MD series.

There are two logical approaches to this problem. One is the Frankie method, where you figure out exactly which lens does what you want, and then you buy it, whatever the price. Then there is my way, which is to buy a whole heap of cheap lenses, adapters, filters hoods, lens caps bags and bodies, end up paying out even more money, and usually find that one lens or the other will do most of what you want most of the time. The advantage of my method is you get a lot of variety to work with, and can build up a complex set of overlapping systems. The advantage of the Frankie method is that you get a better lens.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  2. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

Hmm, that would work well for me, though the extra width of the 21mm is tempting. 25mm is a great landscape width on the full-frame film body, and that's also a really appealing field of view for an APSc camera. Sometimes my 23mm/1,4 feels just a bit too wide . . .

3. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd long learned to stick with the primary objective...in the OP's case MF and compact package size [including the adapter], as was mine.

I could tell you from experience that the flattest pancake is the Avenon 28/3.5 at 17mm, CV 21/4 and the 25/4 are both ~28mm...even flatter if you unscrew and disuse the [female] threaded hood. The M-Rokkor 28/2.8 is 35mm from flange, and the ZM 28/2.8 is slightly longer at 38mm. All lengths plus 10mm for the M-FX adapter...of course

Contax 28mm is 30mfrom flange...but the adapter is bigger with the focusing helical and always felt rough.

In all, my LM 28/2.8 is the best package overall...especially after I made a custom hood that screwed right into the lens.

4. specLegacy

specLegacy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lots of great suggestions here for vintage/legacy lenses. For these, the most compact combinations will come from Leica M or thread mount lenses or Olympus Pen-F lenses. A Speed Booster or Lens Turbo adapter will actually be a bit thinner than a straight-through adapter. I have a Lens Turbo II that I use with Olympus OM lenses.

The other thing I would suggest is to be open to some of the Chinese lenses popping up lately. I avoided them for a while thinking there was no way they'd be as good as the vintage lenses that had some 'pedigree,' but I was wrong. I started with a Meike 28/2.8, which is sharper at all apertures than my Canon FD 28/2.8. It's also barely an inch thick. Only downside is it has the barrel distortion typical of pancake lenses.

My favorite is the Wesley 24/1.8. I got mine on eBay, but it seems they ran out of the Fuji mount version. It has the same optics as the newer 7artisans 25/1.8, which looks like a rebranded Zonlai/Discover 25/1.8. Slightly longer physically longer than the Meike 28mm, but a bit wider angle and a little over a stop faster. Great bokeh, not much distortion. Just the extreme far corners are soft wide open, but they do sharpen up stopped down. The other 90-95% of the frame is sharper (wide open) than my OM 24/2.0, Hexanon 24/2.8, and OM35/2.0+LTII, which is impressive considering it's less than half the size of any of these other lenses (including adapter).

beakhammer likes this.
  5. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

One of my small lens obsession was related to using OVF...in case I'd consider an X-P2 with OVF. No point if a big lens that block a portion of the view.

I do know from experience that most M-mount lens blocks the Leica M VF...even a CV 35/1.4 [28mm from flange] barely clears the corner of the 85% coverage 35mm frame-line; hence giving rise to another obsession of finding/making dome-type hoods.

6. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

specLegacy - thanks, I have been reading up on the Zonlai/Wesley/Meike etc. lenses and it does look tempting. However I have seen some pictures of disassembled lenses and the wasnt even a helicoid..just two grooves where a screw was following the shape, thus focusing. Lot of trouble with one user of such lens.

I do find the Voigtlander options very tempting, since long time been looking at the 35mm and 25mm examples. Just the negative threads about corner smearing (which I learned is due to the light not hitting the sensor perpendicularly, micro lens orientation etc.). But still tempted to give it a try. If only there would be a chance to get my hands on one to try it out, even for an hour. I know you can rent lenses, but Im in the states for business trips. Tried to rent one, and was turned down because of delivery address was a hotel where I stay.

Frankie - is that the Elmarit 28mm that you have? I am bad with Leica lenses, never looked into it because of the price.

oh, BTW...thanks all for excellent suggestions. And pardon my English, not my native language, so if something seems unclear, just say so and I will try to explain better.

Danny

7. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

If size really matters, Fuji X70 or Ricoh GR. These 18mm APS-C cameras take excellent images and because they are fixed lenses the lens mounts can be specialized to the bodies. There is just not other 18mm lens that is that compact (to my knowledge). I know we love our X-bodies and all that interchangeable lens stuff, but I learned a long time ago with the Contax T3 film camera, for business travel when you are loaded to the max, these "specialized" optical/cameras keep you in the shooting and don't break your back. I don't have a 28mm lens for my X system yet, but I carry the GR for when I have to have it.

8. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

streetsntravel - thanks for the input. Yeah we love our X bodies with all that interchangable stuff :) I was playing with the X100F in best buy the other day and liked the package, but again its all AF...really looking for manual focus only.

Oh guys...if possible, post a pic of your "small setup" :) we all love pictures of gear...

9. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@Danny B...it is, see...: Please login to view links

10. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

ouch...the sigificant other half would not be happy about this :) 24mm Art, 135mm Art, 85mm Nikkor, Df body...that was only last year, and I am not even a Pro :D

This is the real reason I am looking for alternatives, in other case I would jump on the Leica wagon.

11. specLegacy

-Return to Top-

That might have been my post you saw, where I took apart the Wesley to tighten up the focus mechanism. It was well worth the effort, but I do like to tinker. I was ready to return the lens, but that adjustment made it my favorite of the bunch. I haven't opened the Meike, but it does feel better-built than the Wesley and Zonlai.

I can take some pictures tonight. Do you prefer seeing the lenses on an X-E2 or an X-Pro2?

12. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

@specLegacy - yes it was you :) I am a mechanical engineer by trade (cnc, plc, nc, programing,mechanical assembly, repairs, tinkerer, coffee boy..you name it :) ) but never disassembled a lens before. I can imagine its not difficult, but what worries me is dusty enviroment. Might give these 100 dollar lenses a try just for fun, I mean its not that terribly expensive.
    The pic if possible with the X-E2, comparable size to XT10/20. I appreciate that.

And must say, I have been active on other forums (photograpghy, audio, cars), but somehow the peple there try to convince you that only their ways is the right one and your a moron if you dont follow it :)
    It comes as a surprise, that here I see only constructive feedback and general willingness to help.

So again...thanks to all

Danny

13. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

I really enjoy using the focusing tab on rangefinder lenses. It really does make a difference to rapid focusing because it provides a physical marker that allows your motor memory to learn where exactly to go to focus at a given range. With an SLR-style focus ring there is no physical reference point other than the stops at either end of the helical's travel (and most of the Fuji-X lenses don't even provide that).

Danny B likes this.
  14. ruby.monkey

ruby.monkey Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Voigtlander 21mm f/4, 25mm f/4, and 28mm f/3.5 screw-mount lenses, would all give you a very compact set-up for little outlay (the 25mm f/4 Snapshot-Skopar especially is set up for scale focus on a film camera, so makes a great quick-reaction lens on any body). They're not the fastest lenses out there but they are sharp as anything and are pretty much free of distortion.

Having said that, it's hard to beat a small micro-4/3 body with Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 and/or 20mm f/1.7 when it comes to mixing compactness with performance. Even with my fat arse I can carry my E-PM2 with either of these lenses, comfortably in my jeans back pocket. I just have to remember not to sit down on it.

15. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

hahaha not to sit on it :) that was funny.

I have been looking up on the Pen F lenses. Anybody have first hand experience with them? Perhaps post some sample pictures from the 25mm lens? That one looks promising size wise and quality wise....Every time I search on google, it shows the digital Pen F :(

Just to be sure, not looking for the smallest package (micro 4/3 or such), because i could go straith to point and shoot and be done with it. Stil lwant that feel of real camera with interchangable lens, just smaller (had a Nikon 1 V2 before, didnt liked it a lot)

16. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a 20Mp m4/3 Pen-F mounted with the Zuiko 14~42mm pancake zoom...my quick point & shoot that took the portrait of the X-E1 with the LM 28/2.8 in Post 12...

17. Danny B

Danny B New Member

-Return to Top-

Frankie I was talking about the film era Pen F...specificaly the 25mm f4 lens

18. specLegacy

-Return to Top-

I had a Pen-F 38mm/1.8 (shown on my avatar). It's a good sharp lens, some swirly bokeh wide open. Great build quality, and very compact. Ended up selling it because I didn't use it that much after getting the Wesley, and had planned on replacing it with the Zonlai 35/1.8, but haven't picked one up yet.

Here are some images of the Wesley 24/1.8 on the X-E2:

DSCF8028 (Custom).JPG

DSCF8030 (Custom).JPG

DSCF8037 (Custom).JPG

Luis Costa likes this.
  19. specLegacy

-Return to Top-

Here's the X-E2 with the Meike 28/2.8 mounted:

DSCF8038 (Custom).JPG

DSCF8039 (Custom).JPG

DSCF8041 (Custom).JPG

Luis Costa likes this.
  20. specLegacy

-Return to Top-

And here's a couple with the Olympus OM 35/2.0 with Lens Turbo II, and the Hexanon 24/2.8. Out of the 35mm SLRs, Hexanon ARs have the shortest register, so the adapter ends up being thinnest. I use my Hexanons with an AR-Leica M adapter stacked on top of a Leica M-Fuji X Helicoid adapter for a bit of extra close focusing capability.

DSCF8043 (Custom).JPG

DSCF8044 (Custom).JPG

DSCF8045 (Custom).JPG

DSCF8046 (Custom).JPG