This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Sometimes forgotten X30

Discussion in 'Fuji's Small Sensor X Cameras' started by rokphish, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Mervington

Mervington Premium Member

-Return to Top-

2. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Probably won't, but that's not the only quirk I have against it.

I was in part thought about replacing it with either X70 or X100 recently, but probably won't. At least not right now. Like I said, the X30 is fighting its way recently... Ha!

3. Rosedalelad

Rosedalelad Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I sold my Sony RX100M3 as it was too small, fiddley and not robust enough. The zoom lens took quite a while to extend and it was very slow to retract. The pop up EVF was very effective but soooo fragile - I couldn't see that lasting long with my big hands. By comparison, the X30 is built like a tank and despite the mere 12MP the images are superb

4. Mervington

Mervington Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A perfectly fair critique! I agonised on whether to get the X30. I read more expert assessments and user reviews on the X30, Lumix LS100, and Sony RX100iii, than I care to remember. As with so many things, there are issues of compromise. I tried a Lumix, but it went back: whatever the claims about iq, it didn't do it for me. I then reconsidered the X30. I concluded the iq was very good within limitations. The build quality was fine without question, but I wasn't sure it would easily slip into my pocket. Remember, I wanted a camera that would fit in my pocket easily when I was just out and about, and not on a photographic expedition. In other words, something with me to catch that unexpected moment.

The RX100 may not have comparable build quality, but I'm not sure the pop-up evf is that fragile! I, too, have very large hands/fingers, but I have always - for 60 years - taken care of my cameras etc, and have never really damaged one. Will I have to be careful with some aspects of the Sony? Undoubtedly yes, but not to make my life a misery!

I was also fortunate to get a RX100iii new at around £100 less than the going rate: battered box etc. I've have taken about 300 images so far, some in the gloomiest of light. It hasn't let me down, and some images have surprised me iq-wise. Time will tell whether it was wise decision.

5. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

27 shots!

27 shots.jpg

Kirstybell likes this.
  6. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

asleep.jpg asleep

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  7. rokphish

rokphish Premium Member

-Return to Top-

sooc jpeg velvia

[​IMG]

8. morhafren

morhafren Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Not too many X30s about at the moment, Jonathan. I've restarted using the X20, though and am really enjoying it. Used prices sometimes higher than X-T1!

9. Rosedalelad

Rosedalelad Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

My X30 is just brilliant - small enough, light enough and good enough for me. I've just lugged my X-T2/18-55 around Pembroke and although the photos were superb, it is just so heavy to carry when walking - particularly in this hot weather.

10. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Know the feeling, X-E2 and 18-55mm were heavy enough in a hot Paris last weekend.
    To that end I just bought a Panasonic GX80 and 12-32 lens, would have liked to buy similar from Fuji, but need the ibis for my shaky hands