This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Sony A9 - I Caved

Discussion in 'Sony Mirrorless Discussion' started by johndizzo15, Jun 17, 2017.

1. johndizzo15

johndizzo15 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had initially preordered and then decided I should just wait for real world feedback. So hold my horses I did.

Then last week, I had a moment of weakness/boredom and decided to pull the trigger anyway. lol.

So far, I have been very impressed. Looks like there will be another A7R2 on the used market soon.[​IMG]

Activatedfx likes this.
  2. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I shot with one at a conference last week. Seem very well designed for sports/news shooters. Very fast and quiet. Feels solid. If they can bring out the appropriate lenses and professional service, Sony could end up being a serious competitor to CaNikon for some segments of the pro market.

3. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

I think they're already in a pretty good spot now with the glass they currently have. Where the deficiencies lie are on the telephoto end when needing fast primes.

As far as the body goes, it's the first Sony body I've used that has addressed mostly everything that I have had issues with previously. This thing is about as close as I've gotten to something that meets every one of my expectations. My only wishes for the next iteration at this point are in-cam processing like Fuji (since the new JPEG engine is stellar compared to previous bodies), and perhaps at 30-36mp sensor vs 24. I'm sure we will see them at some point in the future when sensors, processors, tech all catches up to make it possible. But until then, this is the most awesome sauce I've experienced across all brands to date.

4. Riz_X100

Riz_X100 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I ended up moving back to Sony after a short spell with the Fuji XT-2.
    The Sony A9 is a game changer!

johndizzo15 likes this.
  5. Bud James

Bud James Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That looks like a big honking lens.

The choices we have as photographers, hobbyists and pros alike, are awesome. Use the tool the suits you best and can afford comfortably.

Good luck with your new Sony.

Cheers,
    Bud James

Please login or register to view links

Xenon100F, jknights and johndizzo15 like this.
  6. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

I could never let go of my Fuji kit. It brings me too much joy and gives me variety. Also helps since I shoot with two rigs with primes fairly often.

You are right though, the a9 changes the game for many of us. It certainly has for me.

7. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

Agreed on both counts. Lol.

The 85 feels similar to the Canon version so it is definitely not compact or light.

We do have some amazing options as far as tools available today. Great times for us.

8. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Your GAS is epic. I salute you. :)

Sounds like the killer app for action. Happy Shooting!

johndizzo15 likes this.
  9. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

Lol. I gave up on fighting my urge to tinker a little bit ago. So I've been operating much more freely as of late in the acquisition game.

It is a great cam for action. But really, it has been great all around for me. I loved shooting electronic shutter on the fujis since the xt1 and x100s. The ES mode on the a9 takes it several steps forward. I don't think I even remember what the mechanical shutter sounds like at this point. Lol.

Some samples. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

pfogle and liggy like this.
  10. liggy

liggy GASaholic Camera Fondler

-Return to Top-

Whoa - all that with ES? Fast sensor indeed. Carry on!

johndizzo15 likes this.
  11. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

Yup. I think I might have about 25 to 50 MS actuations so far. Lol. I haven't had any ES captures that have exhibited rolling shutter or banding artifacts either so I'm happy to use it full-time.

12. jknights

jknights Moderator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I think there are no bad cameras around so essentially choose the one that fits your shooting needs best.
    If you are a great photographer you will produce great results it is just about how much easier it is in one camera than another for your type or style of work.

13. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

Absolutely agree on both counts.

Putting the spec sheet aside and strictly talking usage in the wild though, I really do hope the a9 is the beginning of the push of some of the capabilities of new bodies across the board/brands/models as it has been a joy to shoot while enabling me to do some things I wasn't able to before.

14. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For some reason, the Sony sub-forum posts don't show up on the front page news feed, so I've been missing them. Congrats on the A9!! Definitely more camera than I "need" right now, but I'm drooling. And that 85/1.4 GM. My dream lens. (Though I have to say my go-to Rokinon 85/1.4 is astounding, even if you don't figure in the ridiculously cheap $290 price tag.)

Anyway, in "solidarity", I just hit the Buy It Now button on a "like new" RX1Rii (only used for a 2 week vacay)! I've been going back and forth between getting an X100F and and RX1xx again. (I had one about a year ago but sold it to pay alimony.) I love the look and the "idea" of the X100F (and I loved my X100 LE and X100S), but I just can't go back to APS-C!! Can't do it. Plus, the soft/glowy "macro" performance of the X100 series always put me off a bit. The RX1Rii is sharp and crisp even at macro distances. I will post pics when I have 'em.

niggyl and johndizzo15 like this.
  15. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

Thank you! The A9 as well as most of my other stuff is way more than I would ever "need." But it's all so fun to tinker with. LOL

The 85 is nice. But I was always hesitant to buy much more of anything native when I was still using the A7R2 since I didn't know where the A series was going. With the A9, I'm now convinced. As such, I've picked up the GM 70-200 and the nifty fifty native. Everything is functioning beautifully.

Congrats on the rx1r2. I've almost pulled the trigger on one of those a few times myself but have held back since I felt like that amount of coin wasn't justified since I was already heavily invested in their ILCs. I've read a lot of great things about it but have never handled one. Looking forward to your post and thoughts.

A few more a9 samples [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    Activatedfx likes this.
  16. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You have to think of the RX1Rii as an A7Rii with a perfectly matched Zeiss 35/2 attached for the price of an A7Rii body only! (and quite a bit smaller) :)

17. johndizzo15

-Return to Top-

That's actually how I tried to justify it to myself for a long time. Lol.

But I figured, if I need small and convenient, I'll shoot fuji. If I need anything else, the a7r2 or now a9 will cover the rest. I still always found myself checking used prices though out of curiosity.