This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The camera seems to always default to fastest aperture.

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, and X-E2S' started by AARIK, Jun 18, 2017 at 10:15 PM.

1. Kimball Kinnison

Kimball Kinnison Active Member

-Return to Top-

I'd just get a simple dof calculator rather than a "do everything" app like photopills seems to be. Sometimes it's best to do things simple, that way you find the time. It's probably took you longer to write and answer these posts than it would to download and use a simple dof calculator.

2. FMW

FMW Member

-Return to Top-

Maybe. Using a higher fstop like f11 or f16 or f22 might bring the wall into acceptable focus with the dog's eyes in focus. The trade off is that it would require a slower shutter speed and, perhaps, one that is slower than you can hand hold. That would mean employing a tripod to deal with the slow shutter or flash unit to add light to the subject. Cameras can't process dynamic range as well as our eyes can so those kinds of shots are challenging.

3. beermad

beermad Member

-Return to Top-

Surely this shouldn't be necessary as the X-E2 at least (presumably the others too) has a DOF indicator?

Though I have to admit I'm so crap at judging what DOF I need that I take shots at four different apertures then choose the best shot on my computer. Of course, even that's a compromise, because the f5.6 shot might be sharpest at the spot the camera's focussed on, but out of focus at the edges, whereas the f11 shot might have better overall focus but worse motion blur. (The downside of buying the best camera I've ever had is that I've become far too self-critical).

And I suspect my system's quicker than using a calculator?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017 at 12:11 AM
  4. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There's no way of telling any camera you want "everything in focus" if you don't focus on the main suject! Really, that's where you need to start. At least try to focus and recompose. It's not recommended practice for the Fuji system, it's preferable to compose and move the focus point but at least the result closer to what you want.

5. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

Then don't use one, it's a choice. Personally I don't use one. It was just a suggestion for the OP. Just trying to help.

Have you ever tried the built in indicator! Needs a smiley face here :) as it's quite laughable!

6. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

Many Canon cameras, including DSLRs, have the A-DEP mode, where you can pretty much do just that. Tell it the furthest and nearest needs and let the camera pick the aperture.

Here's a link. My, old, Canon 20D had this feature.

What is A-DEP on a Canon camera, and how do I use it? :: Digital Photo Secrets

Not sure if they still use it but the function was certainly there a few years ago.

7. GregWard

GregWard Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think Dirk was referring to the fact that - in the picture OP posted - the focus was on the background. The functionality you describe, whilst interesting, still can't read minds. So the Photographer still needs to guide it.

Dirk Offringa likes this.
  8. Dirk Offringa

-Return to Top-

That was indeed my point. Furthermore, the OP insisted on needing point-and-shoot facility, and that choosing manual aperture was not an option. That Canon feature would even need more user interaction, if I understand well: setting manually both "furthest and nearest needs". I sincerely think it's a better method to just learn how the lens behaves by practicing a bit: choosing an aperture will then become a piece of cake. No DOF calculator apps needed, no fancy automatisms, just a bit of practice. Use Auto ISO, auto SS and use manual aperture and focus on the main subject. Otherwise, for some pics like these, maybe a small sensor camera with a wide angle lens would be a better choice than a APS-C or FF camera because of the huge DOF these small cameras have by design. Photography is also about using the right tool for the job and mastering it.

9. beermad

beermad Member

-Return to Top-

AHA! So the reason I can't judge whether the DOF is what I want isn't that I'm crap, it's because the indicator is crap! That makes a change.

10. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

I agree with everything here.

11. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

I agree. I had the 20D used the function just the once. I then switched to my usual aperture priority.

12. AARIK

AARIK Member

-Return to Top-

Interesting feature, Fuji should add it as i would certainly use it at times.

13. AARIK

AARIK Member

-Return to Top-

you're absolutely correct here, practice with my toy is what i need :)
    however an auto mind reading button would be nice during the transition.

14. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

I'd very much like an Auto Composition button. It would turn you around, until the most photogenic view was framed. Now I'm being silly!

15. Dirk Offringa

-Return to Top-

On the other hand, you could also hire a real photographer ;-)

Kimball Kinnison and AARIK like this.
  16. Kimball Kinnison

-Return to Top-

Sooner do it myself; there's no one better. Only my opinion of course, but it is the one I tend to rely on :)

Dirk Offringa likes this.