This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Godox X1T-F for Fuji arrives.

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by jknights, Jul 5, 2017.

1. RKail

RKail New Member

-Return to Top-

Can a camera-mounted TT350F get TTL with a second, off-camera TT350F? I would assume so but one chart showing compatibility (which I can't seem to find now) listed a variety of masters that would trigger the TT350F and a variety of slaves that could be triggered by the TT350F, but oneTT350F trigger another wasn't listed. I'm interested in this pairing because most of the time I just want on-camera flash for simple fills. But occasionally I'd like off camera TTL and it would seem simpler just to pull a second TT350F out of the bag instead of moving the on-camera TT350F off camera and triggering it with an XT1F. Thanks.

2. inkista

inkista Active Member

-Return to Top-

I would, as well.

That's probably because most folks wouldn't think of using another TT350 off-camera, due to its lower power output. Makes more sense to get a (cheaper) TT600 or (not cheaper, but bigger) TT685 to be the off-camera slave. The TT350 is designed to be an on-camera flash for mirrorless--hence the tiny size/weight, but also the resultant small power output.

If you're planning on using the flash off-camera all the time and you don't want any light coming from on-axis, then the XT1F scenario actually makes sense. If you're planning on using the flash on-camera all the time, then bouncing makes sense. If you just want some off-axis fill all the time, then possibly using a TTL cable between the flash and the hotshoe makes more sense.

Off-camera means spending time. TTL is for saving time. Time you've already had to spend dragging out and setting up the stand, swivel, light/trigger, and most likely a modifier as well. Saving a split second on setting the power level of the flash isn't really going to buy you much by that point and could lose you a whole lot in terms of shot-to-shot consistency. :)

jknights and RKail like this.
  3. papergum

papergum New Member

-Return to Top-

Hi there,

I am using the x-t2 and a TT350F. Now wondering, should I get an AD360II-N or an AD360II-C? Does it in fact, make a difference?

Thanks.

4. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My lighting gear is now ordered and due in within a couple of days, so this is only my understanding from reading and not from experience.

The Godox line of radio sync lights are compatible as long as the the trigger or master is is compatible with your camera. A Fuji TT350 should fire any Godox light within its native capacities. This should be applicable when the X1T-F become available as well. The key is to have a camera specific trigger/speedlites to control the other Godox lights.

I'd advise waiting for confirmation of my understanding before taking it a fact.

EB

5. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

Yup they are cross platform TTL with the latest fw update as long as you are using a native trigger for your system.
    Fuji X1T-F or TT350F can trigger C/N/S Godox flashes.
    They pretty much donkey punched Cactus who was promoting cross platform TTL this whole year!

6. inkista

inkista Active Member

-Return to Top-

If you shoot Canon or Nikon, it does. :) The difference is in the pin arrangement on the foot of the strobe head. You can, in fact, use an AD360II on-camera if you really really want to (almost nobody does). But the Canon/Nikon designation is basically for the pin layout and electronics to grok signals on those pins on the foot. Obviously, the two systems use different schemes. But the foot does allow you to also add on a TTL/HSS-capable trigger for the Canon/Nikon systems that's not from Godox if you want.

As a Fuji user, however, this just means that the AD360II can only be used over TTL/HSS over radio. Which is probably what you want, anyway. :) Just make sure that the firmware is up to v1.5 if you want -F trigger compatibility.

I really really hate to ask this, but would it not be better to get confirmation of your understanding before placing an order?

In a perfect world, yes. But at this point, there seems to be an issue with the manual-only flashes in the Godox line and a TT350-F as master not being able to do HSS. Not everything Godox makes is in their X triggering system, either, so you need to be careful which flashes you're getting if you want HSS.

No. As I just said, there are only a limited number of units that are performing HSS with a TT350-F as master: the AD600/AD600M models, AD360II, AD200, V860II, and TT685. The TT600, V850II, and the older AD360 (MkI)+XTR16 trigger combination are not performing HSS at the moment. And any other Godox models are probably not in the X system. The only other X-system lights are the QTII, QSII, SKII, and DPII lines of studio strobes.

Also, only TTL flashes can do TTL. Manual-only cannot. With both HSS and TTL, every part of the chain: the camera, the trigger, and the flash has to be able to perform the function, or else you won't have it. You must also make sure that your X-T2 is up-to-date on its firmware to have HSS capability.

We hope not. We hope by the time the X1T-F is released, they'll have fixed the HSS issue.

Yes. And to have the firmware on your camera body, triggers, and lights up to date.

trainer likes this.
  7. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Of course it would be better and that is why I discussed the capabilities of the unit with Julio, one of Adorama's lighting experts. I was given his name (and one other's) and extention by Adorama's online chat representative.

If anyone wants Adorama's lighting experts contact info, just post the request in this thread.

EB

8. mikegee

mikegee Premium Member

-Return to Top-

None at all. You will need to do firmware update on the AD360II for it to work TTL&HSS with TT350-F and X-T2.

9. Freelancer

Freelancer New Member

-Return to Top-

So will the AD360 mk 1 now be able to work in HSS mode with the XT-2 (I'm not worried about ttl) ?

(When using an X1R receiver )

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  10. kenbennett

kenbennett Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have put the AD360 on top of my camera. Seems silly at first glance, but I have an Orbis Ring Flash and the AD360 puts out a lot more light than my Canon speedlights. I have the first-gen, so I don't get TTL, but it doesn't really matter for what I need.

11. Richard_M

Richard_M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the X1T-F on order along with a TT350-F and AD200. I also have a few Nikon speedlights and Godox X1R-N receivers. Will the Nikon speedlights work okay in conjunction with the Godox Fuji triggers and Fuji bodies?

trainer likes this.
  12. inkista

inkista Active Member

-Return to Top-

This is just a guess, but I'd say no. Godox is probably relying on internal hardware in their own flashes to do the system switching, and they don't have access to the OEM hardware internals. The reason I say this is that the X1R-N/C receivers never got a firmware upgrade for Sony compatibility like the TTL Godox speedlights did. The X1T units do have USB ports and firmware upgrades, but I've never seen any for X1R units, and am not even sure if it's got a USB port to receive them.

I'd be happy to be wrong, since I have a Canon 580EXII.

If you need OEM TTL speedlights to work cross-system, the Cactus V6II is likely to be a better bet as a triggering system.

13. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

If you're lucky, TTL may work but HSS will not.
    TTL is pretty standard and non proprietary unless Fujifilm made it proprietary!

14. inkista

inkista Active Member

-Return to Top-

Uh... actually, TTL is ultra-proprietary and not at all standard. Put a Nikon flash on a Fuji hotshoe, and you won't get TTL. Or HSS. Or anything much beyond firing the flash. Firstly, because Nikon's flash pins (aside from sync) on the feet won't meet the contacts on a Fuji hotshoe, but also because the two systems use different signalling protocols.

The only non-proprietary signaling on a flash hotshoe is the sync/fire signal, which has to conform to ISO standards for flash hotshoes/feet--and even then it can vary greatly in voltage. Everything else is individual to the specific system.

Godox and Cactus's ability to perform true pulsed HSS seems relatively hacked--my wildass guess is that the hotshoe probably sends out pulsed duration signals of "fire-fire-fire-fire" and since the sync/fire signal is the one that's standard, just echoing that along to a manual-only flash will work for HSS, as long as the timing's good. This is also why MULTI mode with a master flash can work with non-MULTI capable slave flashes.

Doing tail sync is another hack--you just fire the flash a little early for sync (so the shutter's only open during the tail of the pulse), and as long as the timing's good and the power's high enough to have a long enough pulse, it should work.

Manual power control is another hack--you jigger with the duration of the firing pulse (or the "stop the pulse" signal--quench signal). Power = energy x time. But. This can also be system-specific. For example, I think in Nikon the quench pin signal is a pull-down, and in Canon it's a pull-up (i.e., whether the voltage goes high->low or low->high for the signal).

But TTL requires two-way communication between the flash and the camera. The camera/lens focus distance information, the metering and timing of the pre-flash, and then the setting of the flash power and the main pulse sync all come into play with TTL, and that's system-specific communication. TTL is probably the most complex feature in any radio flash triggering system, and the one least likely to work cross-system.

15. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

You're taking things out of context. We are discussing the Godox trigger and receiver here.
    If we're lucky, the receiver is generic aside from the pinouts to make it Canon, Nikon flashgun specific.
    Hopefully Godox thought far ahead to cross-platform compatibility and can interprete what the X1T-F is transmitting to any variant of the X1R.
    But without fw update to the receiver, chances are that it is unlikely!

16. Richard_M

Richard_M Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you both for your replies.

I will know soon enough once the Fuji triggers arrive. I guess I was under the assumption the receivers converted the speedlight control to Godox control system.

17. Lars Daniel

Lars Daniel Member

-Return to Top-

I got a pair of TT350F today. First thing I noticed was unfortunately a noticeable delay on the shutter, if the flash is on. (Using an X-T2.) It might be usable for most needs, but is is just an annoying feeling, when you are used to an instant response. I will be hoping for a firmware update.

18. elisha.jesudason

elisha.jesudason Member

-Return to Top-

Are you sure? No such issues on mine. I had that issue on the EF-42.
    Do you have Pre-AF on?

19. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No delay issue on my X100t or XP-2. A setting somewhere is probably askew.

EB

20. Lars Daniel

Lars Daniel Member

-Return to Top-

Update: The delay is when using a TT350F in Master mode (M). When it is in its "normal" mode, there is no delay.