This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The making of a boat ....

Discussion in 'General' started by Micky, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Kirstybell

Kirstybell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This is amazing, what a transformation!! So nice to see human skill creating something incredible.

Micky likes this.
  2. Nick.k

Nick.k Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very nice! I like the filler cap in the bollard a lot...I'll remember that one :)

Micky likes this.
  3. Sanemancured

Sanemancured Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I’d be more than happy living aboard her. Just need somewhere for the bike.

4. Sanemancured

-Return to Top-

A question Mick, being a wide beamed lady are there restrictions to where she can venture? She’s quite a home isn’t she, all she needs is a boiler and a steam reciprocating engine :)

5. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Andy has a 1200 GSA ... hopefully there will be a small platform at the rear and a winch to go with it ... watch this space ;)

For some locks he might have to remove the 'bike and 'fold' the platform up ... watch this space ;)

Edit ... In answer to your post above Peter ... there will be some canals/locks the boat will be too wide for, Andy knows this and has calculated his foreseeable use. It's all compromises ...

As per a previous post ... we're hoping to get through the Please login or register to view links under the Pennines before he sells his narrowboat :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Sanemancured likes this.
  6. Shadowside

Shadowside Good Glass is Forever...

-Return to Top-

One of my favorite books, along with those on or by Bernard Moitessier (sp). I lived aboard a 42' offshore ketch for 3 years and sailed all around Vancouver Island - I love this thread and have always found these river boats very charming.

Sanemancured and Micky like this.
  7. Stephen_B

Stephen_B Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@Micky , this photo series on the construction of the boat is truly amazing, as are the images of the finished and furnished boat. I'd love to learn more about the lifestyle of the folks that live in these boats, and how they deal with the day to day services along the way. Guess I'll roll up my sleeves and do some "Google-ing".......

Micky and Sanemancured like this.
  8. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Many thanks Stephen, so glad you find it of interest. Just to re-iterate, and for Kirstybell's post above., the photo's of the finished and furnished boat isn't my mates but one alongside his. Steve Ellis, doing the fitting out is a real craftsman and in demand, with boats waiting for him to get to work on :)

Here's a few photo's of Steve at work in his adjoining workshop, and a close up of his work ...

X-T2 with 16-55 WR
    [​IMG]

Cupboard doors being made ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Andy's boat hopefully in the water later this year ... so please look out for future updates ;)

9. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To continue ... doesn't look much different but a lot of work behind the scenes ...

Got the 'lugs' fitted on to the stern, where a fold up/removable platform will fit, plus the electric crane. Andy's 1200cc BMW GS-Adventure will be carried on this when away from base for some time.

X-T2 with 16-55 WR
    [​IMG]

More finishing off, sanding smooth, ready for the paint ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside some more finishing off ready for the fitting out. Electrics and central heating pipes to be fitted first though

[​IMG]

Taking shape nicely ... and starting to look like a boat ...

[​IMG]

Meanwhile Mike the Builder looks on ...
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile meanwhile Miss Milly waits patiently for the boats maiden voyage :)

[​IMG]

Watch this space .... more to come :)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  10. Sanemancured

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the update Mick. She’s going to be quite something. One up from the usual shed at the bottom of the garden :)

11. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

This .... ?

[​IMG]

The bow thruster motor will go in there ... you can just see the tube inside at the bottom, this exits port and starboard.

Or in the photograph of Miss Milly patiently waiting? :)

Or were you in your shed at the bottom of your garden ;)

12. Sanemancured

-Return to Top-

The she as in the vessel. Ships and boats are always female although in my time as a submariner the black tubes never earned that affection :rolleyes: Although Milly deserves more than a mention so can give her a tickle under her chin from me.

Micky likes this.
  13. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

While I was in Wunderbar Deutschland the boat was painted and lifted in to the water ...

Engine fitted, rudder and prop shaft and bow thruster ...

Bow thruster ... the 'tube' goes across port to starboard, the thruster sits in/on it, one large impeller inside the tube (rotation can be reversed)

[​IMG]

The motor ... sits on top.
    [​IMG]

Plenty of space around the engine ... but this will evaporate as work progresses to get everything shipshape o_O
    [​IMG]

Meanwhile ... looking good :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inside there's still lots to be done ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    CWRailman likes this.
  14. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Time moves on ....

The guy Steve that was going to fit out Andy's boat gave backword. It was a 'gentlemans agreement' between them both, but Steve wanted the space and had taken on the fitting out of eleven new boat builds. A contract he couldn't turn down ... so Andy's boat had to be moved. The boat is at Thorne, and Andy has his narrowboat sited in a lovely marine at Methley, near Leeds, some thirty miles away. There was a spare berth next to his, he could fit the boat out himself and/or call on a merry band of willing and capable helpers :)

The boat was got ready, a makeshift instrument console made up, the hydraulic steering connected ... it was going to be a long day ;)

[​IMG]

From Thorne to Methley (between Castleford and Leeds) is about thirty miles!

The boat, as yet unnamed, sat about three inches further out of the water than that desired, but she was up a few more inches at the front, so about a ton of ballast was moved from the rear up to the front to level her off. There's 11.5 tons of ballast below the floor of the boat, made up of old building bricks, the very old type. My house was made in 1905 of these same bricks, they're so dense and heavy ... you can't drill the blighters :(

The bricks were merely moved up to the front of the boat and sit on the floor for now. This is where the main bedroom is going to be and there will be a stainless steel water tank going in there, under the bed, that will weigh about the same as the bricks. Smart eh!

[​IMG]

Ready for sailing. We meet up at the boat 7am Sunday morning, this last Bank Holiday Weekend. Mike the builder comes with us part of the way to see how the boat handled. He has his mountain 'bike on board and will 'drop off' about fifteen miles from base.

Mike takes the helm out of Thorne ... with Andy supervising :cool:
    [​IMG]

Miss Millie is glad to be on board and sailing again ... she's a great river dog :)
    [​IMG]

Here you can see the hydraulic steering gear, with the ability to pop an old fashioned tiller in the square in case it goes wrong!
    [​IMG]
    The square box with handles lies directly over the propellor and comes above the water level. If the propeller gets fouled with rope or anything you can access the prop and sort it ;)

The engine is a Dutch Vetus 80hp four cylinder diesel ... (earlier photograph)
    [​IMG]

The pipe leading to the front of the prop shaft is for the water cooling of said propshaft ... when Andy put the boat in the water it wasn't connected and water came gushing in, good job it was sussed immediately. Merely holding the pipe up above the water level was sufficient to stop it :eek:

The boat leaves very little wash, virtually none ... Mike got his sums right, he's building another like Andy's for himself. His mountain 'bike on board ...
    [​IMG]

We go over one of several aqueducts ... how clever is that?
    [​IMG]

Andy checks his boat out ... the engine purrrrrs along
    [​IMG]

More coming ....

CWRailman likes this.
  15. Micky

Micky Premium Member

-Return to Top-

We stop off at Pollington for a coffee with Annie. A good friend, she lives in a little old lock keepers cottage right by the waters edge. She has a BMW F800GS like mine and she rides it mean, like she's stolen it ;)

[​IMG]

Some interesting views along our thirty mile, twelve hour journey ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Old bridge ... new bridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dunno what they feed the swans on around here :eek:
    [​IMG]

"Is my dinner ready yet dad?"
    [​IMG]

And so in to Lemonroyd Marina at Methley where Andy's good lady Jackie is pleased to see her new home home :)
    [​IMG]

As we sailed in to the marina there was much hooting of horns and waving :)

It had been a long day ... Miss Millie was always ready to jump ship and help me with the locks and swing bridges along the way ...
    [​IMG]

I must work on my Dynamic Range ... or learn to use Lightroom :rolleyes:

That's all for now folks ... plenty of work to do on the boat, but now it's 'home' where Andy can work on it with more convenience.

In fact in the last few days ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    Mike Gorman, Beaumont and CWRailman like this.
  16. Max Fstop

Max Fstop Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Love this 'series', keep them coming please :)