This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The Oculus in NYC

Discussion in 'Street-City-Architecture' started by Ron Stewart, May 17, 2018.

1. Ron Stewart

Ron Stewart Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Oculus is a combination subway station, transportation hub, shopping mall, and public space in lower Manhattan in New York City. To me, it's an inspirational piece of architecture.

From the outside, at a distance, it's interesting because it's so different. But it really gets fascinating when you get up close, and gets even more so when you go inside.

This is the favorite of my photos, because it's a distillation of the structure's essentials: sweeping curves, repeated ribs, and criss-crossed shadow and light.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

I'll post a few more in a reply. All were taken with my X100S.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. intheviewfinder

intheviewfinder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice shot, love the touch of natural light.

I too have been in there. For me, from the outside it looks like a bird taking off.

Ron Stewart likes this.
  3. Ron Stewart

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

trainer, mfk, Catz1973 and 5 others like this.
  4. DaveW19904

DaveW19904 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

very cool stuff! nice work!

Ron Stewart likes this.
  5. Price

Price Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very nice images and what a subject! My trip to Manhattan in 2016 was spent mostly in midtown Manhattan with a little excursion up to St. John the Divine and a Circle line tour. Proof that you can’t see NYC in mere days.

Ron Stewart likes this.
  6. Beaumont

Beaumont Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Great set of shots.
    The 100s produces again!!!

Ron Stewart likes this.
  7. Ron Stewart

-Return to Top-

I appreciate the comments.

intheviewfinder: I read that the building is meant to evoke the image of a dove in flight, so your interpretation matches that of the architect. I'm not sure what I got from the exterior from afar... maybe the crown of an alien version of the Statue of Liberty.

Price: my wife absolutely loves NYC, so we end up visiting every few years. The Oculus is a great subject, as is most of the city. Photographers who live in or near the city probably don't realize just how lucky they are. There is just so much to see there.

Beaumont: Yes, the X100S is a great little camera, so much so that it's hard to justify upgrading or switching. Lately I've found myself thinking of an interchangeable lens camera (like the X-E3) so I can use lenses longer than the 35mm TCL (and visiting the Fuji Wonder Shop, Adorama, and especially B&H didn't help), but it's really hard to justify. If I ever do get a new camera, I'll still hold onto my X100S.

Price likes this.
  8. Roger Rex

Roger Rex Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Harold Feinstein paraphrased: "Show something to the viewer in such a way that they feel they are seeing it for the first time." I am familiar with the subject on the site of the 911 Memorial. You would make Harold proud in that your compositions are beyond the standard look of a fascinating piece of architecture - very well done.

Ron Stewart likes this.
  9. Ron Stewart

-Return to Top-

Roger, that's by far the nicest thing anyone (who isn't my wife) has ever said about any photograph I've taken, and I sincerely appreciate your taking the time to say it. Thanks!