This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

The X-Pro2: A Worthy Successor?

Discussion in 'X-Pro2 and X-Pro1' started by adamjbonn, Sep 4, 2016.

1. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

Percentages is a skewy math on modern digital cameras...

Let’s say in 2012 Bill and Ben both went camera shopping

Bill got an X-Pro1 for £1300 and Ben got an M240 for £5500

Now it’s 2018 and they both fancy an upgrade, so they put their respective cameras on eBay

Shock horror, Bill has hemorrhaged a whopping 80% of what he paid for his Fuji, while Ben is sitting smug with a mere 50% drop...

But hang on a sec....

In real life, Bill’s dropped about a £1000 and Ben has dropped £2750

“You never lose money on a Leica” is something (and by ‘something’ I mean BS factoid) that someone says everytime the question ‘shall I buy a Fuji or a Leica’ comes up on any Leica forum...

Of course the real winners are whoever bought Bill and Ben’s eBay cameras :D

Old film stuff is a different proposition of course... and there’s some Rolex models from the 1960s that cost less than $1000 then and go for about $40,000 now... probably true of cars and all sorts of stuff

gyoung and rayvonn like this.
  2. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That's the reason, I've decided to get Leica instead. Haven't decided which 90mm yet. I'm looking also at Meyer-Optik Gorlitz, they are making for Fuji, too.

adamjbonn likes this.
  3. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

One of the reasons I’m moving the XP2 on now is that I won’t have lost too much on it at this stage - I bought it refurbished during a discounted sale, I’ve had plenty of use from it, but it still looks brand new and it’s still a current model so will sell for close to what I paid. When flipping cameras I like to think of it rental terms - if I’d hired the thing for six months it would have cost me something astronomical I’m sure. On a per picture basis it’s been peanuts.

Give it another six months and the XT3 will be here with a new sensor etc, rumours of an XP3 will be swirling, and new XP2’s will be dropping in price, and suddenly owning the XP2 will have cost me a fair bit more.

In the meantime, the XP1 price has long since plateaued to a point where it barely matters!

adamjbonn likes this.
  4. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Sometimes fancied a Pro1, but the lack of an adjustable diopter is a big negative as is no remote jack.
    Yes I know I can get a new eyepiece and a mechanical release, but my desire for the camera isn't that strong.

Got my original X-E1, also more than happy with the Pro2 and no intention of selling or buying anything newer.
    Does all I want and probably a lot more plus my standalone LR6 sees the RAW files, a big plus point.

The flexibility the extra mp's give comes in very handy, dual cards is great for back up and the wi-fi remote is handy too.
    As is said, what's not to like and even better now I have had the too easily detached eyepiece repaired/replaced with a new unit f.o.c.

adamjbonn likes this.
  5. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Values are totally different as soon as you introduce electronics of course. The M3 does as well after 50 years as it ever did because its possible to repair it almost indefinitely, but I wouldn't expect an M7 to last that long, and the R4 I had was unreliable after less than 10 years.
    An expensive mechanical camera (or lens) is good value of you save up for it because it will last, a beautifully made electronic camera (eg M9) is a luxury which I cannot afford as its going to be an expensive paper weight as soon as some now obsolete component worth 10 cents gives up. My oldest digital camera is a six yr old Nikon D7000 and it works perfectly (as does my 23 yr old F90) , if the D7000 or my Xpro2 last 10 yrs they will have cost me only the cost of a few rolls of film per year.

Gerry

adamjbonn likes this.
  6. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I gamble a bit with the Fuji gear. Albeit it was not working, I was impressed with the XP1 and its lenses. I thought Fuji's recipe, their approach towards building a System looked very promising indeed. So I got their first working camera, the XT1, along with all the primes they had at the time, hoping of course, there would be an XP2, which I then preordered the very moment it was possible. I figured, I could get this camera and with a wee bit of luck it would be the only digital camera I'd need. If it lasts for 15 or even 10 years I will never need another camera again, because it does everything I usually do and it even does the few things I'd otherwise need an SLR for and in 15 years I'll be blind or dead or both and won't have use for another camera. Even if it only lasts for 10 years I'll just go back to shooting only film or resort to shooting with the tely. However, if it decides to retire sooner I'd have been better off to put my money on an M10.

7. AdrianG

AdrianG Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Shooting film costs close to nothing. Unbeatable with digital, considering everything.

8. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

I thought you had already?

9. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

Plenty of truth in that Gerry, some of the M8s are still going strong and the M9 has it's 10th anniversary next year, but for sure no camera relying on electronics can last for ever, we'll just have to see how it goes...

10. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Last time I looked a toll of Provia plus processing cost over £20.... hardly next to nothing! Fortunately I have 30 rolls on the freezer including some Astia and Velvia.

Gerry

11. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

Goodness me, Sunday already... I haven't stopped this week!

Images Compared: A Bit of Fun with the X-Pro1 and X-Pro2

Two X-Pro cameras, one lens, one image editor, and light so scary, tough and hard, that I wanted to hide my cash in my sock :)

But just how different did the images turn out?

Please login or register to view links

Threaded likes this.
  12. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Big differences in the first image of the house, in the shadows particularly. The others are more subtle; I tend to see differences in the greens most often, but I feel the XP2 also has an issue with red - whether it’s he AWB or something else I don’t know, but neutral tones like greys can tend toward the magenta and similar things happen with skintones.

Your fifth pair of images is an example of this - on the left there is what appears in the XP1 to be grey rendering on the building, but to my eye the XP2 turns this just a touch more salmon.

13. Sapphie

Sapphie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

LOL, Adam - have you ever thought about a similar series comparing original X100 to other X100 cameras?

I think we'd be coming to similar conclusions ...

Lee

adamjbonn and Kirstybell like this.
  14. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

I don’t own either of them, so no!

You laugh but these xp v xp ones are so much popular than say the, “here’s a beautiful Portuguese canal town that most you will probably never see” articles

15. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

In the other thread see how much of that goes away when I hack an xp2 raf to make the raw software think it’s from an xp1 (not all of it, but a lot of it)

16. Threaded

Threaded Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I know, it's fixable in post, which I guess just proves it's all about the in camera processing rather than the sensor. But for jpegs that still adds up to a bit of magic in the camera that isn't there in the XP2.

I notice in most of your comparisons you shoot in Astia on both, which I think is a bit of a leveller - the XP1 gets more punchy and contrasty in that sim, while the 2 just modifies its palette a bit, being contrasty in most sims anyway. Have you ever managed to match the much more subtle XP1 Provia in the 2? I positively like the XP1 version of Provia, but haven't been keen on any of the later versions of it.

I think you might see more difference in indoors/softer lighting too, if or when you get the time to experiment.

17. adamjbonn

adamjbonn adambonn.com

-Return to Top-

I like astia with the xp2 i sometimes use my own sim (which is a silkypix one with heavy mods)

The thing for me is just how much the xp2 look changes simply by telling the software it’s an xp1, shows how much of it is down to info in the raf that the raw converter acts upon.

I might try again for you with provia, it’s finding the light... the light’s nice right now, but I’m in my dressing gown! Today I need to visit my printer and get the work for my show sorted out, by then the light will be binary again

Being a SOOC guy, there’s not so much you can do really.

I think ultimately...

4 musicians are all massive Led Zep fans.

They start a band.

What do they decide to do?

Be a Led Zep covers band or identify what it is about Led Zep they love so much and try and incorporate that into their own style

Going out with two cameras, shooting raw and coming home to try and harmonise the files isn’t beyond limits of humanity.

Making one camera always look like how another would in the same circumstances is a trickier proposition