This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Thinking of changing over...

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Chadders, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Chadders

Chadders Member

-Return to Top-

Hello; I've just discovered this forum, so I've joined in the hope of getting some insights from Fuji users, and generally learning more about the capabilities of Fuji cameras.

I'm currently using a few Canon cameras, the main one being a 5D3 and a number of their L series lenses. I have no intention of coughing up for the new 5D4. The main reason is that I'm finding lugging all that heavy stuff around, when hill-walking and travelling, becoming tiresome (and I reach my 3 score and ten in a couple of months). So much so, that a couple of years back I bought a Canon G16. It's a lovely little camera with lots of nice features, but it is limiting. So it set me thinking that I might be in the market to finally trade in the 5D3 for something lighter, but still as capable, that I can take out when on foot, rather than needing the car to transport it.

I've always admired the look and feel of the X series and the X-T2 has certainly got my interest.

I'd be interested to hear from anybody else who has gone through this process and what their thoughts and experience of switching systems has been.

Cheers.

DaveW19904 likes this.
  2. pandoraefretum

pandoraefretum Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I went from Nikon DSLR and an outstanding collection of pro-lenses to X-Series.
    Years ago !!
    There's the plus and the minus... focus speed being my main loss.
    But final results were great so I learnt to make the most out of what I had...

Meanwhile Fujifilm's mirrorless improved rapidly, and my flagship, X-Pro 2 is my all time favorite camera
    The viewfinder is not in the same league as the XT1 / X-T2 and focus is still not as fast as a DSLR.
    But I am used to it, and love it, and will be one of the first to buy an X Pro 3 when the day comes

I lost a fair bit of money changing system, but do not regret my decision.
    At the time micro 4/3 rds were lagging far behind in high ISO performance,
    but if I were switching to mirrorless today I would also consider the Olympus Mirrorless and Zuiko lenses

Good luck to you ; you need to take this step carefully

Chadders likes this.
  3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric

-Return to Top-

Welcome. This forum has 56,000 members and the vast majority have come to Fuji from other brands, many for the same reasons you are thinking about.
    The best thing you can do is spend time using the forum search function or simply browsing threads. You will find the answers you are looking for posted hundreds if not thousands of times already.

Chadders likes this.
  4. pandoraefretum

pandoraefretum Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@Chadders : Is that a Lancaster bomber behind you?

Chadders likes this.
  5. Adam Hafner

Adam Hafner Member

-Return to Top-

I had a 5d3 for about 10 months a couple of years ago. Absolutely incredible machine and I really miss it the images from that camera always seemed special. But, I sold it after the second trip we took with it because I never really felt like lugging it around and the few times I did take it out it felt like a dead weight around my shoulder. That whole process really dampened my interest in photography for a while. Then I went to Europe last year and took my old Nikon D3100 and really enjoyed shooting again. So, I weighed all the options and just picked up an X-T20 last month and am really loving it. Heading to Utah next month for hikes/climbs in the canyonlands and cannot wait to only have this little camera kit with me. I really wanted to go with a Nikon D7200 and the 16-80 f2.8-4 but decided to take the wife with me one time to look at them and once she picked up the D7200, she was just put off with the weight. Once she picked up the Fuji, it was "oh, this is cool".

The thing I love about the Fuji system is that there really isnt a BAD lens in the bunch. And the pricing is pretty reasonable. Sure CaNikon have some real gems at low price points, but for the most part you would have to spend 2-3x as much for the same quality lenses in those systems. I currently have the 12mm Rokinon for UWA/Astrophotography and the 18-55 2.8-4. Im probably going to look at the 23mm f/2 or a 55-200 next and if I bought both, i would still have less than $3k in my entire fuji kit.

The Fujis have their limits and their quirks as well, but for the most part, it is a dream to shoot. There is a thread that I just posted to regarding the differences between the X-T2 and X-T20 that will give you some more insight as to what the differences are between the two. The real summary of it is that you should probably find a local dealer and go in and handle the various models to see which you like best.

mnhoj and Chadders like this.
  6. Chadders

Chadders Member

-Return to Top-

Yes it is. It's NX611 'Just Jane' at East Kirby.

7. Chadders

Chadders Member

-Return to Top-

Many thanks for the insights Adam. I'll have a look for the thread you mention and have a good read.

8. Adam Hafner

Adam Hafner Member

-Return to Top-

Here it is. I got so far into my last post, i didnt want to lose it trying to find the link:
    Please login or register to view links

9. Adam Hafner

Adam Hafner Member

-Return to Top-

I also highly reccomend the Peak Designs leash and cuff system for a strap/teather/wrist strap. They work incredibly well with my Mindshift pack as a tether system to stay out of the way when hiking and travelling.

10. Chadders

Chadders Member

-Return to Top-

I suppose that's one of the main consideration in making the jump. I'm expecting to take a hefty whack in selling my existing system, but I guess it's better to do that and finish up with something that gets used rather than keep something that only seems to get used when I'm off on a day trip in the car to some location.

Years ago I owned an OM-1 and a few Zuiko lenses, so I am aware of the pedigree of Olympus...but the X series is more tempting.

11. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I also had a Canon G series camera many years ago. It was actually a G7. The Fuji is everything you wanted the G16 to be and more. I purchased an X-T1 and couldn't be happier. I was a solid Pentax K-3 user and ended up selling ALL of my gear for the Fuji.

Chadders likes this.
  12. bobjar

bobjar Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I purchased an X-Pro1 several years ago, loved it except for slow the AF, later added an X-T1 for better performance. All the while I had a D2X and D7100 which were pared to a D7200.

About a year ago I was offered an opportunity to shoot a wedding (no interest in doing so but offer was impossible to refuse, another long story) so TTL and a medium zoom became necessary. My primary interests are grandkids and I shoot the local Rugby Club's games - gratis for fun and unfettered access to the pitch. I quickly realized that Fuji was simply not intended for sports and the ever increasing speed of toddlers, at least for my capabilities. So, I sold the X-T1 (did not like the ergonomics or button operation - too small for what I was used to) to fund the a 24-70 zoom which has become welded to the D7200 except for rugby and an 80-2oo f/2.8.

Additionally I had a horrible experience with flash on the X-Pro1 - Fuji, the small flash - ate batteries, worked half the time, and having to "bump it" periodically to make sure it was connected to the camera simply does not work. My SB600 has never missed a beat - so flash/wedding/interior fast kids dictated Nikon. Weight be damned.

Now, all that said, I occasionally look at the X-Pro1 images - OMG they are sweet! Nikon's are good too but there is a (imagined?) quality to the Fuji images I cannot replicated with the D7200, and I have tried. I still have 2 X-Pro1s and three primes (14, 23, 35) which I use on occasion - the love continues, I am now considering an X-Pro2. This is strictly a non-rational, emotional move. Sometimes I cannot help myself and until I experience an X-Pro2's performance, I will always have the itch.

Why? Aside from obvious weight issues (I'm 72 and the D7200 kit gets very heavy quickly) I think the best description I've read (do not recall the source) is "shooting the Nikon is like going to work: consistent, no fuss, great performance; shooting the Fuji I become part of the experience: plan, visualize, manually twiddle with settings etc. A much more fulfilling and satisfying experience.

That is my story - suggest you also look at Adam Bonn's blog - he also has several excellent threads on this site.

Anyway, hope this helps

Bob

Chadders likes this.
  13. DaveW19904

DaveW19904 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had the Canon 5D2 and assorted stuff that equaled 26 pounds (I'm no pack mule!) and migrated to Olympus OMD, then to my Fuji X100s and landed on that, forsaking all others. My buddy, also a 5D2 and full kit guy, saw my migration and tried out the XT1 for a weekend. Dumped his 5d2 the next week. He shoots JPG only now, which he swore no "real photographer" would ever do.

Have fun with the new gear, and actually having it with you!

Chadders likes this.
  14. Chadders

Chadders Member

-Return to Top-

You make some fair points there Bob. I love my 5D3, but taking it out on a hike or onto an aircraft for a foreign trip is becoming a major decision due to advancing years and weight considerations. Also the appeal of twiddling with the knobs harks back to my early days of photography. Must be a nostalgia thing going on.

fugu82 likes this.
  15. Asmguy

Asmguy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Welcome to the club, ex Canon shooter here who switched a few years back and my shoulders have thanked me ever since.

Chadders likes this.
  16. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I did not switch systems but use them all for their unique abilities.

I use a Canon G15 as a vacation camera or when I need to travel with a light photo load.

I use Fuji mirrorless bodies with fast prime lenses when I need to shoot under low-light conditions without flash, when I need to shoot quietly, and when I need to shoot video (my dSLR does not do video).

I use Nikon dSLRs when I need faster auto focus, more precise auto focus, a wider variety of lenses, and when I need to shoot with flash.

All three produce images with high quality.

bobjar likes this.
  17. tegel

tegel New Member

-Return to Top-

I'm also new to Fuji (X-T1) and new to this site. I'm coming over from Nikon, but not yet ready to completely switch. I've been aware of what the Fuji system offers for some time and with the recent X-T1 price drop (-500 US), it seemed like a good time to dive in. I plan on using it primarily as a travel camera and as a backup to my DSLR for photographic pursuits. So far I'm really enjoying the Fuji experience! I only have the 18-55, but the results are excellent and it has been fun to use (I like when a new camera doesn't require reading the manual). I typically shoot MF Nikkor primes, so I doubt oft-mentioned the AF performance should not be much of an issue for me. When I really need AF performance (wildlife, action), I will continue to rely on the Nikon. Good luck in your search!

Chadders likes this.
  18. Chadders

Chadders Member

-Return to Top-

When thinking about selling my existing, gear several people have recommended MPB.com to me. Has anybody had dealings with them, or similar, in the UK?

19. Pedro1948

Pedro1948 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Hi Chadders, welcome to Fuji and this friendly forum. Glad to be able to help out with your question here. Yes, I have had very many dealings with them, both for buying and selling. They are very fair, and a good firm to deal with. Hope this helps, best of luck. Also, don't forget the Fuji refurbished site too, although not much on there these days.

Cheers, Peter

Chadders likes this.
  20. Pedro1948

Pedro1948 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Forgot to mention just now. Also recognised the Lancaster too. My father in law was a wireless operator on one. Such an iconic plane!

Chadders likes this.