This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Thoughts & Recommendations on Nikkor 85...Any of Them?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by ScottyMac, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ScottyMac

ScottyMac Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I've been kicking around the idea of getting an XF90, but depending upon the sale or lack therein, have thought of one of the Nikkor 85 lens. Under consideration...the older Nikkor 85/2 MF, Nikkor 85/1.4 MF, and a couple of the AF lenses (Obviously MF on Fuji) such as the 85/1.8 and 85/1.4.

There's quite a price range within these 4, but price aside, does anyone have experience with any of these used as an adapted lens with Fuji X? Sharpness...strengths...weaknesses, etc.

Thanks for any replies.

2. jrscls

jrscls Member

-Return to Top-

I had the Nikon 85 f1.8 G and for my D750 which is now sold. I now have the Fuji 56 and 90, which are both better than the Nikon. The 90 is the best optically.

ScottyMac likes this.
  3. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Every now and again a camera manufacturer makes a 'special lens' a halo lens, the holy grail lens, the Fuji 90mm is one of those lenses, its not just all its wonderful optical properties but it has a superb colour rendition. By all means invest in a Nikon 85mm, but you'll always be wondering about the Fuji 90mm.

I wrote a short blog piece on it - Please login or register to view links

ScottyMac likes this.
  4. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have an 85/1.8 AF, which is reputedly less sharp at large apertures than the G version mentioned above, so logically would be even less 'good' than the Fuji 90. Mine is also less sharp than my Leica Elmarit 90/2.8 and Voigtlander Heliar 75/2.5 until well stopped down (at least 5.6) and these two are much smaller and lighter so the Nikkor is my third choice for use on Fuji.
    For the MF 85s you would best check other resources, google nikon lens tests for info, but I would say that in general terms the Nikon 105/2.5 seems better regarded than any of the 85s.

Gerry

ScottyMac likes this.
  5. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a number of prime Nikon lenses that I can adapt for use on my Fuji X body.

The 85mm f/1.8 (image H) is the oldest Nikkor lens that I still own. I purchased it in the 1970s and later had Nikon convert it to an AI lens. It is very well built and produces great images. Today, they sell for a very low price on the used market.

The 85mm f/1.4 (image G) is an auto focus Nikkor lens. On an auto focus body, this lens is hard to beat. Today, this lens still sells for a high price on the used market.

Either of my Nikon 85mm lenses will work well when adapted for use on a Fuji X body. However, I prefer to use them on a Nikon body.

I have never tried the 90mm f/2 Fuji because I have a 90mm f/2 Leitz that I could use but have never needed to because on my Fuji X body, my first choice in the 85-90mm focal length range is the 50-140mm f/2.8 Fuji zoom.

Please login or register to view links

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

ScottyMac likes this.
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Well, an XF90 is around $950 and a "special" lens to be sure. A classic lens like the Nikkor 85/1.8 (the Blowup lens) runs you about $200 - $250 in mint condition. I use a 40 year old Nikkor-O 35/2 and I would say that it is not that far off from the Fuji XF 35/2 IQ wise and it was a quarter the price. As long as you don't mind MF I think an argument can be made for an older lens being a decent alternative for the Fuji native lens.

Then you have a lens like the Nikkor 105/2.5 which is absolutely fantastic and IMHO better than the 85.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Seamus3900 and ScottyMac like this.
  7. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

TL;DR - I really rate the Nikon AIs 85 f2.

My personal faves would be Nikkor 105 (f1.8, or f2.5 - both great lenses) then probably 85 f2. I haven't tried the 85/1.8 in decades, and passed on a reasonable 85/1.4 as I got a Canon 85/1.2 instead - twice the price but in another league.

If you've got $1000 and like AF - Fuji 90. For MF - Canon 85/1.2. If you don't have that sort of money, there are many great lenses around 85/90mm that will do the job, and then some. Also look at Zeiss/Contax and maybe even Tamron SP 90mm macro...also the Rokinon 85/1.4 is very good.

ScottyMac likes this.
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

As I recall both Minolta and Konica also made really nice 85's. Personally, I'd go with the Nikon 105/2.5.

pfogle and ScottyMac like this.
  9. ScottyMac

-Return to Top-

Great replies...all of them...thank you. All good and helpful information. The native 90 is certainly calling my name, but not sure I want to pay out for that much right now. My longest native lens is the 50/2, so I think jumping to a 105 might be more that I want. I've owned 105 ai lenses in the past when I shot Nikon film...great lens. I've never used a Nikkor 85/2 before...tempting to save money. I guess we'll see what Fuji does with the alleged upcoming sale.

Arbib likes this.
  10. Primes4ever

Primes4ever Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

As stated above, the 90 f2 is an exceptional lens. I have a whole stable of primes and consider it the best of a great lot. There are great adapted lenses but I prefer the native lenses. If you do get the 90, you will not be disappointed.

The 90 is a great focal length (135 FOV) which i have used for decades. In fact the only adapted lens I use regularly is my old Pentax 135 which gives me a nice 200 FOV.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 3:04 AM
  11. ScottyMac

-Return to Top-

David...nice article, but you're making me want the 90. You mentioned sharper lenses in your XF arsenal...which would that be?

12. Mr Perceptive

Mr Perceptive Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My XF23mm F1.4 is sharper than my 90, and I think you'd have to put the XF16mm above too. That certainly doesn't stop the 90 from being a great lens (and its still sharp!!) Some more of y 90 shots here Please login or register to view links

Hope that helps.

13. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

It's also worth to think outside the box - is the 'sharpest' lens really what you're looking for? That depends on what you want to use it for. For portraits, there's a whole world of interesting characteristics to explore - some of which are thrift-shop material. I got a great Meyer Optik Pentacon 135mm f2.8 for $40.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 7:28 AM
  14. ScottyMac

-Return to Top-

True...I've got some of those older lenses...Takumar 50, 85, and 100, which have great rendering in portraiture. The 100 is a macro, and its not bad. But portraiture is not typically what I shoot...maybe 5% only. So I'm looking for something in the 85mm range that will provide good contrast, sharpness, etc. We're planning a trip overseas and I want to be able to get various subjects without getting too close. Other primes are 16, 32, and 50.

15. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@ScottyMac

If I were in your position, I would get the 90mm Fujinon.

Other lenses I would seriously consider are:

85mm f/1.8 Nikkor

85mm f/1.4 Zeiss

85mm f/1.4 Rokinon

75-150mm f/3.5 Nikon

16. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ah, but which Nikkor 85 1.8, there are six listed, of at least 3 different optical designs. So not too helpful...

Gerry

17. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I cannot speak for all the versions of the 85mm f/1.8 Nikkor. I can only vouch for the version I own -- the third version as seen on the left in the image below.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

18. Arbib

Arbib X Man, but Film Friendly

-Return to Top-

I also would suggest the Nikon 105mm f/2.5 (400xxx and up -- Late N/Ai and Ai) because it is a very sharp lens, even at f/2.5 it is sharp, and gets better a few stops lower.
    At least mine does! (S# 420882) the S# above is where the design changed from a Sonnar design to a Gauss design which produces sharper results, even at f/2.5.
    The early Gauss types have f/32, and a metal focusing ring. (N/Ai and some Ai)
    And better corrects optical abrasions that the Sonnar design can't.

(of course that's why we like "Sonnar" designs... for the lack of some corrections that give us a different character at the expense of some sharpness wide open)

20171012_195915.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 1:02 AM
  19. ScottyMac

-Return to Top-

Should I assume that the later 105 with the retractable shade is also among the sharpest?

20. gyoung

gyoung Premium Member

-Return to Top-

For info on Nikon lenses see:
    Not up to date but good for older designs, and

Gerry