This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

TTL/Manual flash issues

Discussion in 'Fuji X Flash and Artificial Lighting (LED, etc.)' started by trivial, Feb 12, 2018.

1. trivial

trivial New Member

-Return to Top-

I am shooting with an XT-2. My trigger is a Godox x-pro fuji, and I am using godox speed lights and an AD200.

Here is the issue. While shooting in aperture priority (shutter speed auto), the camera will not let me set the flash to Manual... it will immediately go to TTL. I don't want TTL, I never use TTL. I don't really don't want to go back to using my Godox xt-32c (Canon trigger) with tape over all but the center pin... but at least it worked!

By the way, I also have the XT1-F trigger and it has the same issue.

Suggestions?

2. Benjamin Kanarek

Benjamin Kanarek Premium Member

Born in Toronto, Canada based in Paris, France

-Return to Top-

Just dd a shoot for ELLE magazine using just 1 Godox TT685 and a shoot through $6 umbrella using a Godox X-1T trigger. I set my camera to a manual shutter speed to allow ambient light to my liking and used TTL for the model using only compensation values in TTL, i.e; + 0.3 or -0.7 or whatever and it worked perfectly. When in shutter priority it also works. Just go to the menu of the ca the X-T2 and switch to manual flash mode "et voila"!

3. trivial

trivial New Member

-Return to Top-

Well, that's the issue... when I go to the menu of the XT-2 and switch it to manual flash... it immediately switches to TTL.

4. trivial

trivial New Member

-Return to Top-

I should also note that the trigger and the flash are both set to manual operation.

5. ebruder

ebruder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Very odd. I just tested this using my XPro-2. The flash sync in the camera does show TTL, but the Godox trigger remains on manual as I was certain as I've used it like this many times.

EB

6. inkista

inkista Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Use M on the trigger, not the camera menus. A lot of non-Canon systems have their M power levels "faked" by using TTL adjustments. Just because the camera or flash says the flash is in TTL doesn't mean you're not using M power levels. :) Just use the XPro-F in M, and see if it does what you think it should do. If it doesn't, then you have a problem. But the trigger/menu communication will not be identical to using Fuji gear. The only system I know of where the cameras and OEM flashes will correctly indicate TTL/HSS and full two-way menu communication happens is Canon, which leads me to suspect Canon's flash menu communication protocol is what was reverse-engineered when creating the system.

Nikon speedlights also have to be in TTL on Phottix Odins to have M power level control. When I use a TT350-O to master my TT600 and TT685 M power levels, my GX7's flash control menu shows the flash is set to TTL and the menu selection is greyed out and cannot be changed. It's non-intuitive, but that's actually the way a lot of these radio TTL systems work.

trainer likes this.
  7. AllanVit

AllanVit New Member

-Return to Top-

I experienced the same problem using an XT-2 with Godox XPro-F trigger and a Godox TT685F. The XT-2 would only show TTL in the menu, no matter what was selected on the trigger.

Playing around with it I mounted the TT685 on the camera hot shoe, and to my surprise the flash and the camera showed the correct same setting (TTL or Manuel), whether I changed it in camera or on the flash.