This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Turns out I'm an idiot (Fuji 27mm)

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by xkristian, Jun 13, 2018.

1. xkristian

xkristian New Member

-Return to Top-

So, this is all that's left of my pancake lens. Something was wrong... I tried to fix it...now it looks like this.

It's been sitting like this for over a year...Fuji in New York wanted almost the cost of a new one to fix it, so I come to the users here.

What are my options? Is this garbage? If a user here in the US wants it and can fix it... I'd be willing to sell it for the cost of shipping (if that makes sense.)

looking forward to the collective thoughts and yes, I'm already embarrassed and ashamed :)

thesibby.jpg

2. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Send it to me, I'll see what I can do. If I can get it working, just pay shipping.

3. xkristian

xkristian New Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for the quick reply Robert. Can I PM you for details?

4. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Sure!

5. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You are not an idiot, nor are you alone in this. Lenses, due to repair costs are almost toss-away items now. (Like electronics)
    I guess it's the [repair / new purchase] cost ratio that makes them almost toss-aways ?
    I have similar Hexanon 40mm and Fuji 27mm stories .... but not to bore you, we'll move along.

6. Jim D

Jim D Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had a 27mm failure over a yr ago , sent the xe1 into error mode of some sort . These seem to have a focus drive motor failure issue as it turned out to be the problem and I have spoken with more than one other here sharing the same symptoms. It costed around 170$ for the Fuji NJ repair .It's been perfect since . Good luck

7. kevistopheles

kevistopheles Analog

-Return to Top-

Yep, I expect a number of us have been down that road. I have a story involving an Olympus Pen F 38...and then there was that OM 50/1.8. :eek:

8. xkristian

xkristian New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you for the kind words, haha! The justification of these things become "toss-aways" is sad, but seemingly true in this case.

I think my antics with the lens after what sounds like the exact sames issue (with my Xt-1) are what caused the price to approach $400 US. Sad.

This makes me feel not alone.

Thank you guys for the replies! I may end up buying another pancake lens and selling the X100F... I bought it on a whim for the cool factor but don't shoot under the right conditions often enough to be impressed by the increased MP count. (Unless I'm missing the boat.)

9. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It could look much worse : )
    Looks like you are missing few screws and black inner cylinder that secures contacts in mount ring. However I don't see the opposite lens side and can't say more.

XF 27mm is a joy to disassemble, feel free to use this guide:

Please login or register to view links

F2Bthere likes this.
  10. xkristian

xkristian New Member

-Return to Top-

I wish I had this when I went down this path... can you share any advice on tools that would let me take a stab at this?

11. Bud Weiser

Bud Weiser Premium Member

-Return to Top-

It's "Art Deco". Just glue the pieces on flat cardboard stock and throw it in a shadow box. Great conversation piece. Pure Genius if I do say so myself. And I do :)

12. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'd suggest to ship it to Robert, I think he's very experienced to work with this lens. I'm just wondering if it's possible to 3D-print the absent part, or secure the lens contacts other way.

Can you make pictures of the opposite site of the lens? BTW, what was the reason for disassembly?

About tools, the most tricky step there should be gently inserting contacts back to the slot on the lens, I'm typically using precise tweezers and do it very carefully, because it's quite easy to damage that wire (and I'm quite terrible in microsoldering).

13. leoda1945

leoda1945 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Taking this apart is a piece of cake. ;)

14. Finder

Finder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nothing duct tape and WD-40 can't fix...

Angus likes this.
  15. zen

zen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

if you broke the connector where the ribbon cable attaches to, or the same part on the circuit board, the lens is toast, nothing you can do, if you didnt break the electrical parts, there may be hope.

16. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Broken ribbon is not yet end of lens digital life, it can be often microsoldered using extra thin wires.
    If electronics is totally dead after water damage, the lens can be converted to manual with constant F2.8 aperture.

Please login or register to view links

17. xkristian

xkristian New Member

-Return to Top-

Pics uploaded...

20180615_003931.jpg

20180615_004249.jpg

18. yukosteel

yukosteel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Lens looks good on these pictures.

I'd make a thick plactic circle same diameter as contacts group, cut the group area sector from it, and then drill 3 small holes. That part should be able to secure contacts inside mount ring.
    Then I'd try to connect the ribbon cable, and assemble the mount. Looks like you only have 1 black and 1 silver bolt, so good replacement options is needed for missed 2 silver nd 2 black bolts.

I'm wondering what was the issue with the lens prior to disassembly? Can you shed some light there?

If the lens electronics is dead, there is one more way to resurrect this nice Fuji glass : ) I'd purchase cheap Chinese brand lens in XF mount, and replace glass with one from XF 27mm. It could be fun project to do.

19. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

:)
    WD40 is special alight.
    We all do idiotic things.

20. Greg_E

Greg_E Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I'm guessing that filter on the front got in the way.

What's the status of this? Are you sending it to Robert or still thinking of doing something different?