This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Unique views of a cathedral

Discussion in 'Street-City-Architecture' started by Ron Stewart, May 15, 2018.

1. Ron Stewart

Ron Stewart Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

The Cathedral Church of St. John the Divine in New York City offers "vertical tours" which provide a different (at least for me) way of viewing the cathedral. The tour took us from floor level up the a buttress about halfway up and then to the attic and roof.

This is a private passageway about halfway up.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

I'll include a few more photos in a reply.

Ron

2. Ron Stewart

-Return to Top-

It was nice looking right out, instead of up, at stained glass windows.

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

This shows you how high up (over 100 feet) we were while still inside the cathedral.

I never considered what was above the arched ceilings, but there's actually an attic up there.

Finally, here's a view from the roof, looking down at a statue beside the cathedral.

Ron

zen, Rubyjon, CWRailman and 2 others like this.
  3. intheviewfinder

intheviewfinder Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice set. I like the next last because it shows that the dome construction is very similar to many I've seen in Europe.

Ron Stewart likes this.
  4. FranFL

FranFL Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Beautiful and interesting set. I like very much the last one. I visited the church in 1998 when I was in a business trip to NYC.

Ron Stewart likes this.
  5. Ron Stewart

-Return to Top-

Thanks for commenting, intheviewfinder and FranFL.

FranFL likes this.