This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

US film processor + good scans?

Discussion in 'Other Cameras' started by runswithsizzers, Jun 19, 2017 at 1:14 AM.

1. runswithsizzers

runswithsizzers Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Is there someplace in the US that offers decent scanning with processing of 35mm negative film?

A while back I had my local camera shop process and scan, and I was really disappointed with the digital files. True, the Kodak 400 (UltraMAX?) was not the greatest film to start with, and it was old - but kept in freezer until just before I exposed it.

I asked for 'better' quality scans and got back 3637 x 2433 pixel scans, JPGs run about 4.5-5.5 MB. Below are a few examples of the unprocessed scans. Not sure if all that texture is noise, or grain or what? I've scanned a lot slides, and some color negative film, and the files were always MUCH cleaner than these. So don't know how much of the problem might be due to the cheap, old film - and how much might be due to crappy local scanning.

Trying to decide if I want buy a fresh roll of decent negative film and try again with a processor known to deliver good scans (?) I don't need the best, and I don't mind a little work in post to clean up the scans, but the scans would have to be WAY better than these to get me back into shooting film.

These are 100% crops from unprocessed JPG scan files:

A0A0239-R1-04-5-crop.jpg

A0A0239-R1-03-4-crop.jpg

2. pandoraefretum

pandoraefretum Premium Member

-Return to Top-

3. Michael Teresko

Michael Teresko Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

I've just recently started shooting film again and am exploring different ways of digitizing. Here's a 100% crop from an Ektar 100 35mm negative that I had processed and scanned at Photolab, a local place. They will process by mail, and offer several different scan levels. This is a consumer hi-res TIFF scan. Files are 3091x2048. This image is straight from Capture 1 with only cropping. I've found that there is info that can be pulled from the shadows and highlights without too much fuss.

[​IMG]

Here's the full frame with some quick slider adjustments
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 4:30 AM
  4. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

That looks great! Is that the whole image or a 100% crop?

Thanks for the tip about Photolab; I'll check them out.

5. runswithsizzers

-Return to Top-

Oops! Sorry! You plainly said it's a 100% crop (how did I miss that?) In which case, the scan goes beyond great. I seem to have run out of adjectives.

6. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-

I think they look decent. Maybe a tad underexposed and already using a grainy, consumer-grade 400 speed film. But the scan quality is nice and the colors are natural. Photo Lounge in Philadelphia does a good job, but these days I develop, scan and process all my own film. Cuz I'm a control freak.