This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Vågen, Hidra, Norway

Discussion in 'Infrared (IR) Photography' started by Karl-Olav, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Karl-Olav

Karl-Olav Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have recently converted my X-Pro 1 to full spectrum. These pictures are shot with a 830 filter on a 18 mm f:2 lens handheld in RAW and developed in Lightroom. I am new to IR and converted to full spectrum to have all options available.

XP1A0036.jpg

XP1A0039.jpg

XP1A0040.jpg

XP1A0041.jpg

XP1A0042.jpg

zpuskas, leoda1945, DaveX and 6 others like this.
  2. nimbushopper

nimbushopper Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Wow, these are beautiful!

3. George B

George B Member

-Return to Top-

Those are wonderful images and I appreciate you posting these. The timing is perfect for me. I spent a good part of last night trying to decide which filter to choose before sending my X-Pro1 off this week for conversion. I am torn between 850nm and full spectrum. I know I will process the majority of my IR shots as black and white, but having the options that full spectrum provides is keeping me on the fence. Not sure if I want to deal with lens filters that full spectrum requires or not. I have an X-Pro2 for "normal" color shots and is easy enough to carry two bodies. Decisions, Decisions :)

4. Karl-Olav

Karl-Olav Active Member

-Return to Top-

If I had to do it over, I would go for 830 or 850 conversion. It is expensive to purchase external filters for each size lense. But I now also have the option to produce false color IR with a 720 filter and use the X-Pro 1 as a normal camera with a IR blocking filter. Since I have X-T2 as the normal camera a 850 conversion on the X-Pro 1 is really all I needed.

5. George B

George B Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks for that advice, good points. I use a lot of adapted lenses of various filter sizes so unless I got large filters and step down rings, the costs would add up quickly.

6. Jackson

Jackson Active Member

-Return to Top-

It turns out the XT-2 is incredibly sensitive to IR light without conversion. I've been shooting with a Hoya 720nm filter and am able to shoot handheld at ~3200 ISO at f4/f5 and around 1/25 with optical stabilization. Not too bad. It's kind of a known secret of the X-T2. Might give it a shot. I had an XM1 converted to full spectrum recently and still waiting for it to be returned to me. Great images by the way!

dseevv and Karl-Olav like this.
  7. Karl-Olav

Karl-Olav Active Member

-Return to Top-

I have to give it a try with my X-T2. Thanks for the tip.

8. Max Fstop

Max Fstop Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Excellent set ;)