This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Vivitar 28/2 Close Focus

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by dixeyk, Jun 18, 2017.

1. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Arrived today. The cleaning marks (from fungus removal) are visible but you really gotta look for them and seem to have no effect on the images. Lens looks and feels new. I didn't realize that the mount was Konica AR so the adapter is a bit shorter than my old MD mount version. It also means the lens is set up like a Konica lens (makes sense) so the aperture turns the wrong way o_O.

It also feel like it takes 10 minutes to do full turn of the focus ring (my last one was the same) but it handles great, peaks well, gets close and I'm thrilled. I had forgotten that the aperture had had steps. I snapped a few quick images in the garden and think its going to be fun.

I think these are f2.8 or f3.5

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

niggyl, Seamus3900 and rokphish like this.
  2. RogerLund

RogerLund Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't notice the difference in focus direction anymore, of course I tend to focus and then move slightly. I really do enjoy this little lens for close work. Not sure I'm sold on it for landscape work yet, perhaps I'll have to do f8 challenge with a bunch of my 28mm to see how they all compare for those types of shots.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Hmmm...I just looked and it DOES focus in the opposite direction. It's funny that it has never bothered me but the aperture ring turning the opposite direction does. How odd. FWIW I think my Nikon 28/2 is probably better for landscape work but I so seldom shoot anything even remotely landscapey that it's not a huge concern for me.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Please login or register to view links by Please login or register to view links, on Flickr

The creepy door to my creepy shed

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Since the Vivitar is AR mount it has the same notchy aperture that all Konicas have. Makes sense that Vivitar would want to match the design sense of the lenses whose mount it shares but I wish I had thought of that before hand. My old one one was MD mount with that same buttery smooth feel Minolta apertures have.

Note to self, if I buy this lens again make it either Nikon or Minolta mount.

6. RogerLund

RogerLund Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Dunno mine is AR, not sure if it's buttery but I would call it fairly smooth.

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

I have no clue what the aperture was. I think somewhere between f2.8 and f4.

Not my dad...he's gone 12 years now. I miss him a lot.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Wintersong likes this.
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

I suppose you could describe mine as fairly smooth as well. This copy looks a lot better than my first copy but it's not as nice to work with from a physical perspective. Like almost all the Konica lenses I've had it feels kinda rough and unrefined. The Minolta version was smoother and felt better in the hand. Optically it's not any different.

9. RogerLund

RogerLund Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I would think the focus would be the same on both copies unless someone different made them, but then optically they would be different. Interesting..

10. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

It's a Komine made lens just like the previous one but it does feel different. Perhaps a later year and they changed the design a bit? I just assumed that because it was a AR mount they needed to make to more Konica-like (weird). Of course the more I think about that the less sense it makes.

RogerLund likes this.
  11. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Suffice to say, I like the lens. I'm happy to have a copy of it to use. I like the images I am able to get using it and since that's the point of making images the focus and aperture turning the opposite way to what I am used to are pretty minor quibbles. Perhaps I need to give my "weird" Konicas another chance.

RogerLund likes this.
  12. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

The Vivitar has me a bit nostalgic for using Sony bodies with adapted lenses. Love the lens but it is much more comfortable to use (for me) with a flip screen model of camera like the a6000 or NEX bodies than the X-P1.

13. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The X-T models have the flip screen, as does my X-A1 and the X-M1. I don't like the flip-screens much for manual focus though, since I am far-sighted.

dixeyk likes this.
  14. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

I don't care for the X-T models, and the X-A and X-M models are nice but I prefer old NEX bodies (faster, better build quality, better peaking, nicer grip and cheaper). IQ is very similar with the Fuji's are better in some things and the Sony's are better at others. The sweet spot for the Sony bodies is the older 16mp sensor. For whatever reason, shooting low (from the hip using a flip screen) feels pretty natural to me and the Sony focus peaking as well as their sunny weather LCD setting makes it pretty fast and easy.

Where Fuji outshines Sony is with it's native lenses so the X-P1 is IMHO the better compromise, really nice ergonomics, UI, great low light image quality and I already have one so no extra expense.

beakhammer likes this.
  15. Wintersong

Wintersong Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have taken some photos I love with the f2.8 version of this lens. An f2 is on my wishlist, as it's generally considered a better performer all around, but the significant price (I tend to see them selling for over $200USD) over the f2.8 has made it hard to justify for me so far.

16. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

If the fact that this lens is a Konica AR mount (and everything turns the wrong direction) drives me absolutely crazy I'll give you a heck of deal on this one. I got it for a song and would happily pass that along to a fellow board member.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  17. RogerLund

RogerLund Premium Member

-Return to Top-

To me the Sony 's have horrid peaking in comparison.... shrug.

18. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

Funny, I would say the same of the Fuji (including the X-T bodies). I think the Fuji's can be more accurate but it's much harder to spot and Sony tends to be a bit too aggressive but I always found the Sony easier to adapt to. To each their own.

19. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

20. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The Fuji peaking works well for me, but it is much better on my X-E2 than on my X-Pro1. The X-Pro1 EVF is not that great. I have been using using film-cameras with really good optical viewfinders so much lately that I am actually souring on any sort of EVF.