This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Weatherproofing my x100T

Discussion in 'X100F, X100T, X100S, X100, and X70' started by Tor Fröjd, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Tor Fröjd

Tor Fröjd New Member

-Return to Top-

I´m going to take my x100T on a trip through Asia/Australia and I am somewhat concerned about the fact that the camera isn´t weatherproof. Therefore, do you guys have any suggestions on what type of case to use or how to prepare the camera for dust and rain? I would prefer if I, with the case attached, am able to us all of my cameras functions and that the camera remains easy to use.

All answers are welcome since I have absolutely no experience with this:)

2. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The way I read your question, the answer is an underwater scuba case. I'm sure that's not what you have in mind. Can you clarify?

I've used the Fuji leather full-case for protection against hard knocks while in a very minimalist unpadded daypack. I've used zip-lock bags for quick protection against humidity, dust and rain, but these don't allow access to all functions and require some kind of modification for lens protrusion.

Even with a fully weather proof camera there are caveats to your environmental description.

I think we need some more information.

3. Tor Fröjd

Tor Fröjd New Member

-Return to Top-

Well the aim with this is to prepare my Fuji for all kinds of conditions that might challenge the camera on my journey, wether it is high humidity or dust/sand. I am somewhat new to the camera game, and I´m afraid that my question isn´t more specific than that. How do I set up the camera equipment in the best way?

I´ve thought about the underwater scuba case, but it feels rather bulky to use outside of the water. Pease correct me if I'm wrong!

The suggestion to use the leather full-case in combination with a zip-lock bag sounds promising. What kind of zip bag do you recommend? Are there any specific features I should look for when buying one?

Thank you for the answer! :)

4. J J

J J Premium Member

-Return to Top-

When you say “with the case attached”, do you mean that you want to be able to operate the camera when it is inside a waterproof case? As streetsntravel says, that would require an underwater housing of some sort.
    Or do you require a protective case that you can leave temporarily dangling from the camera when you take pictures?
    In that case, although not fully rainproof, something like an Optech D compact neoprene pouch might suffice
    . Probably only OK if you intend to mostly carry the camera in a separate bag or backpack as they do not offer a huge amount of protection.
    You may decide on a dedicated camera bag, which would perhaps afford better protection but will obviously be more bulky and an additional item to carry.
    The subject of bags and cases for cameras attracts nearly as much discussion as that of cameras themselves because there are so many options available. Your best solution depends on how you will be travelling.

streetsntravel likes this.
  5. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@J J has good suggestions. I've traveled extensively with a X100, but likely not in entirely the "primitive" conditions you seems to indicate. For knocks protection, the Fuji leather case is quite good, but it does not seal out against pervasive dust and heavy rain. I do use it for hiking in the USA desert southwest. Other things that come in handy are the heavy duty freezer grade "1-qt" ziplock plastic bags. I also like Domke wraps. These are protection items, very useful for transport but are not the kind of thing that promotes instant photography - you've got to unpackage or unwrap the camera to do that.

I also take two or three large microfiber cloths. These can even double in an emergency for a personal towel. In heavy condition, put on the lens cap (or in your suggestion of environmental unfriendly conditions) use a clear filter, and wipe the camera often. I also have a relatively large (about the size of the tip of my pinky finger) camel hair artist brush that I've sawed off the long handle to a manageable/packable length. I use this to brush the grit and dust away and from under all movable parts, dials and buttons at the end of the day. If you are expecting a lot of water, I'd make that camel hair brush a fine artist nylon variety.

If I were venturing into conditions like I hear you describe, I'd opt for a different cameral. I use a X-Pro2 and even though my X100 never failed based on dust, rain, etc., certainly the X-Pro2 has never even hiccuped. If I were actually planning for long trips in bad conditions, it would be the X-T2 as you don't have the extra controls and possible breach points that you do when you have an additional optical VF.

I really don't know the conditions you are describing, however those that I've experienced I haven't had a camera failure based in part on my use of reasonable care, often using a small "man-bag" as a street pouch in which to frequently keep the camera, and then maintenance at obvious opportunities during the day. If this is really the trip from "hell" then maybe a backup body would be better and in that case I would go with a weatherproof resistant body like the X-T2, a backup like the X-E3 and at least one lens for each that you are comfortable using for much of your photography - in your case with your comfort of the 23mm f/2 on the X100, then I'd go with the 23mm f/2 WR and the 35mm f/2 WR lenses. Both lightweight and nearly interchangeable under dire circumstances and yet individual enough in their FOV to be separately useful.

Good luck in your search,
    Roger

Tor Fröjd and J J like this.
  6. Tor Fröjd

Tor Fröjd New Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you @streetsntravel and @J J for your answers! I will probably go for the leather case or Optech d combined with a zip-bag. Added up with a fair deal of maintenance, of course. But I will absolutely give the camera setup proposed by Roger a look!

Again, thanks for you answers!