This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

West Cork

Discussion in 'B&W' started by Nick.k, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Nick.k

Nick.k Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Typical views close to home, taken this afternoon while out on a stroll. X100 red filter
    I'm very new to black and white so please feel free to advise / criticise.
    Nick DSCF0275.JPG

2. Lisa

Lisa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I like your composition. I would have tried playing with the sky more in post to get some details. Maybe pop the contrast a tad too. But of course, it's not my pic. I have found that the best critique comes from within. Do what pleases your mind, emotions, spirit, whatever....

3. Aphotographer

Aphotographer Premium Member

Logtown, CA (Northern Foothills of the Sierras

-Return to Top-

I shoot RAW + Jpeg in BW to see if the image is good in monochrome. If so, I will process the RAW file as you can get much more detail and drama from it. For me, the in camera conversion is just a starting point. I use Lightroom.

Lisa likes this.
  4. Nick.k

Nick.k Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks both for the advice.
    I don't yet have any post processing software. I've used my budget on the camera so purchasing is out for the moment (I'd rather stay away from cloud based stuff too). I have been looking at open source offers but I note that no one seems to talk about them here. Perhaps a subject for a thread in post processing?

5. DaveX

DaveX Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I think you did a good job in this shot, agree maybe try something with the sky. I am on my win 10 laptop now, but on my linux one I have both Darktable and Rawtherapee, which both are very good even though I am still learning it.

6. camprl1

camprl1 Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

While I also use Darktable and Rawtherapee on Linux, they are both also available for Windows and macOS. I am still somewhat of a beginner at post-processing, but these two programs offer many options and capabilities. As a Linux-devotee they are my only choices (well, there's also Lightzone, but I haven't played with it nearly as much).

Please login or register to view links
    Please login or register to view links

Rob

DaveX likes this.
  7. Nick.k

Nick.k Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Thanks Rob
    I installed Darktable yesterday...so a good bit of learning to do now!