This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What films are you shooting? Please post examples.

Discussion in 'Other Cameras' started by beakhammer, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Tim Sewell

Tim Sewell Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My latest experiments - HP5+ shot at 800 then developed in HC-110 at dilution H for 20 minutes (boy, was that a drag!). I'm quite please with the contrast and grain - not too awful at all. The images were shot on the amazing Canon EOS 1N, using the plastic fantastic fifty 1.8.

Please login or register to view links

2. Activatedfx

Activatedfx Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nice!!!!!

Tim Sewell likes this.
  3. denis.lincoln

denis.lincoln Apartment Smells of Rich Mahogany

-Return to Top-

This is my life. I carry my M6 or M4 with 28 Elmarit or 50 cron to and from work every day. I shot some film in Sea Ranch up the Sonoma coast the other day on my first day off in 9 days. That was good. Other than that it's ballast in my man bag. Being a grownup sucks.

4. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

@denis.lincoln - You've been posting some VERY nice images on Insta! Loving the CA coast photos. But, yeah, your "being a grownup" comment really hits home. I've been booked solid for the last 10 days. Good for the checking account. Bad for the playtime.

I actually did manage to sneak out to B&H today to buy the VM Nokton 50/1.5. Unfortunately, even though it said the chrome version was "in stock", apparently it's only "in stock" at the B&H Brooklyn location. They don't distinguish that on the web site. Arghhhh. Fortunately for me, it's only at 15 minute walk from my apartment. So I'm picking it up tomorrow morning. Woot!

5. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

A little teaser.

DSC00697.jpg

denis.lincoln likes this.
  6. robert

robert Administrator Staff Member

-Return to Top-

7. beakhammer

beakhammer Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Let's see, there's a baleful red eye, there's talk of fondling my precious, my preciousssss,

this reminds me of something:

Three Cameras for the Film-Kings under the sky,
    Seven for the Please login or register to view linksens-Lords in their halls of stone,
    Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
    One for the Leica-Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of E-Bay where the Shadows lie.
    One Camera to rule them all, One Camera to find them,
    One Camera to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

In the Land of E-Bay where the Shadows lie.

niggyl, Topsy and Activatedfx like this.
  8. denis.lincoln

-Return to Top-

Thanks man. That was my first day off in a couple of weeks minus thanksgiving which was full of family and kind of relaxing, but only so restful as the prospect of the next several days at work in a row loomed.

Those shots you're referring to were made with my XP2 and 14/18 lenses. I had that kit + the M4 with 50 cron and HP5. I might develop that roll this weekend now that the madness rush has passed for now. :)

Activatedfx likes this.
  9. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

Picked up the Nokton today. I mean....

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00784.jpg

DSC00786.jpg

imagesfromobjects, Topsy and magmouse like this.
  10. denis.lincoln

-Return to Top-

Beautiful camera. Triangle rings on that M7 makes me a little sad, though. Look forward to what you're able to make with that glass.

11. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

It's funny. I JUST noticed the rings... I guess the original owner added them? Don't be sad. They are coming off right now! haha

As for the glass: I agonized over what lens to get. I almost got the new 7artisans 50/1.1, but I haven't loved any photos I've seen taken with it. Swirly and weird. The Nokton 50/1.1 was tempting for the f/1.1 aperture, but the size, weight and 1m/3ft MFD were a deterrent. I like to get close. I can't afford a 50 Lux, so the VM 50/1.5 won on price, .7m MFD, IQ and looks!

One thing I've immediately noticed just playing around with the kit, is that the RF focusing is LEAGUES better than the Canonet or Yashica. While the Yash is very sharp, and I can get it focused, it's like the steering wheel on an old car. Lot's of shifting in and out until I'm pretty sure it's focus. With the Leica and VM, the focusing is like a scalpel cutting through butter. Much "finer" resolution in both the focus ring and RF patch. I can see a 1/2 inch difference in focus distance, and even the difference between a mile, and true "infinity." Now I get why people pay top $ for a Leica.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  12. denis.lincoln

-Return to Top-

I noticed similar differences when I pulled the plug on the Canonet and decided to buy the M4.

Whether those differences are worth the money to people are where the whole discussion gets muddy and where tempers flare on the ole interweb.

Did you buy one of those B&H M7s? That ad keeps coming up in my FB feed. I'm like, nope! Got plenty, thanks!

Activatedfx likes this.
  13. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

I expect those differences matter more when critical focus matters more. Stopping down, wider lenses and strong light makes the difference less significant. Also, there is some added pleasure in using better quality gear, especially as our eyes get old and wonky.

Now that I am regularly using a wide variety of old and very old cameras I find that what matters most to me is how well the cameras hold up over time. The most solid and precise mechanical equipment remains functional, enjoyable, and above all repairable, over time. Among my 135mm SLRs it is Nikon and Pentax that hold up best. Rolleiflex, Zeiss, Graphlex and Voigtlander stand out among the really old cameras. I don't have very fancy rangefinders, but I do like my Voigtlander Bessa R, and the older Konica Auto S2 is very good. The Leica M3 and M5 that I have handled in a shop were better, but maybe not enough to matter much in a practical sense with the normal and wider lenses I tend to use. On the other hand, repairing a Leica should never be a problem.

I suspect that the Konica Auto S2 has a better RF and VF than the Canonet. The Voiglander Bessa R has a wonderful, huge, bright viewfinder and a clear RF patch, but the RF adjustment is hard to deal with on that model. Later models may be better. I bought the "R" model for the screw-mount. I like that the Cosina Voigtlanders have selectable bright frames for several focal lengths built in. If I was looking for another RF camera I would seriously consider the Cosina Voigtlander Bessa R3M, with it's mechanical shutter and a 1:1 viewfinder.

14. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

I have to say, now that I've experienced it, I think it's worth the money. It's already more difficult to shoot film, meter, manually focus, etc., and you can't check the shot until a few days later, so the easier it is to achieve accurate focus and exposure, the better!

I didn't buy from B&H. I wanted an M7 for Aperture priority, and I wanted it in silver with an 0.85 finder because I'll mostly use a 50mm. I had been looking in all the usual places for a few months, and finding that combo in good shape in the US seemed to be impossible, so I was considering getting one from Japan. On a whim, I checked Fred Miranda last week, and a guy has JUST listed the exact M7 I wanted with the updated MP finder, in 9+ condition (it's actually more like 10) with box, papers, strap, etc., for $1,800 shipped. Yep. You read that right. About 1/3rd of a new one (with tax). He should have been asking more like $2,500, so I figured there was a catch, but I spoke with the the guy and he seemed legit. He was hot for an A7R III, and selling everything as quickly as possible to buy it! GAS is my friend. Within 20 minutes, I bought it because I was afraid it would be gone! haha!

I was talking to one of the older, "seen it all" salesmen at B&H when I picked up the Nokton, and he dropped his pen and opened his eyes wide when I told him the story. I got lucky.

Now I've got to decide if I'm taking it out in the snow today. Hmmmmm....

denis.lincoln likes this.
  15. denis.lincoln

-Return to Top-

That's a tremendous price. My M6 is a .85 with the MP finder upgrade. It definitely makes a difference with a 50.

Remember to overexpose in the snow! ;)

Activatedfx likes this.
  16. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

Ha! Wait. There's no "snow" preset on the M7??

I originally wanted an M6 classic, then I decided to go really old-skool and get a nice 1 million serial M3 for the .90 finder, and add an older 50 Cron. But then I realized I'd just be frustrated with no built-in meter. Might do that sometime down the road.

And I decided NOT to take the 7 out in the snow. Not nice to mis-treat it on the very 1st date! Plus, it would have been mortified to be seen in public inside a Baggie with a rubber band on it's nose!!

17. beakhammer

-Return to Top-

A bit of snow won't bother the camera or the lens. Carry it under your coat if it's a blizzard (that's when the traditional short neck strap is best).

Overexpose 2/3 to 1 stop in snow.

18. Activatedfx

-Return to Top-

Yep. I've skied with cameras for over 25 years - since my kids started skiing. Not worried about a few flakes. I keep it under my jacket on a Black Rapid sling/slider, and I always carry a soft dry cloth to wipe things down every once in awhile.

But in NYC the snow is generally melting as it lands, and things get wetter more quickly, so I'll stick the camera in a 1 gallon Baggie with a hole cut in the bottom of the bag to poke the lens through, and the opening at the back so I can slip a hand inside. With that setup and a UV or ND on the lens, I can carry it in my hand the whole time with no worries.

Tomorrow should be nice here in NYC, so the Leica will be going out to play.

imagesfromobjects likes this.
  19. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-

OOF.

We're on a similar page. Since picking up the a7, I'm completely smitten. The handling - not the actual ergonomics, but the menus and such - are AWFUL, and the OOC jpegs are totally lame, but GOOD GOD seeing a 24MP raw full frame file shot with a Takumar 50? No going back.

Using APS-C would be like smoking banana peels after shooting heroin now, I'm afraid. The Fuji gear is being phased out of my bag, currently on loan to a friend / prospective buyer. I'm underwhelmed by just about all the native Sony/Zeiss lenses on every level - size, price point and character. Not interested. So now, I'm lusting after the Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.2 in FE mount. Selling my Fuji gear will only get me about halfway there, so I'll probably have to wait until tax season, but it appears to tick all my boxes. Just perfect. Will I miss the XF35/1.4? I'm positive I will. But, hey. It'll still be around if I decide to ditch the Sony, though in all honesty, I can't really see doing anything but an X70 as an AF travel/street camera, or a GFX whenever someone decides to give me 10,000.

Aye. Sad, but true.

Activatedfx likes this.
  20. imagesfromobjects

imagesfromobjects Remember

-Return to Top-