This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

What to expect from the X-E4

Discussion in 'General X Camera Forum' started by AMSOS, Nov 8, 2018.

1. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Do you have any idea of when the X-E4 will be launched? What kind of changes are expected? I am assuming that it will have the new 26 MP sensor from the X-T3. But will perhaps it have a larger EVF?

Will it also be even made even more smaller than the X-E3? I for one went for the X-E2s and am glad that I did. The eye-point is just about enough for someone like me who wears specs, but I am sure I won't like the one on the X-E3.

Overall, what kind of changes are expected?

Also, does the launch of the Nikon and Canon mirrorless system have a bearing on the Fuji line of cameras? Could it be that Fuji will move the market upwards towards more sophisticated and expensive bodies, leaving bodies like the X-E3 behind?

Thanks!

2. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ask a fortune teller :D
    Personally, I am very disappointed with X-E3 design on many accounts.

BloodNGutsMurphy likes this.
  3. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Fuji seem to be maintaining a spread of products across price points. The higher end products are definitely creeping up there in price (although from memory the X-T3 has a lower MSRP at launch than the X-T2 did) but the XA series and I guess XT-20 and XE-3 provide for the value end of the market.

CWRailman likes this.
  4. Arjay

Arjay Admin Staff Member

-Return to Top-

I think the X-E3 provides a lot of value for money - and I expect the next iteration will too.

As a spectacles wearer, I get along well with the X-E3's EVF; a longer eye point distance would be even better, making the camera more suitable for users needing stronger optical correction. A somewhat higher EVF magnification would be welcome too.

I use my X-E3 as a sidekick to my X-Pro2 - at least that was my intention. Since the button placement is substantially different between the two cameras, this didn't work out for me. I really wish that Fuji would develop some kind of button position standardization across its entire X camera line so that using multiple camera bodies simultaneously would become more intuitive.

Lastly, a new X-E4 should feature a much higher sampling rate for its touch screen. This would at last make touch operation (apart from the already acceptable swipe functions) a viable control feature. (Maybe, just maybe, this issue can already be fixed on the X-E3 via firmware update...)

5. Mr SMW

Mr SMW Triple Platinum Member

-Return to Top-

Who knows but the current XE3 is a superb item as it is.

Factor in cost...and you can pick a brand new one up for a little over 500 euros, so under £500, that's just nuts!

If an XE4 does come along...and who knows (other than Fuji) if one will, for me all it would need is the processor etc from the XT3. It doesn't need anything else. And arguably, it doesn't even 'need' that.

Crystal ball uncovered and palm crossed with silver, I'd reckon on a new one being in the same market position as the current XT20/XE3, ie, sub XT2/3/Pro2 in build/spec etc. If we even see one...but I'd go a Brexit vote rivaling 51% likely against 49% unlikely.

mnhoj and Mike Ford like this.
  6. AndyH44

AndyH44 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The X-E3 is outstanding, unique, and very capable of the finest of imaging SOOC. All it needs is a flip screen IMHO.
    No comment on your Canikon query. Go to DPR if you want to B.S. about that.

surfdogs likes this.
  7. versesinanelegiacmetre

versesinanelegiacmetre Member

-Return to Top-

DPR ? Of China or Korea?

kerrydeare likes this.
  8. DaveKennedy

DaveKennedy Premium Member

-Return to Top-

No one here knows, it's all going to be pointless speculation until it's released.

9. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

The X-E4 will have a 3.7Mp EVF for sure...already in use in a few X-models. It could also have a higher VF magnification option [...wider, using the L/R margins] just like the X-T3...it's only a FW adaptation.

Fuji will use the highest pixel pitch sensor it's using today [...or next day]...doesn't make sense to have too many sensors in the product line.

What Fuji needs to do is to eliminate FW flakiness...spoils otherwise a decent [...to me] camera long in use.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Can you elaborate a bit on this? When I was researching the camera I wanted I was sure that the E3 was going to be a little too small for my hands. The E2s I got is just great, although something tells me I’ll really like using the Pro2.
    Speaking of which will you eventually want to get the Pro2 or its successor over the E4 in the future?

11. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That’s interesting. I hadn’t thought about this. And now that you mention it I do feel that the button placement on the E2s is a little odd. The ones on the right side are great but the column on the left feels a little unintuitive. That said, I’ve mostly grown used to them.
    As someone who would like to eventually shoot with the Pro2 or its successor your comment is food for thought. It would indeed be great if a larger and more capable body had the same feel as a smaller body with some multi functions buttons missing. On this note it’s also interesting to note that the aperture ring feel on my lenses is not the same. I’ve read a lot about how good the 90 f2 is, and know from experience that my 35 f2 is also excellent. But I can’t say the same for my 23 f2, which while acceptable is not in the same league.

I have mixed feelings about touch screens. On the one hand the useability potential is of course there. Panasonic seems to excel in that regard. But I’m pretty much okay with what my E2s has to offer. Also, there’s just something about the mechanical feel of buttons that works for me. From what I can see Fuji may be moving to a model where the E4 and successors remain capable but are mostly touchscreen, while the Pro3 range will offer the full range of buttons.

12. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You words have an ominous ring to them ha ha! But seriously, do you think that they may chop the E3 like of cameras entirely? Or that there prices may go up a lot?

Are you also thinking of the impact of the launch of new full frame mirrorless systems and their impact on Fuji’s strategy for the future?

13. bacil

bacil Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I just hope it will come in Silver Brown option just like the X-100F brown version. That camera is just so cool.

14. cpu8088

cpu8088 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

i havent seen a clear photo of UFOs or aliens. that means the current crop of cameras are not up for grab.

x-e4 will have super fast auto focus, accurate super fast auto exposure, wb, and all other auto functions.

it should be small enough and light weight for carrying around whole day/night to capture UFOs and aliens. :)

15. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

There was already a lot of talk about, when E3 was released.
    So many people were waiting a very long time for a E2's successor,
    and we've got a nasty surprise . . a cam is smaller, EVF is rubbish for specs wearers, touch screen, and no D-Pad.
    Those four things were major let downs for those, who wanted to upgrade their E2.
    From a user experience, E3 feels a totally different camera.
    I know, some who upgraded from iPhone to E3 are happy.
    I already have X-Pro2 since it was released, and E3 I wanted as a back up.
    No, I'm not interested in E4 at all. I see where the Fuji is heading.
    I may, or may not to upgrade to X-Pro3. Just maybe. If it brings to the table what I want.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    marsmail likes this.
  16. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have the E2s and quite like it. Yes, there are many things that can be improved but I stayed away from E3 for exactly the reasons you outline above.
    However, I neither have the need or the budget for a Pro3. I was however seriously planning to get an E4 when it is released, assuming that it would have ironed out all the issues of previous bodies.
    But, your words don't augur well for the E4. So, where do you think Fuji is heading with all this?

17. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

On screen control . . . less manual button, and knobs layout. They want to get people hooked on that. Even leave without a choice. It's cheaper, and easier production, easier, cheaper repair, much bigger profit.
    There is another enemy of true art lurking around . . . AI tech . . . a camera with organic sensor, that will take a perfect shot all by itself.
    The real fun of learning, improving art, creating, . . will be lost.
    It will be replaced by the art of craft only . . which is not true art.
    It will be a camera for idiots. . . Entering the Lazy Idiots Era.
    Machines will do the craft. It's already started.
    Funny thing is . . many people are thrilled by the soulless machine's craft. Soulless people? . . .

18. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

A camera has no soul...it's a machine.

Imparting soul into an inanimate object is myth.

I'd rather have a machine controllable by direct input [if desired]...shutter speed, aperture, ISO/EV.

I don't fret about AF much well-knowing DoF; ...don't fret about simulating films I'd never used; and even set ISO and DR to -auto...simply MF and shoot.

The X-E model with small LTM/M-glass mounted is close to my ideal...and with a 100% accurate VF to boot.

I don't mind dropping D-pad, touch screen works just fine...no buttons to break, ...and my LCD is always off. Besides, touch screen or glide pads have been proven in laptops well over 20 years.

Believe it or not, my thoughts drift back to my X100 now retired. An X100[next] might become again my 1C1L travel gear.

YogiMik likes this.
  19. AMSOS

AMSOS Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Ah, now that would be truly sad. I can understand if they wanted more LCD controls and I would even accept that. But replacing anything more - such as the SS or aperture dials - will be a deal-breaker for me.
    When I hear thoughts I think back to that remark about how photography has actually become more difficult today. Because the machines are doing most of the basic work, it is more and more difficult to distinguish between good and bad photos.

YogiMik likes this.
  20. YogiMik

YogiMik Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Exactly.