This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Where Shall We Go Today?

Discussion in 'Portraits, People, & Pets' started by CWRailman, Nov 8, 2018.

1. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That is the question I ponder as the Magna warms up and before I stuff the camera bag containing my X-T1 and 18-55mm lens into the saddle bags and head out on todays motorcycle based photographic adventure.
    Where to Today 016-5.jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. LionSpeed

LionSpeed Premium Member

-Return to Top-

In a few days we'll be heading to Zion National Park, Brian Head for some snow play & last stop at Bryce Canyon for some picture testing out both T3 & H1.

So go there, we can meet up. :)

CWRailman likes this.
  3. Tilphot

Tilphot Premium Member

-Return to Top-

That’s the spirit!

CWRailman likes this.
  4. flakman

flakman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Denny...is that "Born to Be Wild" playing as a soundtrack?

CWRailman likes this.
  5. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

Festival of Italian Motorcycles this Sunday. Get on your bike and head to Melbourne. Got a spare bed.

CWRailman likes this.
  6. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@LionSpeed Look for me at the Parry Lodge in Kanab. If I'm not there then start without me as I do not want to hold up your excursion. :D

@flakman More like "On the Road Again" by Willie Nelson. For years during my engineering career as I traveled from site to site that was my theme song.

@Richard_R Google had difficulty in mapping out the route for me. Seems to be a glitch in their system. I'll try again later. :D

Todays excursion was a 138 mile round trip and a lot of images to process. But now for a quick nap. :)

LionSpeed and Richard_R like this.
  7. cbass

cbass Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Since we are in the same area and the weather has cooled off what are your favorite places to go? I am looking for suggestions.

8. Ed Dumas

Ed Dumas Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Im in Mesa, take a ride down to Tortilla flats? I need new photo ops myself,,,,would ride to where the leaves are too.

9. CWRailman

CWRailman Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@cbass
    I don’t so much have “places” I have rides that I enjoy. For me it’s the ride and not the destination. However, it’s nice to find a good place to enjoy some vitals along the route. A few of my favorite rides are:

Route 74 over to Wickenburg then up 93 to 89 and up to Yarnall and have breakfast at the Ranch House at the top of the mountain then continue up 89a to Prescott or Jerome. LOTS of twisties from Yarnell to Jerome. On the way back down you can stop at the Granite Mountain Hotshots fire fighters memorial to the 19 that lost their lives in the Yarnell Mountain fire. 210-260 mile round trip

The same route can be used to get to Sedona or you can take I-17 up to 179 and over to Sedona. While I will be doing a report/blog on that route later this month you can check out a similar trip I took up to Oak Creek Canyon titled "Please login or register to view links". 260-280 mile round trip

The Rusty Spur in Scottsdale for adult beverages and uncensored adult type musical entertainment sometimes leading to impromptu sing alongs.

Route I-60 to route 177 down to Winkleman and on to Tuscon and up to Mt. Lemon. 280-320 mile round trip

If you do the I-60 to 177 and then turn back North at Winkleman and head up Route 77 to Globe that is known as the Winkleman loop.

Did I mention the Rusty Spur in Scottsdale for adult beverages and music?

A ride up Route 87 (locally known as the Bee Line Highway) to Payson, have breakfast and continue up to Winslow and La Posada. You can also stand on the corner in Winslow, Arizona. 380 mile round trip

If I just want to go out for a few hours then a ride up to Cave Creek with a stop at the General Store for breakfast and visit with friends at the Hideaway, Harold’s club or the Roadhouse. 48 mile round trip

A ride up to Fountain hills to see the fountain, then continue up and around McDowell Mountain Road up and around Rio Verde and towards Scottsdale and up to Cave Creek. 60 mile round trip

A ride up to New River and breakfast at the Roadrunner Restaurant. 90-100 mile round trip
    Same ride but continue up I-17 to Rock Springs and have breakfast at the Rock Springs Café which is reported to have the best pies.

Heading South from Phoenix, ride down Central Avenue heading South to the South Mountain preserve and you can ride up South Mountain for a view of the entire valley. The Farm is a good place for breakfast though a bit off the route. 60 mile round trip

A visit to the Rusty Spur.

Further out for weekend trips I like Durango, Colorado, Chama, New Mexico both provide opportunities to photograph the trains. Williams, Arizona and up to the Grand Canyon or Historic Route 66 through Seligman, Kingman and on to the old mining town of Oatman with burros who freely roam the streets. 900-1300 mile round trips

If you like cars there is the Saturday car show at the Pavillions in Scottsdale. At this time opf year they start gathering around 3:00 in the afternoon and there is always something or someone to photograph. It is the longest continuous operating car show in the World having met every Saturday since 1991. I was involved in that show at the beginning and for many years but seldom participate these days. You can Google Arizona Motorcycle events for a listing of those which are plentiful. I think the Friday night Ride In is now going on in Mesa.

There are many rides depending on the distance you want to travel per day. I could go on and on but what I always suggest is get yourself a map of Arizona and mark off every mapped street that you ride and when you have them all colored over then you can say that you have toured Arizona. I have every mapped road North of Phoenix/Scottsdale, most between there and Tuscon but none below Tuscon for personal reasons.

Did I mention the Rusty Spur in Scottsdale?

BTW, British photographer Damien Lovegrove held several photo excursions he titled the Wild Wild West Tours here in Arizona and if you Google his name and Wild Wild West Tour you can see the many images he shot of various areas in and around Arizona. Two years ago I rode up to Holbrook and crashed their party one night and met one of our forum members @skidzam who came out from New York to tour with Damien. I did a bit of a blog about my excursion and you can check out titled "Please login or register to view links"

Enjoy you excursions and take lots of photo’s along the way and stop at the Rusty Spur on a Friday or Saturday night and listen to Jimmy and the guys.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  10. cbass

cbass Premium Member

-Return to Top-

@CWRailman

Thank you for the input. I do have a map and often will pick a route and see where it takes me. However, it seems you have been in AZ longer than I have so I was curious if you had a spot that perhaps I haven't been. I am slowly covering what I can.

I have been to Goldfield and the superstition mountains and canyon lake. Reavis Rach is on my list. Sedona and Jerome multiple times. Holbrook as well as Payson. I enjoyed Oatman as well. The casa grande domes (not the ruins). St Andrews Greek Orthodox Monastery, etc.

I did not know about the car show, but will check it out at some point. Nor do I know about the rusty spur.

I have the carefree desert gardens on my list as well as a few other places. I also enjoy the obscure and abandoned.