This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Which f/2 WR wide angle lens do you think that Fuji will release next?

Discussion in 'Native X-Mount Lens Forum' started by HansA, Dec 7, 2017 at 12:05 PM.

?
  1. 8mm

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. 10mm

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. 12mm

4 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. 14mm

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. 16mm

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. 18mm (mk. II version)

13 vote(s)
    46.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

I'm thinking about buying a Samyang/Rokinon 12mm, XF14mm, or maybe XF18mm so I could have a wide angle prime (the XF16mm f/1.4 is too big and too expensive for me) but maybe I should wait for Fuji to release a wide angle WR prime in f/2 (looking at what they did recently).

Sadly the roadmap hasn't told us anything about this but I'm hoping. Do you think that something like this will come out in 2018? I'd like a 12mm f/2 WR but if it's too big and expensive then I could live with XF16mm f/2 or XF18mm f/2 Mk. II (the last two are most likely to come out I think).

2. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

With the rumoured 8-16mm coming I don't think they will be releasing any new wide angle lenses

Sounds like the 14mm would suit you, small, light and excellent image quality, f/2.8 is hardly slow

HansA likes this.
  3. Chris GB

Chris GB Member

-Return to Top-

I assume you read Fujirumors? I take everything on rumour sites with several grains of salt, but there are multiple stories of a new version 18mm F2. A couple of recent mentions can be found here: Please login or register to view links, and here: Please login or register to view links

Fujifilm seem to be releasing so many products lately I wouldn't be confident guessing anything, but the XF18mmF2 seems like a plausible possibility, but would it really be a priority for Fujifilm? and given the other lenses already on the public roadmap, how soon could a not yet announced product be available and in stores?

EDIT: looks like the links were stripped out by this forum, so I guess that site is banned here.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:24 PM
  4. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

This is very true but I guess the XF8-16mm would be a "red badge" one which means that it's aimed at professionals (i.e., expensive and big). I think Fuji can release a f/2 WR wide angle lens like the 3 Fujicrons which would be aimed for the masses.

Yeah, but they also later said that the XF18mm Mk. II disappears from Fuji's roadmap which could indicate that it's postponed. Maybe untill 2019.

5. Chris GB

Chris GB Member

-Return to Top-

Not surprising at all, and why I say take it with a grain of salt. If there's nothing really solid there you could be waiting for a long while. I don't know anything about the Samyang/Rokinon, but if the cost is an issue maybe a used XF14mm would be a good compromise for now?

HansA likes this.
  6. Narsuitus

Narsuitus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I bought the Rokinon 12mm f/2 because I needed a fast lens that was wider than my 16mm f/1.4 Fuji. The Rokinon has been working very well for me. At first, I wished that it had auto focus like a Fuji lens would have but after using it for a while, I discovered that I could live without the auto focus.

Lisa likes this.
  7. colombiano

colombiano Member

-Return to Top-

I hope they will make 16 F2 one day. This lens is the only one that I'm waiting for Fuji to make it (16 1.4 is too big and I don't need F1.4 at 16mm).

8. ReporterMike

ReporterMike Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Me too. With such a wide lens, focus is hardly ever an issue, even at wide apertures.

I like a manual aperture ring in any case, so for me, that's not an issue either.

9. ojporqpojrewpo

ojporqpojrewpo Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I only wish that manual lenses would transmit aperture and focal length to the camera so the EXIF is correct.

Narsuitus and HansA like this.
  10. HansA

HansA Member

-Return to Top-

Fully manual lenses also have another benefit that they don't have electronic parts which when break, renders the whole lens/system inoperable. See Fuji's "lens control error" issues for example.

11. streetsntravel

streetsntravel Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I cast my vote for the 18mm mkII. I'm looking for portability in the Fuji system and for me the physics of size works out for the 18mm f/2 over f/2 in any of the others you list (they just get too big). I'm not sure the mkII is necessary (see below).

I've really built up a "false" impression of the current 18mm f/2 lens, just internalizing too much of the negative stuff floating around the internet. If you take a realistic survey of some of the photo sharing sites searching on this lens, people have been able to produce very good images with this lens. Thus my comment on whether the mkII is necessary. I have in the past used the 18mm (and equiv) on several different systems and found I like that focal length quite a lot. However on the Fuji system I've been working around that lens, I should pull the trigger and get one ;) .

I do have the 14mm f/2.8 and IMO it's a perfect companion to the new WR f/2 lenses for how I use it, it's not WR, but I used it a lot in travel situations where it's often difficult to control the dust, rain and weather and haven't had any trouble with it. The 14mm was my second lens after the 18-55 (I needed wider for travel and urban spaces) and it was the purchase that convinced me that "Fuji doesn't make junk". The 14mm has filled my WA emphasis needs when shooting a travel portfolio, it is certainly fast enough for interior snaps at f/2.8, it's relatively compact, shares a hood with the 18-55, pairs very nicely in a AF/MF mode on especially my X-Pro2 and is now my landscape lens for dominant foreground landscape photos.

In a 35mm film kit, my grab and go kit was patterned after some successful National Geographic photographers - 28mm and 50mm. They were up close and personal interviewers and people-storytellers. They filled the pages of the magazine that shaped my ideas of photography. The 18 and 35 on my X-Pro2 should probably get that test. Right now I use the 18-55 for my 18.

For a long time, the 18mm equiv (28mm) was considered the lens to have "if you could have only one WA lens". It's the new standard view of the world due to IMO the smartphone. In a story telling portfolio of two lenses, the 18mm standard turns the 35mm into a portrait lens. I like that.

I find the 14mm in my kit to be a great choice, but I have the 18-55mm zoom. If I did not have the zoom, then I'm guessing I would have gone with the 18mm f/2 off the bat. The 14mm may have also made the cut, but later on in my kit-building and then mostly as that emphasis landscape lens.

Roger

HansA likes this.
  12. joe aka back alley

joe aka back alley Premium Member

-Return to Top-

the best thing about a new 18/2 mk11 lens is that a really good 18/2 lens might go down in everyday price...

JonPB likes this.
  13. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Given that the 18mm MII is likely to be vaporware for some time, I would recommend that you try the current 18mm f/2. Despite its spotty reputation it is a really nice lens, very compact, and used copies are often quite cheap. The 14mm is optically superior but f/2.8 and a bit larger/heavier. Both are excellent but the 18mm is my every-day carry on the X-T20, which makes for a tiny and very capable package. I will certainly try the Mark II version of this lens if/when it is released because I really like this focal length, but honestly I can't imagine it being all that much better than the current one. I suppose I'd appreciate silent focusing and faster focus if it were on offer.

Angus and HansA like this.
  14. F2Bthere

F2Bthere Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I took one picture with an 18/2 in the used case at the local camera store. I was just "kicking the tires." I was quite happy with the 16/1.4, 35/1.4, 56APD combo and didn't feel a need for anything in between. That one shot floored me.

So I did a bunch of looking at images and the rendering looked good. I ended up with the lens and I'll be darned if it hasn't become the "if I'm only taking one lens" choice. It has wormed its way into my life.

It is indeed a great storytelling lens. I just shot an entire story on using traditional methods of handcrafting a garment starting with wool and all the images came from this one lens.

Angus, visorvet and HansA like this.
  15. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Always like to see the 18mm getting some love. I love the focal length, it focuses pretty close, and it’s so tiny and light that you don’t even know you’re carrying it. I think it’s hilarious that it has such a bad reputation.

Angus likes this.
  16. Angus

Angus Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I am also interested in getting a 14, probably used, and would like to ask any 14 owners how does it perform in low light, example being in a restaraunt. I have heard all good things about it’s landscaping abilities

17. cali92rs

cali92rs Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Isn't the 200mm f2 going to be released soon? I think that is the next f2 WR lens.

Edit: Now i see the "Wide Angle" in the subject title, which the 200mm certainly does not fit. I apologize for the sloppy reading :confused: