This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Willing to try manual focus on my XT-1 and need advise

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Forum' started by CIA, Feb 9, 2017.

1. CIA

CIA Member

-Return to Top-

Hi everyone. I'm entertaining the idea of using the following lenses and waned to know if anyone in this forum had any experience with these lenses. I've arrived to the following 2 choices. Will I be able to adapt the 42.5 to my camera? being a mft lens do I loose image being originally for a smaller sensor? I like the idea of being smaller and brighter. On the other hand do you know of a test side to side of this 58 to the fuji 56? that will help my final choice. Needles to say thank you all.

Voigtlander Nokton 58mm F/1.4 MF SL II Lens For Nikon Ai-s

Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95 MF Lens Four Thirds

2. pfogle

pfogle Puzzled

-Return to Top-

Yes to the Nokton 58mm, no to the 42.5mm. Micro FT lenses will not cover the Fuji sensor and cannot be used.

Fujica likes this.
  3. Liem

Liem Member

-Return to Top-

I currently use the Nokton 58mm. Beautiful sharp lens. I mostly use it with the Lens Turbo but it's equally great with a regular adapter.

4. gduncanson

gduncanson battery sherpa

-Return to Top-

re: lens choice,

imo, this is true for all lenses: the XF lenses will always outperform vintage lenses; supposing we were comparing the 56 to a Leica summicron 50, the advantage is no adapter and AF. It comes down to the look that you like and what lens brings you closest to that goal as a starting point. I find Flickr a great help in researching whether I like the rendering of a particular lens. And I will add that although I shoot with MF lenses attached 90% of the time, when I go back to a XF lens, it's a relief on my eyes to let the AF do the work (I wear reading glasses) and the quality is just a little too perfect for my taste.

Fujica, leoda1945 and rybolt like this.
  5. Pouncer

Pouncer Member

-Return to Top-

The CV 58 f/1.4 is a pleasure to use on Fuji cameras. If you want a manual focus lens in the 50-58mm range, this is an excellent choice. In my experience it is nearly as good as, but not better than, the XF 56 (though I'm not aware of any side by side comparisons). If you want an even smaller manual focus lens, consider a Nikon Ai 50 f/1.8.

rayvonn likes this.
  6. CIA

CIA Member

-Return to Top-

Thank you all for the opinions and great advise. I'll check flicker for the look and see if i like it. Otherwise, it seems the XF AF are the wining solution. Great

7. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

I agree with @gduncanson that Fuji native lenses will outperform adapted lenses. Of course a large part of what photography is about for me at least is making images and each lens has a slightly different look to it. My Fuji lenses are sharp and contrasty but sometimes I'm looking for a different look.

Flickr is a really good place to look. Also look at the adapted lens forums here as you'll see a lot of samples shot with Fuji cameras. Adapted lenses are also pretty cheap to try out as long as you're not buying Leica or Zeiss lenses so sometimes you gotta do a little bit of experimentation.

8. Rvl

Rvl New Member

-Return to Top-

I have the Nikon 50@/1.8 and 1.4 but they are heavy and bulky
    Now I am using Meike 50/2 with fuji x mount weighing 300gm compared to about 400gm for the Nikon with adapter
    I had the Nokton 50/1.5 ltm with my Leicas and regret selling all my lenses
    But I will probably buy the Fuji 50/2 when it comes out , for me MF is nice but AF lenses with peaking and finder zoom is best

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Dabbler

-Return to Top-

The Nikkor HC 50/2 is small, cheap and very VERY good.

10. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Thought I'd chip in to this old thread as I having personal experience with the Nokton 58mm F1.4. It ain't native, you'll have to use an adapter making your setup quite large and it's more expensive than the legacy lenses but wow - its as if this lens was specifically made for Fuji cameras, it's just so natural and produces unique images. I want to do B&Ws because I know it renders that so well, but I haven't managed to do that because the colours from it are just so impressive, maybe un-matchable. I have legacy Takumars and Nikkors which are very enjoyable and have their own rendering qualities but I have to be honest, the Nokton is better in all respects. I'm an X-T1 user.

11. Eskerman

Eskerman Member

-Return to Top-

I'm pondering about either 56X or the 58 Nokton - I have a 40mm Nokton M mount and I really love it - and I sold the 35X 1.4 / I want a good portrait lens for my XT1 and I'm literally split between the 56 and the 58 ( the 50-140 was tempting but I prefer primes

Paul

12. rayvonn

rayvonn Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I have a Nikon DSLR, so having the Nokton suited me better as I could use that superb lens on both systems. It's only that kind of reasoning that splits the 2 lenses (AF doesn't apply as you won't need that feature for still portraits). It's a very difficult decision is all I can say.