This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3: Hands-on first impressions thread

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by JDfuji, Oct 3, 2017.

1. redsim74

redsim74 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Again, that's encouraging.

I've just come back from a couple of weeks leave in a rather picturesque part of the country, and was reminded how small a target that d-pad is when you have your eye to the EVF and trying to use the function buttons on the controller.

2. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

My thoughts...after hands-on with the X-E3:

Virtual switches are indeed better than physical switches [...experience in laptop glide-pads in the last 2-decades should tell you much]...nothing to gum up.

N.B: Every one of my cell phones malfunctioned with pocket lint gumming up the key pad...until I got an iPhone 4s...never upgraded since...now also usable as a very articulated tilting LCD, pairing via Blue Tooth...Wi-Fi is not everywhere just yet...​

I use an X-E as a digital body for my adapted LTM/M-lenses, and set up my camera to be centre-weighted AE-aperture priority...with auto-ISO [>400~<3200 1/60s minimum shutter speed]; auto-WB; auto-DR; and auto-bracketing [EV = O, -2/3, +2/3]; ...with Touch Screen disabled and switched off; and Fn button linked to Self-timer.

The X-E3 is better than the M10...100% VF at a comfortable eye-glass wearer friendly 0.62X, with Focus Peaking or centre Split-image focusing aid, neither ever needs alignment service...and cost 1/7 of the price. [A 4-micron APS-C sensor has the same object resolution as a 6-micron FF sensor if noise is well-handled...it is.]​

I'd commented that the EVF seems to be better...smaller, neater text display [...but I disabled all except Exposure-, and Battery remaining...now 5 bars, and EV scale]; and still crisp even with View magnification invoked...don't need no stinking OVF.

My VF is clear and uncluttered...with red Focus Peaking appearing where appropriate when I MF my favourite LM 28/2.8 lens [...DoF is FW in my brains and engraved in lens barrels as well].​

I'd examined the whole camera carefully and worked all the dials and switches...felt solid clicking in positively [...including the EV dial]. The Joy-stick is very handy navigating the Menu screens.

What difference does it make being "Made-in-China" or Japan?​

The tripod screw hole is now only off-set to the right of the lens optical axis...in exactly the same amount [all my DIY tripod QR shoes fit], but the hole now centered fore/aft on the base plate [which measures 30mm...same as my X-E1].

N.B. That means any Arca-type brackets for the X-E1 or 2 won't fit.​

The camera eyelets [with inserts] are still >2mm...

All my DIY QR strap fits. Of course my soft release [plain black small convex for plugging up the shutter hole...better WR:), and would never fall off...using my olde rubber washer trick].​

I'm a happy camper and glad the X-E line was not discontinued...contrary to many X-pert predictions.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 6:02 PM
  3. bScanner

bScanner New Member

-Return to Top-

My vision is such that, even though I could see with the diopter corrected viewfinder, I couldn't see well enough without my glasses to do anything else (like adjust dials/menu settings, or even look for shots). Glasses constantly on and off won't work for me. o_O

4. redsim74

redsim74 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

So I managed to get to my favourite camera store on my way home from work yesterday. They had a silver X-E3 demo unit in their display cabinet, so I asked to have a 50 f/2 WR attached to it (probably my next lens purchase) to try them out.

I can happily say that - as a glasses wearer - I have no issue at all with the EVF. In no way did I feel it was a regression from my X-E2, I expect it's a better panel though hard to judge in the relatively dimly lit store.

I took a fast SD card with me to capture a few sample images. The touch screen seemed responsive enough flicking through the saved photos, and the function gestures worked fine.

The camera interface as a whole felt a little bit alien, so that's something to get used to moving from an "older" camera. Even the newer menu system, it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to even format my SD card! The back of the camera is positively spartan, and of course pretty much all the remaining buttons have moved. I realise now I completely forgot to even try the front command dial, having lived without one for so long. Joystick ... yay! View Mode button resurrected ... yay!

Build and finish seemed fine to me, though I don't like silver cameras. I've pretty much decided to trade in my X-E2 for the X-E3, that may happen this weekend as they should have black units in stock by then.

5. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Amazed so many people are seeing this camera in their local shops. It seems to be almost nonexistent in the US.

6. Alderney

Alderney Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

In Halifax, Canada...the stores haven't received the X-E3 either...but they're willing to take a special order.
    By their reaction to my interest, it seems there won't be one available until after Christmas.
    I'd just like to handle it a bit before making a decision one way or the other.

7. Robmas4229

Robmas4229 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Good to hear the mostly positive comments regarding the X-E3, as mine should be arriving today. I thought I was going to miss not having the tilt screen, but after recently spending a week shooting in southern Utah with my X-T2, I was unable to see anything on the LCD and was happier using the viewfinder anyway.

For those who have had some time to become familiar with their new units, I have a couple of questions that perhaps you could answer?

1. With the previous versions, you were forced into the same "view" mode for both shooting and playback. Does the New model allow you to say, use viewfinder only for shooting and LCD for chimping without having to switch viewing modes?
    2. If you disable the shooting feature from the touch screen, can you still use the four way swiping/function selections?

8. DougMac

DougMac Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

Yes. That's what I did.

Robmas4229 likes this.
  9. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Select "Eye Sensor + LCD" mode allows you to do just that.

10. Robmas4229

-Return to Top-

Well I guess it doesn't much matter at this point. I just received my package, opened it up and found that the textured covering on the rear/right of the camera is completely missing. Awaiting a return shipping label. So much for Fuji QC from China. I have purchased a lot of Fuji products since switching from Nikon five years ago, but never received anything this obviously overlooked.

11. Robmas4229

-Return to Top-

IMG_2656.JPG
    I'm assuming yours don't look like this?

12. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Nope...

13. DougMac

DougMac Well-Known Member

-Return to Top-

That's just nuts!

14. redsim74

redsim74 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

15. Robmas4229

-Return to Top-

Yeah, and then I spent the next 2.5 hours trying to deal with Amazon customer service to get a return authorization and shipping label. Finally ended up calling the seller directly who then emailed me a label. A painful experience it has been, all the result of poor QC. Disappointing and frustrating.

16. redsim74

redsim74 Premium Member

-Return to Top-

One advantage of dealing with a brick and mortar store. I'll be sure to examine mine when I go to pick it up.

17. visorvet

visorvet Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Bummer, especially when these units seem very thin on the ground at the moment. In 5 years of Fuji-dom I've never found any camera, lens, or accessory to be defective at time of purchase. Hopefully this is not a bad omen of problems to come!

Out of curiosity what was the problem with Amazon? I've returned hundreds of things over the years and never failed to have a return organized and a shipping label printed within seconds.

18. Frankie

Frankie Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I had dealt with brick and mortar stores all my life and often encountered clueless sales clerks who didn't know much and couldn't care less...resulting in back-and-forth hassles more than once.

I now live my retirement life in a community away from the big city and on-line shopping especially eBay [...a big computer] is my proven way. I tend to deal with real person sellers with good "feedback" and was seldom led astray...as in my purchase of the X-E3.

I had mental images that Amazon is a big warehouse [...or a referral services] and they don't really care...and no one, especially Amazon-type could open all packages examining the goods first.

Trusting [or distrusting] Fuji QA/QC is really the key... If one has to track down the real seller resolving an issue then you might as well deal with a store that accepts Paypal.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 1:10 AM
  19. Robmas4229

-Return to Top-

I have returned products to Amazon in the past for various reasons with no problems with returns. Apparently it is a different situation when a product is not "sold by" amazon. They are both a warehouse, as well as a marketplace where sellers market their inventory to buyers through Amazon. In this case the seller is a legitimate marketer and was very responsive when I contacted them directly. The real disconnect was Amazon customer service stepping back like "we will send the seller an email but we have nothing to do with it" attitude. Not to sound unworldly, but with 5 phone conversations with 5 different Amazon representatives, I had a difficult time with the language barrier.

Usually, when Amazon has been the seller of products that I've had issues with, there have been no problems returning them. If they did open up the packages to inspect products then the seal on the camera body bag would have been broken/voided, and I would have returned it because it would have appeared to be used, or not new. These days we have to rely on the manufacturers to provide QC.

As pissed as I am about this whole situation (mostly the frustration in getting it corrected, which I am still not certain will happen without further pain and agony) I have to stress that this is what we as a society have created. Amazon and the like, are going to eventually shut down the remaining big box retailers just like Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Lowes have shut down local grocery and hardware stores. We are lazy, we want it now, and we don't have a clue how many small brick and mortar stores we have helped destroy. I guess this is a small payback for the destruction of small business that I've contributed to.

Sorry for the rant, but I am as guilty as anyone else for my frustrations.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 12:08 PM
  20. Robmas4229

-Return to Top-

Just received another XE3. No pieces missing on this one.

I ordered it with the xf23/2 but so far have just been testing it out with the 18-55. So far I am surprisingly happy with the setup. I've disabled touch focus and touch shoot for now, and the swiping gestures for functions seem to work quite nicely. I like the size and it feels quite solid. It's a nice size in hand.

The jury is still out for now but the E3 (with the 23/2) may be what I needed to convince me to sell my X100F. The E3 can be a true backup to my X-T2 as it can share lenses. As it has turned out, the advantages the F offer me (built-in ND, leaf shutter and HHS) are not something I have much of a use for anyway.

I can already envision my future lightweight travel kit consisting of the XE3, 14, 18-55 and the 23/2.

Oh, and regarding the location of the tripod hole . . . . the Hejnar AS plate that I purchased for the X100 fits perfectly on the E3 as well. I can leave the plate attached and still have access to the battery & card.