This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

X-E3 - transferring photos to a PC using a hard connection?

Discussion in 'X-E1, X-E2, X-E2S and X-E3' started by shinbone, Feb 11, 2018.

1. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

I have successfully transferred files from my X-E3 to my PC running Windows 10 using WiFi.

How do I do transfer files using a hard connection? Specifically, how do I transfer files to a PC over a USB connection?

Whenever I plug a USB connection into the camera, the rear screen acknowledges a USB connection, but the camera does nothing else. Zip. Zero. Nada. No matter what button I push, the camera does not respond in any way. And, when I look at the drives recognized by the computer, it does not "see" the camera?

Any suggestions?

2. Dirk Offringa

Dirk Offringa Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I don't have the x-E3 but if the Fuji system is consistent, there should be a USB connection item on the camera in the set-up menu where you should choose "MTP" as the protocol when USB is connected. Then the connected computer will recognise the camera as a USB storage device, and so will Lightroom or other asset management softwares.

kerrydeare likes this.
  3. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

Dirk - Thanks for the reply. I looked through both the on-camera menus and the user manual, I never found any mention of an MTP setting.

4. merosen

merosen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

removed

5. Dirk Offringa

-Return to Top-

Then you should try another USB cable, preferably as short as possible. Some cables just don't work well.

6. merosen

merosen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

You can try this software, may work, doesn't officially suport x-e3
    Please login or register to view links

7. tijuana taxi

tijuana taxi Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Why not just transfer them from the SD card, most PC's have a card reader or use a separate one.
    Quicker and just as easy, don't think I have used a wired connection for years

8. merosen

merosen Premium Member

-Return to Top-

depends on wether your tethering,
    See it on the computer screen immediately after shoot, you can go back and correct lighting, positioning etc
    Stuff you would never see if you chimp on a tiny screen
    Depenends on the kind of work you do.
    When I do product I connect directly
    When I'm out and shooting around I use a card reader

9. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

Again, thanks for the suggestions.

I tried a second cable, and it still doesn't work.

A little more internet research seems to indicate that Fuji simply doesn't provide a USB driver for the X-E3 or many of their other cameras.

I have been pulling the SD card from the camera and plugging it into a card reader, which works fine. But, I would rather not have to fiddle with pulling the card each time I want to transfer files. Just plugging in a cable would be preferable. Unfortunately, looks like that is not an option.

10. Richard_R

Richard_R Eclectic eccentric Staff Member

-Return to Top-

According to the on line user manual

"Use MyFinePix Studio to copy pictures to your computer, where they can be stored, viewed, organized, and printed. MyFinePix Studio is available for download from the following website:
    Please login or register to view links
    Once download is complete, double-click the downloaded file (“MFPS_Setup.EXE”) and follow the on-screen instructions to complete installation"

11. cpu8088

cpu8088 New Member

-Return to Top-

plug usb cable to camera and the other end to a pc with windows

switch on camera and from windows add a device choose camera

then set up default saving photos to a directory in windows.

12. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

1. USB cord needs to be 1.5 meter or shorter.
    2. Plus USB cord directly into a USB port on the computer, not a hub.
    3. Camera should be off when connecting the USB cord.
    4. Watch the cameras indicator light after turning it on. Wait in till it goes out before checking computers file system for connection. (Is this correct?)
    5. Incidentally, in the cameras setup menu, Connection settings, check for something about USB. I think some other models have an item, but I see nothing on your models online manual.

13. Dirk Offringa

-Return to Top-

Well, not really, by my findings here : Please login or register to view links

It says at step 4: "Copy pictures to the computer using MyFinePix Studio or applications provided with your operating system" which means that the camera should be recognised as a USB storage device in order to be recognised by the operating system.

All cameras I know of could be recognised as a USB storage device (under Windows) since my 1st one way back in the 90's.

Anyway. Don't worry about that. The SD card connections are way more solid and reliable than the fragile USB port. I often do shootings where I use a SnapLab printer to produce prints in real time and give them out to the public. SD card will be pulled out and in some 200 times/day. I did that for at least 100 gigs over the last 2 years with my X-T1. I'm not sure that the USB connection wouldn't have failed if I had been using it. I've had at least 3 of my mobile phone's USB connections fail, plugging in and out 2 times per day at most.....

Richard_Reich likes this.
  14. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

First, thanks for all the great suggestions. I really appreciate people's input. Unfortunately, there is still no joy in USB-ville.

I downloaded FinePix, made sure I had the most recent version and tried to use it to talk to the X-E3. Still, the computer can not recognize the camera.

I next used the Windows 10 "Device" menu to try to find to the camera on the USB port. Again, the computer still simply won't recognize the camera.

Next, I downloaded the RAW converter software from the Fuji website. I was hoping maybe the converter software had a USB driver hidden it that Windows 10 would recognize and use. But, again, no luck.

I know I can remove the SD card and plug it directly into the USB , and that does work fine. I just find it very odd that the X-E3 can not be recognized by the computer. I have a handful of digital cameras, and each one would be recognized by the computer as an external drive that was easy to drag and drop files from. Omitting a simple and normally universal basic file transfer protocol seems like a major error by Fuji.

15. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

How long is your USB cable?

16. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Oh, and what is your OS version?

In the meantime, operating in Windows 10, up to date, Not with your model of Fuji but with an XT-2, After I connect the camera to the PC via a very short USB cable, and turn on the camera, yes LCD shows USB, and Windows beeps at me about a device (X-T2) and inquires what to do, now if I click on the File Explorer Icon, and navigate the file explore I see under My Computer the X-T2 (as a device) .

Also, if I right click on the Start Icon (or whatever we call the icon bottom left corner) and left click on Device Manager, under portable Devices, I see the X-T2.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  17. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

Goldingd: My USB cable is 43" (1.1 meters) long. I've tried two different cables of the same length with the same result of not recognizing the camera.

I have Windows 10 set to receive automatic updates, so I assume I am running the latest version.

I'll try the procedures you mention above and report back

1) After I connect the camera to the PC via a very short USB cable, and turn on the camera, yes LCD shows USB, and Windows beeps at me about a device (X-T2) and inquires what to do. Rear LCD on the camera does shows "USB", but there is no beeping by the computer, and no question by the computer asking what to do next.

2) if I click on the File Explorer Icon, and navigate the file explore I see under My Computer the X-T2 (as a device) . I don't see a "My Computer", but I do see a "This PC". No camera appears anywhere under the "This PC"

3) Also, if I right click on the Start Icon (or whatever we call the icon bottom left corner) and left click on Device Manager, under portable Devices, I see the X-T2. I don't see a "portable devices" option. I do not see a camera, anywhere, under Device Managers, though.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  18. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

Folks, we need someone with an X-E3 and Windows 10 to see how their camera and PC work or do not work together.

19. Goldingd

Goldingd Premium Member

-Return to Top-

I should have also re-inquired about just where on your PC rig you are plugging that US cable in at? on a hub, on a port on your monitor, on a port on your keyboard, or hopefully on a port that is part of your PC, one that is directly wired to your motherboard? You want the latter.

20. shinbone

shinbone New Member

-Return to Top-

This one:

or hopefully on a port that is part of your PC

I've tried multiple ports, both front and rear, of the PC tower, too.